Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Postby vatas » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:10 pm

I could only watch the video that loftar posted after opening it in a new tab, embed refused to play.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby fulma » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:24 pm

why u guys aint remaking the game on godot?
fulma

Postby Massa » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:25 pm

Yes Jorb and Loftar, listen to this weird ass mf with 15 posts total. Remake your ENTIRE game overnight on a new engine. That's the call, boys.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:32 pm

fulma wrote:godot?

godot deez nuts
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Pickard » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:42 pm

Massa wrote:Yes Jorb and Loftar, listen to this weird ass mf with 15 posts total. Remake your ENTIRE game overnight on a new engine. That's the call, boys.

Everything is better than fixing this stinking pile of crap so called hafen game client.
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby vatas » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:11 pm

In hindsight, Jorbtar choosing Java as their programming language was most likely a mistake.

Main purpose it was chosen was the ability to run client in the web browser. (IIRC devs explicitly said this.) While Runescape had used this to create massive success, Haven ended up having to download custom clients anyway, so this had almost zero benefit. Also Java web start was discontinued entirely few years back.

Don't fall into the trap of blaming every single technical issue of the game on Java, most of the time the client simply wasn't properly optimized. The regular posts on forums about how people can't even start a game aren't a good sign either.

Java is still one of the most used programming languages based on Github statistics, but aside from Minecraft Java Edition (which seems to be a legacy version anyway) there doesn't seem to be any games using it. Problem of this is that many features that game software would wish to have, is either low priority or ignored by the Java developer Oracle.

(Disclaimer: possible interpretation of Wikipedia page is that every game running on an Android phone is Java-based. Point I made above would still likely stand for PC applications.)

I'm not a software engineer but my educated guess is that if Jorbtar for some reason decided to change programming language or use a proprietary game engine, this would result in another Hafen scenario where we have to wait years for the new version to come out, then another few or so years are spent on making the new version achieve feature-parity with the previous version. And this is an extremely optimistic estimate.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:39 pm

vatas wrote:Main purpose it was chosen was the ability to run client in the web browser.

Actually it was multi platform support, ability to launch app on any platform was a holy grail for any business of IT community for end of 00's. It remains still, tbqh, but the more multi-platform tools/languages are created, the more unified tools there are.
Fostik

Postby Pickard » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:44 pm

vatas wrote:I'm not a software engineer but my educated guess is that if Jorbtar for some reason decided to change programming language or use a proprietary game engine, this would result in another Hafen scenario where we have to wait years for the new version to come out, then another few or so years are spent on making the new version achieve feature-parity with the previous version. And this is an extremely optimistic estimate.

Yes, they could do this instead of render rewrite which took almost 3 years and solved nothing. Same low fps, freezes, memory leaks, outdated graphics.
And yes this is the only option, otherwise haven will never leave current poor state.
Actually Jorb and Loftar should hire manager, who will force them to do things which should be done. Not the ones J&L wants to do.

This will never happen so Haven is doomed to live with 300 online. Many years. Than, when J&L will run out of enthusiasm, it will be closed. Forever.
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:49 pm

Pickard wrote:This will never happen so Haven is doomed to live with 300 online. Many years. Than, when J&L will run out of enthusiasm, it will be closed. Forever.

Fostik

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:06 pm

There are so many valid things to criticize Jorbtar for if you really want to. Why do you guys always pick/latch onto the dumbest shit?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements