Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Postby Mashadar » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:22 pm

Pickard wrote:Yes, they could do this instead of render rewrite which took almost 3 years and solved nothing. Same low fps, freezes, memory leaks, outdated graphics.

I mean, it did solve some things. The main reason I usually used to quit after a while was the constant stutter, long freezes and low fps once your village started to get bigger. There's only so much you can take until your patience runs out. But now with the rendering rewrite, I pretty much always get >=60 fps, even when I visit my animal area with 1000 animals. So I'd consider the rendering write a success.

That being said, I'd still be in favor of dropping Java and recreating the game in a proper engine. I'm not convinced that it would take years to do it. A while ago, I decided to create a high performance Hafen client in C++. Ultimately I couldn't be bothered to implement all the 3D animation stuff, so I decided to be pragmatic and decided to turn it into an advanced headless botting client instead, since that is actually something useful that saves me time.
But the point is, if I decided to finish the graphical part, I'm sure it would take me far less than 3 years. Writing a new client from scratch might seem like a huge task, but the truth is that it will likely take less time than the rendering rewrite. Changing existing code always takes longer than writing new, fresh code.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be done by loftar, anyone could create a new client.
Mashadar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:09 pm

Mashadar wrote:
Pickard wrote:Yes, they could do this instead of render rewrite which took almost 3 years and solved nothing. Same low fps, freezes, memory leaks, outdated graphics.

I mean, it did solve some things. The main reason I usually used to quit after a while was the constant stutter, long freezes and low fps once your village started to get bigger. There's only so much you can take until your patience runs out. But now with the rendering rewrite, I pretty much always get >=60 fps, even when I visit my animal area with 1000 animals. So I'd consider the rendering write a success.

Same here honestly, the rendering re-write did a lot for non-combat stuff.

Which modern engine were you thinking though? Unreal isn't well suited to this type of game, and I'm not sure unity's netcode would really support the types of battles/dense group activities that are causing the visual performance issues here.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Mashadar » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:17 am

Sevenless wrote:Which modern engine were you thinking though? Unreal isn't well suited to this type of game, and I'm not sure unity's netcode would really support the types of battles/dense group activities that are causing the visual performance issues here.

Unity would still be my favorite candidate. It has excellent cross-platform support and you could potentially play the game in the browser via WebAssembly without needing to install anything like Java.
I'm fairly confident Haven in Unity can be made to work and if something started a client in Unity I'd be tentatively optimistic that they would succeed. You can still use your own netcode, you don't need to use everything Unity provides.
It supports instanced rendering which is useful for crops and various other elements and there should be definitely room for optimization where character rendering is concerned.

Though personally I would instead take a closer look at Godot to see if it's suitable for this kind of project, since I already have a semi-complete C++ client and I'm not sure I want to rewrite it in C#.
Mashadar

Postby fulma » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:22 am

I was just joking lol
however, my haven and hearth VR fan game is getting very nice, I'm not saying they are wrong and I know they will never leave java and I'm not being a godot famboy too, but in a week I cloned most of the good gameplay elements, I'm not making it online tho, but that shouldn't be that hard.

Massa wrote:Yes Jorb and Loftar, listen to this weird ass mf with 15 posts total. Remake your ENTIRE game overnight on a new engine. That's the call, boys.

baited
fulma

Postby Oddity » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:47 am

Apocoreo wrote:At this point I think they'd need to remake the whole game and document as they go for anyone to actually know how to play the goddamn thing.

yeah, it's definitely getting there.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby vatas » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:39 pm

fulma wrote:I was just joking lol
however, my haven and hearth VR fan game is getting very nice, I'm not saying they are wrong and I know they will never leave java and I'm not being a godot famboy too, but in a week I cloned most of the good gameplay elements, I'm not making it online tho, but that shouldn't be that hard.

I've read that you don't just "add multiplayer later", at least/especially on a MMO.

To my knowledge, the very first thing Jorbtar implemented was both of their characters being able to interact with the same world.

EDIT: Ach, seems you're just joking. Count me among the baited.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby bumfrog » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:24 pm

Oddity wrote:yeah, it's definitely getting there.

Oddihaven playable in 2022 confirmed????
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Massa » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:46 pm

ignore everyone

just wipe the world

ignore these people and their ideas
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby fulma » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 pm

vatas wrote:To my knowledge, the very first thing Jorbtar implemented was both of their characters being able to interact with the same world.

It's more like I never planned to add multyplayer, but yeah I would start with that if it was the case.
fulma

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:29 pm

any ideas when big update? or any dev progress line or confirmation of "dAEd gaem"
ctopolon4

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements