Game Development: Darkwood Gilding

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Darkwood Gilding

Postby WowGain » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm

Valten21 wrote:I only played seriously from world 3-6 but world 3 was definitely unique. It was larpy and peaceful, but you could still be a criminal... you just had to be ready to pay the price that was set by the strongest players. No matter how "good" you were at pvp if you killed a bunch of people you could just kill me while I slept or worked :lol:

I'm not sure how it would play out these days though, I think both the top villages at the time had somewhat good intentions and were not set on just killing everyone they came across, AND there was the issue that they were not actually strong PVP'ers (I feel like the strongest PVP'ers in a game like this are the ones who run around killing everyone through the experience of it). Maybe the demographic has changed to much and the top players would just kill even more "spruce caps" then they already do... but ALSO maybe the thought of your murder scents ending up the hands of the other groups of psycho's would make you think twice. REAL impact not just smashing some spruce cap and sitting in your base for 7 days.

Thats it bring back wall bashing

almost all the major factions are currently in a massive mega-alliance that includes an 80-man hermit village lmao
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby telum12 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Valten21 wrote:I only played seriously from world 3-6 but world 3 was definitely unique. It was larpy and peaceful, but you could still be a criminal... you just had to be ready to pay the price that was set by the strongest players. No matter how "good" you were at pvp if you killed a bunch of people you could just kill me while I slept or worked :lol:

I'm not sure how it would play out these days though, I think both the top villages at the time had somewhat good intentions and were not set on just killing everyone they came across, AND there was the issue that they were not actually strong PVP'ers (I feel like the strongest PVP'ers in a game like this are the ones who run around killing everyone through the experience of it). Maybe the demographic has changed to much and the top players would just kill even more "spruce caps" then they already do... but ALSO maybe the thought of your murder scents ending up the hands of the other groups of psycho's would make you think twice. REAL impact not just smashing some spruce cap and sitting in your base for 7 days.

Yea, unironically you can't punish criminals/outlaws anymore because the game was made completely safe for anyone who knows how to play the game:
- If you know how to run, you'll almost always escape
- If you don't escape, you can't die unless you seriously fuck up
- You are always completely safe within your walls. Sieging a real village was already impossibly difficult unless you had a major numbers advantage and a lot of time; now, with the 5x to duration, it's an absurd task and not even the most autistic player is going to spend that much effort sieging anyone
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby telum12 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:01 pm

WowGain wrote:

almost all the major factions are currently in a massive mega-alliance that includes an 80-man hermit village lmao

"Why does no one want to fight me?" - Felix, probably
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Sephiron » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:55 am

Jorb, I would love an update on Object controlled objects if possible :) And did you guys scrap the conversation system?
Sephiron

Postby yym331 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:04 am

First of all, I find the PVE odd.
In my personal opinion, let's increase the animal's attack range to at least 160%
Haven and Hearth Secrets of Hunting and Combat - Archive
https://youtu.be/2HdoAHInheQ
yym331

Postby RickyP602 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:22 am

Potjeh wrote:I don't think the combat system is just a problem in PvP though. The reason that a lot of people find the combat uninteresting is because there's a lack of variety. There's a reason most MMORPGs have discrete classes. Fighting tough mobs as a team where everyone has a specific role and success depends on every member coordinating well is great for socialization between players. So yeah, I'd like to see a combat system where you need to assemble a team with different specializations to go on a PvE "raid" like a mammoth hunt or a dungeon run.

Agreed. You don't even need a class system to accomplish this goal either. Simply swapping your gear could be enough. I do think having more dedicated combat roles would make for hunting the big stuff with your friends much more fun.
RickyP602

Postby Sevenless » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:31 pm

Sephiron wrote:Jorb, I would love an update on Object controlled objects if possible :) And did you guys scrap the conversation system?

They said in world announcement stream they scrapped it because it wasn't working out.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby eulamp » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:36 pm

Problem is not PVP. Problem is bad PVP and lack of good PVP. We need more of a good PVP.
The main reason why PVP is bad it's because it's unrealistic shit. Even a peasant should have some circumstances that make him kill even a very good pvp player - some mistake or unexpectedly good move.

Let good pvpers pay a much higher price - they are ready to pay it, but give us more PVP!!! We need that unique PVP with permadeath - no other game has that. Killed? No problem - create a descendant. Make it more often to be perma killed in game, but make less penalty. That's fucking it! Unique experience and unique gameplay, no other game has that! If you don't die in battles make your character die eventually from old age anyway.
What is the problem of making villages raided much more often? People leave the game? They will leave much faster because of boredom. Being raided is an interesting ingame experience to remember years later! Make it possible to still stay competitive after being raided.

PVP should be less about gear/stats, more about skill, but also gives a chance to noobs. Make it realistic! Have you ever seen running in real life medieval battles? Especially in fucking plate armor! Make stacking openings twice faster from behind - easy solution. Or make some sort of snare/stun attacks.

Have you ever seen someone have 10 times more hp than others in real life? Make constitution affects HP much less, but gives faster recovery from wounds and higher immunity to poison.
Gives poisons to noobs - they can attack back and make even good pvp players be killed by poison attack(higher con - lower chance) with some chance. Make bows viable in PVP - a lucky arrow from noob can oneshot an experienced player(higher agility - lower chance, but still). Give noobs the possibility to make a weapon infected. Infected sore should be much more dangerous, but it should not happen from fucking swamp - it should come from decay/rot/natural deseases - from rotting animal, rabbied fox or infected bat. Give noobs the possibility to set up bear traps and players with high exp/per should have a chance to stay in it and be hardly wounded - without possibility to run for days until it cured.

Alternative - if you kill a much weaker opponent you become more dishonored. More dishonored - higher chance in PVP to be killed against any opponent. And it can't be undone - this character will have a higher risk of being killed in any battle against players. Blood can be only washed away with your blood, but your descendant won't have it.

We love you, devs. We love this game and want it to become better.
eulamp

Postby Lillejohn » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:34 am

jorb wrote:I want to play a fairly casual survival/gardening/walking simulator RPG

This is the least casual game I've ever played. You need to play 24/7 or have bots, unless you enjoy running around picking up months old left overs from other players.

I actually tried playing the new world, but quit because it was more work than play.
Lillejohn

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:10 am

Lillejohn wrote:
jorb wrote:I want to play a fairly casual survival/gardening/walking simulator RPG

This is the least casual game I've ever played. You need to play 24/7 or have bots, unless you enjoy running around picking up months old left overs from other players.

I actually tried playing the new world, but quit because it was more work than play.

This is exactly what he enjoys. Jorb has never really played his own game even as effectively as a regular hermit. He has spoke endlessly about the joy he has just exploring abandoned villages and finding abandoned horses. He has never even engaged with like 80% of his own content.

I think this is the main problem.

Tons of people actually want to play a fairly casual survival/gardening/walking simulator RPG, but the devs have spent 10 years developing an entire disneyland themepark when all they really are interested in is the children's slide and swing set in the parking lot. The focus has been entirely too broad, there are dozens of areas in the Haven Themepark that are shallow and meaningless. The combat exhibit has just been on fire for years, the mining world rollercoaster derails and kills people on almost every loop, the food court has ten thousand restaurants but only 5 of them serve edible food and there is a cockroach infestation that has gone ignored for ages. The weirdest part is that instead of revisiting or improving or rebuilding the areas of the themepark that are barely functional they just spent a few years building the Ocean World Exhibition, a 100 kilometer square waterpark that has no slides or attractions, is just water for as far as the eye can see.

I would honestly love to see Haven as a fairly casual survival/gardening/walking simulator RPG where all effort goes in to exploring this concept. If animal AI wasn't a joke and there was no way to cheese animals and the difficulty and expanse of PvE was given some real thought and care I genuinely think it could mimic and surpass the excitement of stranger danger and offer real consequences to the game.

Bulldoze the areas of the themepark that are bad and start again.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements