A Plea for Moderation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby bumfrog » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:11 pm

jorb wrote:I split the thread off at what seemed like the first derail, quite simply. The phpbb interface for post splitting is atrocious, and does not lend itself well to precision.

Didn’t realize, sorry to hear that. Perhaps forum infrastructure from within the past decade can be the next big project “in the pipe”?

Speaking of which, in the latter half of my post I wondered how the search for new forum moderators was going. Any news on that front?
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby VDZ » Mon May 02, 2022 5:24 pm

Not strictly moderation-related, but as this seems to effectively be the general meta thread in absence of one: What's up with some people being so hostile to discussion on the forum lately? Long-form discussions certainly aren't for everyone, but why are you on a forum if you hate them? I don't go on Discord and complain about how people are only sending short messages and conversations are fast-paced, brief and unfocused, because that's just how Discord works. Why are there people on a forum who seem allergic to reading a few paragraphs and, apparently worse, posts properly and extensively responding to arguments posted by others, particularly when it goes back and forth a few times as should be expected of a discussion?

I understand the broader cultural trend is to just stick with like-minded people and heckle anyone who holds significantly contrasting viewpoints, but I find it bizarre to not just find this behavior in places specifically designed to elicit and facilitate long-form discussion, but even see people condemning the use of forums for their original intended purpose.

It's not breaking any rules (usually) and taking mod action against such attitudes would be rather questionable considering you'd effectively be policing undesired opinions, but I can't help but feel this increasingly negative attitude can only serve to disrupt, diminish and erode discussion (and particularly the willingness to engage therein).
VDZ

Postby WowGain » Mon May 02, 2022 11:35 pm

VDZ wrote:Not strictly moderation-related, but as this seems to effectively be the general meta thread in absence of one: What's up with some people being so hostile to discussion on the forum lately? Long-form discussions certainly aren't for everyone, but why are you on a forum if you hate them? I don't go on Discord and complain about how people are only sending short messages and conversations are fast-paced, brief and unfocused, because that's just how Discord works. Why are there people on a forum who seem allergic to reading a few paragraphs and, apparently worse, posts properly and extensively responding to arguments posted by others, particularly when it goes back and forth a few times as should be expected of a discussion?

I understand the broader cultural trend is to just stick with like-minded people and heckle anyone who holds significantly contrasting viewpoints, but I find it bizarre to not just find this behavior in places specifically designed to elicit and facilitate long-form discussion, but even see people condemning the use of forums for their original intended purpose.

It's not breaking any rules (usually) and taking mod action against such attitudes would be rather questionable considering you'd effectively be policing undesired opinions, but I can't help but feel this increasingly negative attitude can only serve to disrupt, diminish and erode discussion (and particularly the willingness to engage therein).

ill answer your question
nobody likes YOUR discussion vdz, because all you do is type up college-essay length responses to everything regardless of how much you actually understand the topic to begin with
this is a video game forum man not plato's academy. there is literally nothing more irritating than some gigantic dork slapping his keyboard for 40 minutes to constantly print out some massive essay with fucking wikipedia citations. if you think its showing us how much of a well-educated erudite you are its not, its just annoying
its compounded even more by you being so painfully ignorant about so many things but downright refusing to change your stance on any of them regardless of how many times people try to explain it to you. people give up because it is pointless to try and convince a brick wall of anything.
Last edited by WowGain on Mon May 02, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby DonVelD » Mon May 02, 2022 11:45 pm

VDZ wrote:Not strictly moderation-related, but as this seems to effectively be the general meta thread in absence of one: What's up with some people being so hostile to discussion on the forum lately? Long-form discussions certainly aren't for everyone, but why are you on a forum if you hate them? I don't go on Discord and complain about how people are only sending short messages and conversations are fast-paced, brief and unfocused, because that's just how Discord works. Why are there people on a forum who seem allergic to reading a few paragraphs and, apparently worse, posts properly and extensively responding to arguments posted by others, particularly when it goes back and forth a few times as should be expected of a discussion?

It's really tiring to read the enormous posts when most of it just comes down to "No, I disagree" (with arguments why ofc but still, you could just say "I disagree because of X, Y, and Z" and be done with the post), keeping it short makes it more manageable to read dude. I usually just skim over the posts and believe me, I've tried to read it all before but I got tired of it after the tenth post.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Halbertz » Tue May 03, 2022 12:09 am

I will join the gentlemen above. Everyone should have the right to speak out. Tiresome volume of your posts overrides politeness and neutral style (that I personally like). There is a proverb in my homeland: "Brevity is the sister of talent." There are enough members in the "annoy everyone" club, you don't have to be one of them.
Halbertz

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue May 03, 2022 12:11 am

Effortposting is a good thing not a bad thing.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Uephorias » Tue May 03, 2022 12:22 am

>multiple people explicitly stating that well thought out, high effort posts and intelligent discussion are annoying and not welcome
were we not in a moderation thread, I'd say enough to get myself banned
Uephorias

Postby jock » Tue May 03, 2022 12:29 am

Uephorias wrote:>multiple people explicitly stating that well thought out, high effort posts and intelligent discussion are annoying and not welcome

This is the crop of most haven players :D They want an agreement with them, anything beyond that is too much for the hamster running the wheel.
jock

Postby DonVelD » Tue May 03, 2022 12:33 am

Audiosmurf wrote:Effortposting is a good thing not a bad thing.

Eh true but still it gets tiring when every post is like this imo. What I'm saying is its entirely acceptable, he just needs to split some posts from time to time.

Uephorias wrote:>multiple people explicitly stating that well thought out, high effort posts and intelligent discussion are annoying and not welcome

>get asked why i dislike the way someone writes his posts
>answer why i dislike it in a nice way
>"wow man i'd flame you so hard right now"
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Tue May 03, 2022 12:39 am

Audiosmurf wrote:Effortposting is a good thing not a bad thing.

sorry to have to be the one to inform you two of this, but long =/= good. thats all im saying on the matter though. not getting blamed for another "flame war".
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements