Game Development: Strange Crown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Strange Crown

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:25 pm

jorb wrote:Glad we could have a constructive discussion about it and arrive at a good solution. :thumbsup:

Nah you can leave it as is, please get back to conversations. I am begging you.
DDDsDD999

Postby Kaios » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm

jorb wrote:
  • The building blueprint overlay present when placing constructions will not disappear until the building is actually placed. Hopefully allows you to move around and place the construction object with greater precision, and, specifically, fixes a bug by which it was impossible to fine tune the placement of Milestone extensions.

Did this change mess with trail extension mechanics in some way? Before this update I was able to hold ctrl while extending a road to move around without placing the extension, however this no longer seems to be working. Holding ctrl to move with the connection cursor still works, just not extension.

The ability to move while placing a road is extension is absolutely necessary in many cases, for example when moving around a cliff or across a river to place the extension.
Last edited by Kaios on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaios

Postby Slowwalker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:29 pm

jorb wrote:It would probably, however, be possible to setup some logic by which you can evict passengers when you are by the shoreline, dumping them onto land if there is space for them. That is probably better than what we did here, so I will try to make it thus.

Glad we could have a constructive discussion about it and arrive at a good solution. :thumbsup:

Maybe there is a more obvious way?
1) The ship is empty and there is no key - no way to board.
2) A ship with a captain - the captain receives a confirmation request (as, for example, when someone wants to add a kin, but with the correct text). Because even in real life you can't go on board without the permission of a Captian. You can make an exception for those who also have the key.
3) Boarding mechanics - two new moves: to board and throw overboard. The chance of success depends on open bereches with Captian, requires initiative points maybe...
Slowwalker

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm

jorb wrote:
Agrik wrote:Is there a reason why such large objects can't just lie in the shallow water, like animal corpses do?

Yeah, the water offset is not a general enough implementation for that. Stuff would lie on the water surface, rather than on the bottom. Would otherwise like to make as you suggested, and likely will at some point.

Also, on the topic of eviction from ships: I realize that its a marginal case, but being blocked from using a Knarr by someone logging in-out is big dumb when it happens, even if it doesn't often.

It would probably, however, be possible to setup some logic by which you can evict passengers when you are by the shoreline, dumping them onto land if there is space for them. That is probably better than what we did here, so I will try to make it thus.

Glad we could have a constructive discussion about it and arrive at a good solution. :thumbsup:

Why not just make the ability to board a ship a toggleable state? Or add a permission system to ships?

There are literally oodles of anti-naval-boarding measures that are as old as piracy itself, and since the idea of combat on a ship in these static positions is absurd, lame and terrible, why not just allow us to literally turn it off?

Like "drop the p-trap" or some shit, that drops netting in the water, or raise wire fencing around the edges of the boat, there are so many options that could be utilized that thematically fit within the spectrum of available technology and materials in Haven. Having ships just being 100% boardable and undefendable without any protection beyond "boat away forever" is just lazy and lame.

Atleast with a toggle it would make sense that you could get ambushed while doing activities that would have you with your guard down, like maybe fishing or foraging for sponges or something? If somebody is just traveling from point A to point B I see no reason why another ship getting close enough to touch it should = instant death for any non-pvp-titan.
Zentetsuken

Postby Potjeh » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:40 pm

nvm
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Sephiron » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:49 am

Slowwalker wrote:Because even in real life you can't go on board without the permission of a Captian.

Sephiron

Postby Agrik » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:11 am

jorb wrote:Yeah, the water offset is not a general enough implementation for that. Stuff would lie on the water surface, rather than on the bottom.
Hmm. I admit I had no time recently to play, but I remember that animal corpses at least looked partially submerged... often to the point that players could not find an overwater pixel to click. :)

vatas wrote:Maybe add option to throw KO'd people overboard? Maybe captain only can do this?
steelman wrote:How about allowing the captain to dismount ko-ed passengers via right-click menu? (like horse dismount)
Came here to suggest exactly the same: a combination of KO and a captain's action (perhaps in the flower menu). Not exactly "evicting" as in "sending to the HF", just moving out of the ship. Or, maybe, the action should be available for anybody not in combat or take noticeable time.

Zentetsuken wrote:How long before a new player gets asked to hop in to a snek and gets killed automatically with this new retarded trick.
That would be a good lesson not to hop easily into stranger's vehicle, which may save them later in real life.
Agrik

Postby jordancoles » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:04 am

Zentetsuken wrote:
jorb wrote:
Agrik wrote:Is there a reason why such large objects can't just lie in the shallow water, like animal corpses do?

Yeah, the water offset is not a general enough implementation for that. Stuff would lie on the water surface, rather than on the bottom. Would otherwise like to make as you suggested, and likely will at some point.

Also, on the topic of eviction from ships: I realize that its a marginal case, but being blocked from using a Knarr by someone logging in-out is big dumb when it happens, even if it doesn't often.

It would probably, however, be possible to setup some logic by which you can evict passengers when you are by the shoreline, dumping them onto land if there is space for them. That is probably better than what we did here, so I will try to make it thus.

Why not just make the ability to board a ship a toggleable state? Or add a permission system to ships?

There are literally oodles of anti-naval-boarding measures that are as old as piracy itself, and since the idea of combat on a ship in these static positions is absurd, lame and terrible, why not just allow us to literally turn it off?

Like "drop the p-trap" or some shit, that drops netting in the water, or raise wire fencing around the edges of the boat, there are so many options that could be utilized that thematically fit within the spectrum of available technology and materials in Haven. Having ships just being 100% boardable and undefendable without any protection beyond "boat away forever" is just lazy and lame.

Atleast with a toggle it would make sense that you could get ambushed while doing activities that would have you with your guard down, like maybe fishing or foraging for sponges or something? If somebody is just traveling from point A to point B I see no reason why another ship getting close enough to touch it should = instant death for any non-pvp-titan.

Probably important to note that you have to fully enter the boat if you want to loot someone who is KOd in a boat
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Uriel » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:22 pm

jorb wrote:

Well writen :)
Please also think about ctrl extentions to roads... it really is unpleasant to make roads now .
Uriel

Postby Slowwalker » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:34 pm

Sephiron wrote:Pirates.jpg

Yep. Therefore, in the third point, I added boarding mechanics based on movements and breaches.

The alternative is to add additional slots that can only be taken up by making trespassing trails with crime enabled (and a grappling hook, optional)
Slowwalker

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements