Game Development: Raft Notified

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Raft Notified

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 am

Client updates are good. You guys should update this icon menu to have categories, e.g. animals, trees, bushes, foragables, rocks, etc. It's really annoying to navigate. Maybe let us make our own categories and import other user's.
DDDsDD999

Postby sMartins » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 am

Nightdawg wrote:- The ability to add our own custom sounds

Already there!
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Pills » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:21 am

Black coal notification?
Pills

Postby axus » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:34 am

The detect player notification triggers when moving between buildings / floors. Same as the little player icon on the map.
axus

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:08 am

axus wrote:The detect player notification triggers when moving between buildings / floors.

On the default client? I can't reproduce that at all.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby strpk0 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:29 am

loftar wrote:
axus wrote:The detect player notification triggers when moving between buildings / floors.

On the default client? I can't reproduce that at all.

Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:18 am

Hey, really good update with the alarms. It's functionally better than our in-house alarms in a lot of regards, even if it could be improved.

This shit makes me wanna kill myself, and will prolly end up resulting in a bunch of retarded PVP strats. Pls don't make me learn an entire new ruleset for movement and memorize which of the 10,000 gobs are gonna block my shit
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 am

Not sure whats point of default client features like these though when everybody will still use custom clients. Hope they don't take too much on the development time.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby strpk0 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:34 am

shubla wrote:Not sure whats point of default client features like these though when everybody will still use custom clients. Hope they don't take too much on the development time.

• Officially supported code made by loftar is better than the workarounds custom clients have to resort to. Nobody understands his own codebase better than him, and it's generally a good learning experience to figure out how he does things.
  • Features like mass transferring items become a server side feature, so there's less network congestion in the game.
  • New custom client projects have less of a laundry list of features to go through before becoming useful to the community.
  • Whenever custom clients die (like yours), people can fall back to default and have it be less of a disadvantage.

I think spending time adding the more popular features into the default client, or just improving it in general is always a good time investment. Not sure why people disagree given the current state of most custom clients being dead (except ender's, bless him)/mostly broken patched together pre-render messes like bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg ard client.

Plus, even if the features aren't complete by the community's standards it's a lot cleaner to work with existing code and improve it, rather than do everything from scratch yourself.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby axus » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 am

shubla wrote:Not sure whats point of default client features like these though when everybody will still use custom clients. Hope they don't take too much on the development time.

I'm using vanilla, don't want to depend on a client that goes unsupported one day, and don't want to make my own client.

loftar you are probably playing in the server room, therefore has no lag and can't reproduce :D Try on a VPN. I did enable the alarm sound as shown in the screenshot above.
axus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements