Game Development: Spy-with-Eye

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spy-with-Eye

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:01 am

well I wanna try tho and removing the autism from it would be a cool start :D
Pommfritz

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:54 am

Pommfritz wrote:Do you guys just have a ton of those or am I doing something wrong?

They also decay super quick, so, no, you're not doing something wrong.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 pm

Few ideas for scrying to somewhat mitigate alts.
  • make it so there is a new curse u can use to check if perp is redhanded with his scents
  • scrying now always shows eyeball
  • if ur in 2x range of opponents perc/exp with stealth/int u get to look back
  • Dolmens must be placed in overworld

This way the enemy has some more use out of it alts wont be super insane and itll be easier to see who is dolmen scry spamming you with out making it super easy to get away.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby steelman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Vraatjuh wrote:Other then that; what will you see when the perpetrator is offline while you scry? If you see his heartfire, it's kinda useless since they will just put these in caves/houses. Maybe make it show the middle of the village they are currently part of?

Only a scent of a serious crime is used in the recipe for Scrying Juice. Therefore, the criminal will be outlawed while the juice can be crafted.
steelman

Postby KwonChiMin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Jalpha wrote:Additionally scrying without a stat check could easily lead to scrubs getting a false sense of confidence and rushing to their doom by going to face a character they have no hope of defeating.

irrelevant. cause u check person not by yours or his fighting stats.
KwonChiMin

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:02 pm

I think seeing the criminal with the scent was a really simple suggestion and as usual, in an attempt to go above and beyond, it's turned into a whole big debate.

The fact is, as a mid level player I don't know the capabilities of my foe. If I'm scented, I'm going to assume I'm being Scry'd. I'll be hiding in a basement unless I have siege objectives against that player to pursue, in which case I'll probably do whether or not I'm being scry'd, because I'm not leaving the basement for anything that doesn't have to be done.

If I'm the one Scrying, I'll always do it from a room so the void doesn't stare back. If my Scry alt can't see the foe, I'll assume I'm heavily outclassed and probably not bother tracking. If it can, I'll try to catch the fellow outside or use it in conjuncture with tracking to find their base.

All in all, I don't see much change for me. I thought the point was to give people a chance to punch up a bit, maybe catch a stronger, brazen foe in an ambush, I think stats checks limit that, not sure quite how the different stats will measure up but I know every character needs int and many crime alts have some stealth. Them being able to look back is funny. Will probably screw over the stupid and uninformed but fuck them, let's not build a game around them. I see a lot of outlaws sleeping in basements while the player hops on another characters, as usual.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Sevenless » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:06 pm

I'm not playing right now, so I can't know the ingredients. But if sCrying Juice doesn't contain onions as an ingredient I'm going to be very sad.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MadNomad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:12 pm

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Could be interesting. Being able to look back at who is scrying you is pretty funny

It's probably mostly larpy, since I expect most scrying will take place somewhere in a dark basement. In case y'all think it would be interesting/meaningful, I considered making it so that scrying must take place in the overworld so that the scryer can actually be located.

but someone who cares will simply make a second base just for scrying so that base is located instead of their main one
MadNomad

Postby telum12 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 pm

Apocoreo wrote:I think seeing the criminal with the scent was a really simple suggestion and as usual, in an attempt to go above and beyond, it's turned into a whole big debate.

The fact is, as a mid level player I don't know the capabilities of my foe. If I'm scented, I'm going to assume I'm being Scry'd. I'll be hiding in a basement unless I have siege objectives against that player to pursue, in which case I'll probably do whether or not I'm being scry'd, because I'm not leaving the basement for anything that doesn't have to be done.

If I'm the one Scrying, I'll always do it from a room so the void doesn't stare back. If my Scry alt can't see the foe, I'll assume I'm heavily outclassed and probably not bother tracking. If it can, I'll try to catch the fellow outside or use it in conjuncture with tracking to find their base.

All in all, I don't see much change for me. I thought the point was to give people a chance to punch up a bit, maybe catch a stronger, brazen foe in an ambush, I think stats checks limit that, not sure quite how the different stats will measure up but I know every character needs int and many crime alts have some stealth. Them being able to look back is funny. Will probably screw over the stupid and uninformed but fuck them, let's not build a game around them. I see a lot of outlaws sleeping in basements while the player hops on another characters, as usual.

As has been repeated multiple times across multiple update threads, you are not going to catch a much stronger player in an ambush. They will have a faster snekkja, they will run better, and their friends will port over. I don't think anyone intended scrying as a mechanic for nabs to fight back against hostile factions. Your inability to fight them has more to do with the combat system itself, possibly b12 q and fep if you've bad resources, and general skill. And there is skill in PVP. Go duel a competent pvp player in Valhalla with equal stats and gear. You're going to get clipped, mistime your cleaves, etc.

Also all of your issues are basically solved by removing the "does he see the eye" stat check, since you can just port home if you're spooked. Idk why you're hiding your toons in basements while they have outlaw, that's a bit over the top.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am

I feel entitled saying this, but 20 min red hand still feels bad. It's like going from a husband who used to break my legs now only giving me a black eye. Better, but like, still bad. After a year of this when the novelty wares off I'm still going to resent it when I get forced to KO an alt or something and waste 20 minutes even if it's not an hour. 5 minutes felt fine to me.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements