A Plea for Moderation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby VDZ » Tue May 03, 2022 2:08 am

WowGain wrote:regardless of how much you actually understand the topic to begin with

WowGain wrote:its compounded even more by you being so painfully ignorant about so many things

If I am wrong, then correct me. That's what a discussion is about, right? Exchanging arguments to convince other people of your viewpoint or at least nuance theirs (and in turn having your own viewpoints adjusted by new information you get from others).

WowGain wrote:but downright refusing to change your stance on any of them regardless of how many times people try to explain it to you. people give up because it is pointless to try and convince a brick wall of anything.

Post sufficiently good arguments, and I will change my stance. Just recently I did a 180 in the discussion about Mvgulik's wiki behavior because you backed up Bumfrog's claim with irrefutable arguments. Even if you don't convince me, others reading the thread may be convinced by your arguments. Either way, joining the discussion properly will provide everyone with more information so they will have a better-informed view of whatever was being discussed.
VDZ

Postby bumfrog » Tue May 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Difference between “effortposting” and making every response half-a-page

Also effort and length are not directly proportional. I could type six pages of sheer nonsense in minutes (seconds, if I copy-pasted). Or spend hours boiling a rambling, essay-length post into two or three brief ideas that convey my point without so much drivel

Oh and it’s a question of volume. If a user makes one gigapost, whatever most people won’t read it but it doesn’t really matter. But if a single user feels like EVERY thread is incomplete without their four-paragraph opinion, then a ton of long responses to other people’s posts, well it gets tiresome that every thread gets clogged up with their wordspew
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 pm

Long form can be motivated, but a TLDR/Executive summary helps sell it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby VDZ » Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 pm

jorb wrote:Long form can be motivated, but a TLDR/Executive summary helps sell it.

My problem is not with some people disliking long posts, but with those people trying to discourage long posts (or indeed anything beyond a couple lines). There's no point to spending effort writing proper arguments if everybody is discouraged from going deeper into discussion than just a handful of dumbed down sentences (or worse, '+1 I agree').
VDZ

Postby telum12 » Fri May 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Serious question: Is there an official stance on death threats and doxxing? Because we had an individual (Ferinex) make irl threats and then dox a person. He even later said he knew where the devs live and was going to sweden, clarifying afterwards: "that is an actionable death threat."

That person is still posting on the forums. I'd assume shit like that would result in a permanent ban...

I notice all the forum posts where he admits to all of this were deleted. Looks like a mod did it since all the people quoting him also had their posts deleted.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri May 06, 2022 3:03 pm

telum12 wrote:Serious question: Is there an official stance on death threats and doxxing? Because we had an individual (Ferinex) make irl threats and then dox a person. He even later said he knew where the devs live and was going to sweden, clarifying afterwards: "that is an actionable death threat."

That person is still posting on the forums. I'd assume shit like that would result in a permanent bad...

I notice all the forum posts where he admits to all of this were deleted. Looks like a mod did it since all the people quoting him also had their posts deleted.

Serious serious questions, yeah. I would think of all things "I'm going to go to Sweden and Literally Kill the developers of the game," would be grounds for some form of discipline.

edit: this is, I suppose, pending verification of discord logs because that shit is so easily manipulated it's not even funny
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri May 06, 2022 3:19 pm

When the devs were offline for a month or whatever recently, I was genuinely thinking, like, I wonder if that psycho killed them.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby CorwinOfAmber » Fri May 06, 2022 10:32 pm

telum12 wrote:Serious question: Is there an official stance on death threats and doxxing? Because we had an individual (Ferinex) make irl threats and then dox a person. He even later said he knew where the devs live and was going to sweden, clarifying afterwards: "that is an actionable death threat."

That person is still posting on the forums. I'd assume shit like that would result in a permanent ban...

you can tell us it's not fair to remove him because we dont like him but you cant tell us it's not fair when he does what in some places is illegal.
Loftar wrote:
Right, I realized that the other day but apparently forgot it as quickly again. Thanks!

Uephorias wrote:
And the game isn't dead, just on life support indefinitely
CorwinOfAmber

Postby VDZ » Sat May 07, 2022 4:20 am

telum12 wrote:I notice all the forum posts where he admits to all of this were deleted. Looks like a mod did it since all the people quoting him also had their posts deleted.

Could have been in the 'Blocked from (onofficial) H&H discord channel(s).' thread or the previous Plea, both were hard-deleted. I know the former is still partially available at web.archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20220302025 ... 3&start=10
Not sure if the latter can still be found anywhere.

Audiosmurf wrote:verification of discord logs

Yeah, good luck with that unless they have a bot logging it all. As far as I'm aware even admins cannot view deleted messages or even see there ever were messages that have since been deleted. (This is particularly frustrating when there's multiple active moderators; other moderators can't see the since-deleted messages a person was banned for so they have no idea about the circumstances under which someone was banned if it was done by another mod.)
VDZ

Postby bumfrog » Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 pm

another epic day with no mods

“Will consider” maybe looking into it this week too?
bumfrog
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements