DevStream 2021-12-20, 20:00 UTC

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: DevStream 2021-12-20, 20:00 UTC

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:24 pm

kinda dumb that 40 minutes of a bi-yearly stream gets taken up responding to blatant trolls requesting the removal of PVP : P
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby donatas081294 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Jeez devs, you do remember that you have youtube account right?
How do you expect people to know that your game exists if you don't uploaded your stream to youtube?
Yes yes facebook, twitter and twitch was a good move, but don't forget your other social platforms like youtube.
I think that's all they have right now, right?
Also boats of sky or whatever it was is it still a thing?
donatas081294

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:33 pm

shubla wrote:Still think there should be some better way to give in questions than the chat. People repeat same questions and it becomes just sad spam.
Forum thread or something where you go 1 by 1 over each reply as they come. With only short comments on stream chat, not questions and such.

+1

also @jorb you said if stats don't matter why do you bother then?

to be clear stats matter to some degree obviously. but there are areas where stats don't matter much and these are quite big, for example being within 0.5-2x of each others stats
UA/ MC is completely balanced within this area
Agi as I understand is sort of capped that if you go below 0.5x you won't attack even slower
str and con are not balanced like this but generally it only matters if the skill of the players are equal, and those stats make some difference obviously.

So, in this way stats don't matter much.

However I think making them matter even less instead of making the food system more straightforward is the wrong approach.
Most of the people I would fight for example are not even aware of how high stats can go because there is just no clear way to see what the good foods are and it's just a gamble or 3rd party databases, or ridiculous tedium to figure out (which gives no lifers/ try hards even more advantage/gap on them). Therefore plebs are almost always in the area where stats matter, meaning they almost allways run into people with 10-20x their stats and 3-5x their gear quality if they even wear any at all.

If the food system would be more straight forward those players would more easily figure out how to get into areas where stats don't matter much, because they are not handycapped by the complexity of this system.

I thought of some suggestion a while back that would be still complex but far easier to understand.
for example take meat, it will have a base value of feps
combine that meat into a recipe with other ingredients could give 10% boost of the total fep combined (maybe per ingredient) into this recipe.
specific types of spices will enhance specific stats, for example chives could boost agi feps by 1.2x if used in a recipe.
-> you could kind of mix and match what you need.
wood for smoking could work similiar like those spices.
a system like this would still be complex and would be fun to discover and you would have a good feeling of what to combine and what to get out of the food and it would be far simpler and less random than the current system litterally no sprucecap will understand.
I have broken into many bases by now and it's always a shame when they already cooked their meat, it's ridiculous what they can manage to put together with the good raw ingredients they have and then wonder why the powergap is so high if they think 200 stats is the best they can do.
It would also be cool to add tooltips to those spices/ smoking woods to see what they do or some sort of discovery once used but I understand if that's not within the possibility.
(this is just a simple example and the numbers are pulled out of my ass, balance them as you wish if you think this can make it into the game)

That's my take on it at least.
Pommfritz

Postby dafels » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:35 pm

shubla wrote:Still think there should be some better way to give in questions than the chat. People repeat same questions and it becomes just sad spam.
Forum thread or something where you go 1 by 1 over each reply as they come. With only short comments on stream chat, not questions and such.

i agree, the devs are spending too much valuable stream time on the shitters
dafels

Postby VDZ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:47 pm

Regarding food optimization, I elaborated in more detail in my recent C&I post, but in the stream the devs assumed you either optimize to the max to be competitive or you eat whatever random trash you come across. This simply isn't true. If you try to make any kind of meaningful progress, even if you have no ambitions of being competitive, you will be aware of the hunger system. And as someone in the comments pointed out, most food is trash. My problem isn't that I eat 20% less efficiently than the top players, my problem is that I need external resources to get even 50% of the FEPs I could be getting with the materials I have. Experimenting is extremely wasteful because due to the way the hunger system currently works it's counterproductive to eat the trash you generate when not relying on data you have to look up every time (because the hunger value wrecks your further gains). You have to throw out what you make unless it's good enough, and that feels bad. And when you get to low energy and you actually have to eat the trash, it feels very bad.

I think most of this gets resolved by simply getting rid of 300% and 200%, allowing you to quickly recover from suboptimal eating rather than being forced to deal with the consequences for ages.

Also, the devs briefly implied that you can now safely get into PvP situations due to being practically guaranteed to survive at perfect health. While it is true you are essentially guaranteed to survive, you do lose all of your gear whenever you get KOed in PvP, and that is often a very significant loss. For me at least it's a reason to avoid PvP at all costs.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:48 pm

I wonder if by server parallelization you meant dividing the same world into multiple computers or that currently everything is done with just 1 core in server and you'd want to use multiple cores?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby wolf1000wolf » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:49 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:kinda dumb that 40 minutes of a bi-yearly stream gets taken up responding to blatant trolls requesting the removal of PVP : P

I for one enjoyed the discussion from jorb and loftar on their view of PvP as a conflict resolution mechanic. Sure, the balance and implementation isn't where they want it to be but at least there's a clear vision.
wolf1000wolf

Postby jorb » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:49 pm

donatas081294 wrote:Jeez devs, you do remember that you have youtube account right?
How do you expect people to know that your game exists if you don't uploaded your stream to youtube?
Yes yes facebook, twitter and twitch was a good move, but don't forget your other social platforms like youtube.
I think that's all they have right now, right?

The upload is processing as we speak! Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmM6mY7pzPY

Also boats of sky or whatever it was is it still a thing?

Always.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:52 pm

Thanks for the stream tonight, guys. Fun!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby VDZ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:54 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:kinda dumb that 40 minutes of a bi-yearly stream gets taken up responding to blatant trolls requesting the removal of PVP : P

I for one enjoyed the discussion from jorb and loftar on their view of PvP as a conflict resolution mechanic. Sure, the balance and implementation isn't where they want it to be but at least there's a clear vision.

If you want to learn more about how devs view PvP, you can read this post from 2011 that has been stickied for over 6 years now that explains what they were saying on the stream in more detail.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements