Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Postby Massa » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:PvP is just in the game because they are 100% against in-game moderation and thus have settled on PvP as the alternative (and default) mechanism by which players settle their differences.

reading this was the most disgusting thing that has disgraced my eyesight in the last year
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby wolf1000wolf » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:18 am

Massa wrote:
wolf1000wolf wrote:PvP is just in the game because they are 100% against in-game moderation and thus have settled on PvP as the alternative (and default) mechanism by which players settle their differences.

reading this was the most disgusting thing that has disgraced my eyesight in the last year
telum12 wrote:
wolf1000wolf wrote:If you PvP diehards listened to the stream you'll find the devs stated that HnH is not meant to be a "pvp game".

PvP is just in the game because they are 100% against in-game moderation and thus have settled on PvP as the alternative (and default) mechanism by which players settle their differences.

Ah yes, a game where you can kill anyone, make thrones out of their skulls, siege and destroy bases, etc., etc... I see your point. Sorry we thought this was a pvp-orientated game. Completely misunderstood!

Go watch the stream?
wolf1000wolf

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:17 am

wolf1000wolf wrote:Go watch the stream?

Is there something in the stream that's any different than their views about it for the last 12+ years? In case you're wondering, that whole "dev thoughts on PvP" post was originally posted circa 2010, 2011. Making such decisions has the obvious and thought out consequences, thus this is a PvP game, even if it isn't designed as a "PvP game."

Out of all the time I've played the last 11+ years, I think I've had, 3 or 4 or so actual hostile PvP interactions in the game if I've played strictly as a hermit. As a small village with a few friends or family, where we were trying to just "small group" run without interacting with others in the area much, it doesn't grow by much. Maybe that's an anomaly in how few hostile interactions I've had, but I'm thinking if people are experiencing more, it's because of decisions made about various factors of the game (or just bad circumstances, but even those can be controlled by making other decisions).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wolf1000wolf » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:40 am

This might be a misunderstanding of terminology and nuance?

To me, a "PvP game" refers to something like Albion or EVE - where the game is designed with the intention of having PvP be the primary driver of player activity and engagement.

HnH has PvP for sure and perhaps in its current state, PvP might also be the main driver of player activity. However, my main point is the devs seem to want HnH to be more.

The devs ultimate goal seem to be a game that lies in the goldilocks zone of creation vs destruction... all decided by the players.

Sure we seem to be pretty far from that goal but that doesn't mean we should just ignore the original game intention and settle.
wolf1000wolf

Postby VDZ » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:56 am

MagicManICT wrote:
wolf1000wolf wrote:Go watch the stream?

Is there something in the stream that's any different than their views about it for the last 12+ years? In case you're wondering, that whole "dev thoughts on PvP" post was originally posted circa 2010, 2011. Making such decisions has the obvious and thought out consequences, thus this is a PvP game, even if it isn't designed as a "PvP game."

Well, if I had to note something that was more apparent in the stream than in the post and that is relevant in the context of this thread: The devs implied they are not fully opposed to the removal of PvP, but simply lack an alternative way to deter griefing to fulfill the role PvP has now. Which, in turn, implies they do not see PvP as a fundamental component in their vision, but rather as a part of the glue that makes it all work as a game. And if the devs do not see PvP as a core aspect of Haven & Hearth, then at the very least it's not intended to be a PvP game.
VDZ

Postby Sevenless » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:09 pm

Sandbox crafting games inevitably need a resource sink, only ones I've seen really work in the sense of making crafters happy to produce goods are pvp sinks. Things like tool decay and the like don't generate "fun" for anyone, but pvp does for certain types of players. Just have to be careful crafters don't get pvped so much they lose interest in the game.

This is more of a general viewpoint, not one specific to haven. I've been a sucker for this genre ever since haven first got me into it and I've played nearly every one out there.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby telum12 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:58 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:This might be a misunderstanding of terminology and nuance?

To me, a "PvP game" refers to something like Albion or EVE - where the game is designed with the intention of having PvP be the primary driver of player activity and engagement.

HnH has PvP for sure and perhaps in its current state, PvP might also be the main driver of player activity. However, my main point is the devs seem to want HnH to be more.

The devs ultimate goal seem to be a game that lies in the goldilocks zone of creation vs destruction... all decided by the players.

Sure we seem to be pretty far from that goal but that doesn't mean we should just ignore the original game intention and settle.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and moves like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Also EVE literally has huge parts of the game where PVP is heavily punished. PVP is only a real driver in nullsec and wormholes. HnH is more pvp-leaning than EVE in that regard, since everything in HnH is basically wormholes in EVE.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby mvgulik » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:48 pm

Added "Igloo", building made from snow. It will melt in spring!

Looking forward to first "wtf, I was killed by melting igloo" post.
mvgulik

Postby Pills » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:24 am

loftar wrote:
Jessie wrote:I mean, were the Christmas sprucecaps not given out as a sub hat?

Indeed that is so.

Would have been nice to give it to people who bought the 1 year gold sub.
Pills

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:25 am

this is a pvp game?
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements