Game Development: Hat Placement

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Hat Placement

Postby dagrimreefah » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:26 pm

Amazing patch boys, the cheese thing seriously is the tits
dagrimreefah

Postby WowGain » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:34 am

jorb wrote:
Tammer wrote:You could just revert the change that broke road building instead.

Sure, but it doesn't solve the problem we were trying to solve originally, namely that one cannot fine place milestone extensions.

Any plans to make putting down a stockpile with all items of that type in your inv not cancer then? Bc atm it sucks to use any of those shortcuts with muscle memory.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ItsFunToLose » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:10 am

WowGain wrote:
jorb wrote:
Tammer wrote:You could just revert the change that broke road building instead.

Sure, but it doesn't solve the problem we were trying to solve originally, namely that one cannot fine place milestone extensions.

Any plans to make putting down a stockpile with all items of that type in your inv not cancer then? Bc atm it sucks to use any of those shortcuts with muscle memory.

let go of control before placing. you can do it. I believe in you.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby WowGain » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:41 pm

ItsFunToLose wrote:coping

cope?
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Betelgeuse1284 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 pm

Tammer wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • Holding Ctrl allows you to rotate the building, and walk with LMB.

This change has been pretty frustrating, mostly because the public custom clients have rotate on shift and fine placement on ctrl. The natural thing to do before would be to hold ctrl to place the dirt stockpile or herbalist table you're building, then left click. (That's still exactly how it works for placing a herbalist table or garden pot that you've already built and are holding over your head.) But now that makes you walk to the spot instead, so you have to back away and start over.

You could just revert the change that broke road building instead.

Or use alt + left click to walk (instead of ctrl).

Agree with everything here
But also, am I nuts, or for default client it was also shift for rotation and ctrl for fine placement? Like forever before?

I haven't built a single road this certain world, so I am sorry for being so judgemental without understanding the issue. But it doesn't feel right to change entire thing for roads alone mostly, also using Alt in this case is a super good call. Alt button has association with something additional, it is a good option to add it rather than recollect Shift and Ctrl buttons into completely new meaning.

Cheese and hat update still rock though :o ... They are the purest enjoyment... My fancy pigs and horses also think so
Betelgeuse1284

Postby Kaios » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:46 pm

There are certainly times when I have needed to place objects, stockpiles, etc., in a tighter fashion than has been previously possible so in that regard I do appreciate the capability of placing them more precisely, however, the grid alignment works against this mechanic in its entirety and rather defeats the purpose of being able to finely place things because there are still many circumstances in which the hitboxes don't conform well with the grid.
Kaios

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Just make fine placement the default, and you have to hold a button to snap to grid
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ItsFunToLose » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Kaios wrote:There are certainly times when I have needed to place objects, stockpiles, etc., in a tighter fashion than has been previously possible so in that regard I do appreciate the capability of placing them more precisely, however, the grid alignment works against this mechanic in its entirety and rather defeats the purpose of being able to finely place things because there are still many circumstances in which the hitboxes don't conform well with the grid.

without entering it into the chat window, hold shift and press ; or more simply ":"

then type :placegrid #

You will see the text in white above and to the left of the chat window. You can fine tune the placegrid to an arbitrary degree of precision allowing fine tune control over your placements.

:placegrid 8 seems fine for most use cases, log stockpiles etc, although I have found uses for 16, 24 and 32(herbalist tables?) as well and switch between them.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby Kaios » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:19 pm

ItsFunToLose wrote:without entering it into the chat window, hold shift and press ; or more simply ":"

then type :placegrid #

You will see the text in white above and to the left of the chat window. You can fine tune the placegrid to an arbitrary degree of precision allowing fine tune control over your placements.

:placegrid 8 seems fine for most use cases, log stockpiles etc, although I have found uses for 16, 24 and 32(herbalist tables?) as well and switch between them.

thanks, had no idea about placegrid but that definitely helps
Kaios

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:55 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Looking to shift the standard patch-day to Tuesdays. Pushing a patch here this week to space it out a little.

Still wondering what the point of mentioning this was, if patches are once again no longer weekly lmao
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements