Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:33 pm

winter fucking suckkkkkkks
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby telum12 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:30 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:winter fucking suckkkkkkks

-1 im having FUN studying these dops xmas lights
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:43 am

will consider
Pommfritz

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:56 pm

will be there a patch this week?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby jordancoles » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 am

noindyfikator wrote:will be there a patch this week?

Jorb and Loftar take like 3 months off for Christmas
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Massa » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 am

jordancoles wrote:

it's yule there bro
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Harthel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:20 pm

telum12 wrote:Also EVE literally has huge parts of the game where PVP is heavily punished. PVP is only a real driver in nullsec and wormholes. HnH is more pvp-leaning than EVE in that regard, since everything in HnH is basically wormholes in EVE.

But in EVE there is a lot of overlap with PVE & PVP, it's very synergistic. Nullsec and Wormholes are considered engame content, right? (I stopped playing around the time wormholes were introduced iirc). There is a clear risk/reward.

In Haven, imo, PVP basically exists to either troll people or to stop people from trolling you.

I think Haven could benefit from safe zone(s) where players can congregate freely, to meet up and trade, etc but PVP is disabled. The game relies too much on the players to create such a place themselves, which is never actually safe. A small town like Boston in Salem (the short-lived Paradox game) or like a basic sanctuary/tutorial island that all new players start in could work. That also gives players the option to 'opt in' to PVP by leaving the sanctuary.

At the very least, I would think, that would make it so that the only people complaining about PVP are the ones that opted into it.
Harthel

Postby ducklingSand » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:10 pm

Permanent death and ancestral worship system are amazing features unique to H&H.
The Problem is not PVP and not permadeath. I actually think we lack it in the current state of H&H.

The Problem is the unrealistic difference between characters in PVP. Peaceful farmers should be able to kill even experienced ganker if they act organized and smarter - it's realistic.
Equipment and weapons can't differ so much in efficiency in the real world. People can't differ so much in fighting ability in the real world.

I think PVP should be more about the intelligence, skill of a player. Not about stats and quality of gear. It should be realistic! And devs of H&H like no other project know how to make amazing realization of realistic mechanics.
As a PVP player I want a worthy foe in every game I play. I want to feel the thrill of PVP. Even if I want to gank a peaceful farmer it still should be a risk for me - he always should be able to kill me back - by surprise lucky attack or by making a trap or by some poison on his dagger.

So I wish the PVP and combat system would be more realistic. Not only about digits, but more about possible moves and counter moves. If a bear attacks you can't parry it with a weapon or with a shield - if he mauls you - you're probably dead - no matter the "quality" of your armor. So you should keep your distance - use a spear, use dogs to assist you or set up a trap. And a bear is also made from flesh.

But if you're a person with a spear - your enemy always has a possibility to catch it and break it. Before you get your sword from a sheath he has some precious time to kill you with his dagger. Or probably even suffocate you with his bare hands(strength difference check here). Probably you were a much better swordsman(with much better stats) - trained with hundreds of hours invested in a skill of fencing and you had a piece of art sword. Boasted on forums how good you're. But you're already dead before you have the chance to show your fencing skills.

So probably combat should be different types of dynamic scenarios to choose from depending on what was before in this fight. How do I see it? No more prepared combat moves. In a fight there are choices that appear on your screen and you should choose one of them. And you have limited time to make a decision. Some of them are gear dependent, some of them situation dependent, some of them are skill check and so on. So skill in PVP will be how fast you choose the best possible choice(scenario) assessing your enemy and environment.

For example, the enemy knows that you're bleeding and he can choose more defensive scenarios waiting for you to bleed out. Or the enemy sees that you use heavy armor - he will always be more effective in some scenarios and should always outrun you. Or with an axe you have a higher chance to crush an enemy shield. Also with some type of axe you can throw it to the enemy, but will lose some time and will be fragile before you get your secondary weapon - so it can be lethal if your enemy dodged your throw(or blocked it with a shield and his shield is now permanently broken), but he was too close to you and fast moving because he's using light armor. And you're already decapitated by his sword. So you should assess each of these situations while your enemy is also making choices.

Newbie farmer in humble clothes is always faster than a ganker in heavy armor. But the ganker can throw something(dagger, spear or axe). And accuracy of this throw depends on some digit, but also on distance and what the farmer does - for example he stands near trees and uses special environmental scenarios - to hide behind a tree.
Also, a person with heavy armor is almost immune to slice attacks and arrows. But blunt attacks are good against it. Or precise stab attacks. And an axe colliding with plate works like a weaker blunt attack obviously - just because of its mass and speed, but can break and become dull fast from such attacks - it can be crucial in another fight 5 minutes later.
Also with plate gloves you can catch an enemy sword and use this fact for your advantage.

In another situation ganker uses light armor and also runs fast, but he will be vulnerable to any attacks from a farmer if it hits him. For example sling or bow. Or just cast a stone by hand. High chance to dodge(our ganker trained a lot), but there is also a possibility that it will hit(even to a head) and will be lethal. Arrows also could be poisonous. But our ganker trained himself against venoms by increasing his WILL for example - it will make it weaker, but still it can kill in combination with other wounds. Or arrows can be specially made dirty - plunged to cow's shit or something like this to slightly increase the chance of infection.
Using a shield? The farmer can kick your shield and there is a chance that you will fall(especially high if there are particular types of ground/environment - dirt or slope for example).
If you're on a horse - horses can be easily killed with a spear and you will fall and falling damage will be dependent on the weight of your armor. So with a horse you don't run to a person with a spear in hand if you don't have a spear also.

Each fight will be a unique story. Probably it will be possible to boast fight logs on the forum.

If you like this idea - feel free to spread, develop or use it.
ducklingSand

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:30 pm

will there be an update this year?
Pommfritz

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 am

jordancoles wrote:

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements