Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If my group chased you 5v1 in spars for 2 or 3 hours while giving you pointers you would be able to escape 98% of people consistently, and the other 2% inconsistently. Stats/armor give you a bigger leeway for fucking up, but they're not even really that necessary beyond a reasonable point. If you've played this game for a long time and you haven't learned how to run IMO you're actively choosing to be a victim considering how easy it is.

This and also a reminder to not be judgemental of how people play the game. It's just a fucking game. Snail tricked me to come to the vgate and tried to KO me with a bow at linch market but it was more funny than anything else lmao and we kept talking like normal human beings. I had 0 clue, Snail had to explain to me what bunny slippers and forager credo do and after 1h of practise I was able to escape. It's by far the most important thing I have learned in the game.

VDZ wrote:A, without a doubt (though nettle gear is even better). Have you ever hermited before? Your strongest weapon is stealth. You're never going to win in actual battle, so the optimal strategy is to not seem worth looting. This goes beyond foraging; I've gone through the effort of 'noobing up' my base before to avoid unwanted attention. The best way to handle a conflict as the weaker party is to just not get into the conflict at all.

I am a hermit, right now. Well here is the reality, everyone has something to loot. I looted Q300+ tools from absolute noob bases or a few pieces of upgrades from a guy with 250hp and no armor. More commonly tho is a bunch of useful meat/food/tar barrels/milk or some shit that make me waste less time on my own and litterally everyone has.
The reason I asked this question is not because I don't understand you or I think you don't understand me. I think we very well know what we wanted to hear from eachother but I wanted to make you realise that there is a draw option where you don't lose or win and that this is somewhat realistic. I also think btw that the way you play the game most people play the game but you actively chose to blunder. You don't chose the worst move but it's still a blunder.
Also you secure your base by securing your base (hehe) and not by pretending to be xyz.
-build a palisade with locks in all gates
-build an airlock
-claim at least one tile wider than your pali is
-make sure noone can get inside your base through the minehole
It doesn't matter if your base looks like shit, if someone notices you build it wrong they will wreck your place (or at least gank you and steal some shit)
On the other hand if everything is sound, you gotta be sort of autistic to camp a noob for 24h to loot his milk xd and most of the time another 24 hour to slaugther/steal his animals.
But man play how you want, honestly it's just about having fun. I'm not trying to blame you for it but I try to give you a perspective about how reality looks like. 1 person at a time :D

VDZ wrote:If you're a PvPer, sure. But I carry 6 liters of water with me at most. At some point it'll run out and I get raped anyways. I'm not going to constantly carry a full belt and half an inventory of watersacks/flasks for the rare situation where I get attacked by a player.

this is what I mean, you actively choose to lose. once you progress and have silk or kill a troll you have a lot more space for water. it's an open world pvp game. you are a pvper by definition.
Pommfritz

Postby WowGain » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Jalpha wrote:Carthage was degenerate. The world is a better place without their culture and their god. Why is Moloch coming back.

Really just wanted to say that it really is a failure of the community that people like snail persist. I think everyone can agree on that, even snail.

are you schizophrenic??????????????
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Procne » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:52 pm

WowGain wrote:
Jalpha wrote:Carthage was degenerate. The world is a better place without their culture and their god. Why is Moloch coming back.

Really just wanted to say that it really is a failure of the community that people like snail persist. I think everyone can agree on that, even snail.

are you schizophrenic??????????????

I think I'm starting to be. What's the Carthage in the context of patch notes?
Procne

Postby iamahh » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 pm

jorb wrote:Added "Fig Leaf", leaf, pants.

love this noob thong, maybe any leaf could work as a noob thong
iamahh

Postby Cayur » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:00 pm

Cayur

Postby Zyean » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 pm

shubla wrote:Is fights lasting for 3 hours mostly just chasing around fun?
What if combat system was changed so that you could prevent this? Either make escaping more easy or more difficult, so that battles would be resolved in shorter time.

I have memories of escaping in legacy in a boat for long time periods, once I boated around a small island in some isolated lake for many hours..

No other game has system like this where going into fight means possibly 2-3 or more hours of just running around.

In legacy "hey come out for spar training" was mostly running 4 hours in the forest, sipping q90 water and eating sausages.

In modern hafen, it's still a lot of running, but you're actively doing things during that running, it's not like you're just shift clicking a direction for 3 hours doing nothing but drinking water
Zyean

Postby VDZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:39 pm

Pommfritz wrote:Also you secure your base by securing your base (hehe) and not by pretending to be xyz.
-build a palisade with locks in all gates
-build an airlock
-claim at least one tile wider than your pali is
-make sure noone can get inside your base through the minehole
It doesn't matter if your base looks like shit, if someone notices you build it wrong they will wreck your place (or at least gank you and steal some shit)
On the other hand if everything is sound, you gotta be sort of autistic to camp a noob for 24h to loot his milk xd and most of the time another 24 hour to slaugther/steal his animals.

I do both, obviously. My primary focus is protecting my stuff properly (claiming and walling), but within those constraints I try to make it look unimpressive. Nobody's going to siege a claim with wicker baskets containing trash.
VDZ

Postby Jalpha » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 pm

Yea, even I have stolen from unwalled claims and I swing between neutral-good and neutral-evil. This guy had pearls just sitting in a cupboard. Nice swipe. He tracked me and abused me from the outside of my palisade. Next day he had built a Pali himself.

Anyway the rules I use to avoid getting griefed (also applies in Rust btw):
Low effort, cheap, constructions
Multiple smaller bases
High cost investment to access all areas of each base
Not stockpiling large quantities of high value items.

You can go further and have alts prepared with their hearthfires at other bases so they can hearth with a cupboard of stuff you don't want to lose or have sacrificial archery alts prepared to cause some pesky wounds or a bunch of other stuff which I don't know about, can't be bothered posting and never do anyway because I'm too lazy.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Xoatl » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 pm

MightySheep wrote:The red handed reduction is really weird change. I dont recall that ever being a controversial debate. I actually thought the 1h red handed mechanic made a lot of sense because it is literally the only reason why I dont just KO every noob I walk past. Every time you see a random noob in the wild you weigh the potential that they might have something worth looting vs the nuisance of being unable to port for 1h and in 90% of cases being unable to port for 1h makes it not worth it. I dont know who youre talking to that is saying it significantly interferes with faction vs faction but I think it is way off the mark.

Who do you think? Same guy who always gaslights the devs into adding terrible features. They say faction vs faction then like a week ago that dude killed a village of noobs 1v5 outside their gate cause he has 10k stats and instead of doing "pvp" like he cries about redhanded interfering he pulls shit like that. Cant wait for him to literally be everywhere now. Thanks Loftar great update.

I agree, I learned to manage with red handed in such legitimate situations. Dealing with it as a result of robbing abandoned bases. These people bitch about red handed because they are upset they cant grief harder and faster than they already do. Whereas I actually make gains despite red handed and am ok with them. They literally just destroy and despawn everything wasting hours of their own lives for nothing but salt. Devs catering to such unnatural desires is depressing ngl.
Xoatl

Postby WowGain » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 am

Xoatl wrote:Devs catering to such unnatural desires is depressing ngl.

wee woo wee woo, moral judgements about people's irl behavior because of a literal video game

grow up
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements