Game Development: Spy-with-Eye

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spy-with-Eye

Postby WowGain » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:OR maybe people will just be too lazy to abuse the system same as with scents / thingwalls and it will do absolutely nothing. It's really hard to guess, honestly.

it feels like there is a strong core of hafen players whos main trait seems to be being too lazy to want to do anything outside nab farming and theyll probably never change, but for anyone who was already gnawing at the bit to want to fuck around with stuff will probably start messing around with trying to find the most optimal way to add scrying into the mix but thats just my take

it seems like a very fun mechanic at its core so hopefully we'll have enough people using it that there'll be some good feedback coming in for any changes that could be necessary for the system
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:47 am

sounds super cool. i think you shouldnt know people are scrying because as others have mentioned you'll just port back to safety instantly
ChildhoodObesity

Postby ivka » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 am

OMG thank you!
The best patch in I don't remember what time!

I guess it's time to build my super larpy scrying basement and skull-farming dolmen area :twisted:
ivka

Postby KwonChiMin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:29 am

I like how you turned up the scrying idea the other way around from the form of punishment of the criminal.

Like most of the time the criminal will have more stats than the victim, the victim will have to spend resources, and at the end - will have the criminal back at them for scrying.

Gj. fk those sprucecaps.
KwonChiMin

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:50 am

IMO, knowing that you're getting tracked in general is kinda bad.
Not knowing exactly when people are looking at you, so you can't perform certain very spooky actions that could result in you getting trapped with no counter-play is bad.
The autism required to play into, or around scrying if it's being hard abused is bad.

I feel like a maybe adequate solution for the first two of those issue is faking the player being scried occasionally. Ideally, they won't be able to differentiate fakes from the real thing, but they can still act accordingly when you might be getting scried.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Vraatjuh » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:02 am

Kinda okay-ish patch?

I like the idea of scrying, I just think the perpetrator should not be able to look back at who is actually scrying though. If you looted more than one place and you get spied on, you would actually not know who's trying to get back at you.
Other then that; what will you see when the perpetrator is offline while you scry? If you see his heartfire, it's kinda useless since they will just put these in caves/houses. Maybe make it show the middle of the village they are currently part of?

Or make it so that during the red handed debuff it shows location, but after this time expires it always shows the village instead of the character. Else the chances of catching them offline/afking in a basement is just too big I'd say.
Vraatjuh

Postby mvgulik » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:22 am

(... Aha, nevermind. Got it)
mvgulik

Postby Jalpha » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:34 am

The two major points people seem to be missing are that third parties can detect the scy eye on scryed characters.

And that if you get dunked by a high tier player you will need to recruit high tier assistance anyway so the stat checks are irrelevant to nabs. Because scrying someone for free means nothing to you if you don't have the stats to do anything about it.

Additionally scrying without a stat check could easily lead to scrubs getting a false sense of confidence and rushing to their doom by going to face a character they have no hope of defeating.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am

Did anyone actually build those items and start scrying? Also nobody cries about the fact that it costs a mandrake root to build which I have tbh no idea how to get xD Do you guys just have a ton of those or am I doing something wrong?

When I thought the idea of troll eye scents was cool I was more thinking about picking up a scent and then just right clicking on it to spy on the perpetrator (should be fine with a stat check here I guess) which would allow me to have a higher chance of getting my items back quickly in case the perpetrator is still red handed. Instead now you guys put your own spin on it and made it sort of inaccessible. Like if I get KO'd and/or my shit get's stolen/ snekkja get's bashed or whatever would cause me to go after someone I'd have to search a fucking mandrake root that decays so I can't prepare for those situations, then after probably a bit of searching I can build those item's just to see that the perpetrator is chilling in his basement already. To me the idea sounded great but the way it turns out I'd probably never use it.
BUT maybe I'm missing something I have not build the thing yet and was not able to test around with it.

Also if you get scyred on when someone uses it, you'll just port home if you see the eye. However if it was more accessible like I imagined and the guy is still on a 20min red handed timer I could see it making the situation of the perpetrator seeing that he gets scyred on while red handed a lot more interesting.

edit: hell man I'd actually go around actively looking for scents to see if I can catch some randoms being redhanded and if that accessibility would be a problem for bigger scale pvp then the problem is that there is no difference between objective pvp and crime/griefing and not about this pretty dope mechanic

edit2: also going back to the dolmen to do the thing wtf xD the perpetrators have a really really easy time to get away. I think it makes a lot more sense to be able to spy on them while you are on the go the only downswide being that you are not moving at the time that you are spying.
Last edited by Pommfritz on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pommfritz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am

P sure mandrake root spawns are still broken but my sample size is probably not statistically relevant

@pom you're not going to get to use these mechanics significantly without intense autism and or bots xd I don't think you should try
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements