Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:47 pm

loftar wrote:

Oh, fair enough. I don't see any issues then

Would you be down to publish a list of similar features/keybinds? I'm fairly certain <1% of the player-base knows about stuff like the wagon inventory keybind thing or the garden pot thing or this
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 pm

loftar wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any (reasonable/intended) way to remove this (south facing) cliff

Maybe your inability to do so stems from not knowing the aforementioned digging mechanics, but this is how I'd do it:

Welp, still broken lmao
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:51 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
loftar wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any (reasonable/intended) way to remove this (south facing) cliff

Maybe your inability to do so stems from not knowing the aforementioned digging mechanics, but this is how I'd do it:

Welp, still broken lmao

sounds like you just dont want to understand digging mechanics
Zentetsuken

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:52 pm

No wait, I fixed it

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Schattengaenger » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 pm

loftar wrote:
fairystyle wrote:Tries to run into nod, but ends up stopping there doing nothing I guess

Right, you're trying to drop soil on that exact vertex, causing the character to into climbing mode.

Admittedly I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere (I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't, and that should probably be fixed), but there is a mechanic by which you can Ctrl+Shift-click with soil on a tile to raise all the four corners of it to the level of the highest corner, and that works by walking to the center of said tile, avoiding the climbing mode. In other words, hold soil, and Ctrl+Shift+Right-click on the green X:
a.png

The same mechanic exists for digging as well, Ctrl+dig-click to level a tile down to the level of the lowest corner.

Thank you for the information but this is still pretty clumsy for actual landscaping. I like that we can jump arbetrarily high cliffs don't get me wrong, but that cliff jumping mode is screwing you so often that I wish there would be a toggle to disable it. Would that be a possibility?
Schattengaenger

Postby Clemins » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:02 am

jorb wrote:

Waiting for the test server!

Clemins

Postby jock » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:03 am

Nightdawg wrote:No wait, I fixed it

mind blown
jock

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:03 am

If only for completeness, here is also a strategy for building ridges:

Nightdawg wrote:No wait, I fixed it

Does H.264 work better for you than VP9? Are you reading the forums on some Apple device? I don't know of anything else that doesn't support WebM.

Schattengaenger wrote:that cliff jumping mode is screwing you so often that I wish there would be a toggle to disable it. Would that be a possibility?

Perhaps. I'll have to check what the consequences are, but will consider, I guess.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby fairystyle » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:04 am

loftar wrote:
fairystyle wrote:Tries to run into nod, but ends up stopping there doing nothing I guess

Right, you're trying to drop soil on that exact vertex, causing the character to into climbing mode.

Admittedly I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere (I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't, and that should probably be fixed), but there is a mechanic by which you can Ctrl+Shift-click with soil on a tile to raise all the four corners of it to the level of the highest corner, and that works by walking to the center of said tile, avoiding the climbing mode. In other words, hold soil, and Ctrl+Shift+Right-click on the green X:
a.png

The same mechanic exists for digging as well, Ctrl+dig-click to level a tile down to the level of the lowest corner.

Yeah, I'd just say pre-climbing mode in this case
Those are some really cool combos, I am excited to use them more, thank you. Regret I didn't figure them randmoly on my own, could save ton of time
Also, it worked, you were right! Feels like scaffold had to deal with that part though (the way other scaffolds did the magic until line changed direction).
These combos are BIG, maybe it's actually a good idea to edit the patch note and add them as "P.S.", so you get less of similar questions :roll:

Now back to testing! Will try to deal with turns..
fairystyle

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:05 am

No way, there was a feature that allowed to dig all 4 tile corners one by one, without standing on a dot?

How much things like that we don't know yet?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements