Game Development: Summer Mound

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Summer Mound

Postby Austinh15 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:07 am

Yeah idk making arbitrary items in winter that are legit water amount checks just seems like bad content to me. Anything that touches movement speed in this game is the most touchy stuff to balance around. I'm not saying to remove anything, I'm just pointing out the current problem that exists that I'm sure you're very aware of. If you turn your brain off of PvP then sleds and skis are great, but you can't 100% do that in a game where leaving your walls can lead to a 4 man gang bang while everyone but you is on skis.
Austinh15

Postby T0ne » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:08 am

From a hermits perspective, I was looking forward to having a reason to break from farming, I will still do so for the most part, but this honestly seems like a half measure. Still an interesting concept if winter was longer or I had planned for it accordingly when laying out crops.

Maybe increase growth rate in spring, yield in summer or some other metrics that make sense, no farming in winter (minus an expanded green house system), but add some other benefits to winter, something like a (seasona?l) feasting bonus.

Give us reasons to ramp up production in the spring / summer months (also offsets lost time in winter), feast in winter... Basic idea, likely with many holes, but an approach to consider.
T0ne

Postby Cayur » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:11 am

winter dungeon when
Cayur

Postby xyzzy57 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:12 am

Craftingdreams wrote: If you wanted to make the game easier you could add a hearth magic spell to keep selected area “forever green” with more tiles selected making it more expensive in terms of exp points. I hoped for more challenging winter experience like necessity to wear warm clothing for example.

I like that better. It fits the theme, and makes more sense in a medieval + magic environment. And the costs could more easily be adjusted to keep it from being ridiculous.
xyzzy57

Postby pbbllt » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:18 am

What next, conveyor belts to increase interdependence even more?
This mechanic will force plot layout, as you need to clusterfuck industry with farming and trees at the same time.

If you want to deal with winter shortcomings by removing its shortcomings whatsoever why not remove winter?

Just let people NOT farm during winter, simple as that.
Perhaps increase mammoth spawn during those, and decrease during other seasons, so it will balance out or something.
Last edited by pbbllt on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbbllt

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:18 am

GamingRAM wrote:so...... what's the point of the Greenhouse?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Chebermech » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:30 am

since greenhouses are now practically useless, could you change them in a way so that the crops give you 2x yield (all year long), since they are quite expensive to make, very small on the inside and somewhat tedious to maintain with refilling the tiles (might as well have the farming tiles never expire as well if you feel generous).
Chebermech

Postby Trifle » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 am

Nice, I've been waiting for fire to melt snow ever since winter was implemented.

Just remove greenhouses, I don't feel like they fit the aesthetic of the game anyhow.
Trifle

Postby pawnchito » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 am

pbbllt wrote:Perhaps increase mammoth spawn during those, and decrease during other seasons, so it will balance out or something.

This kind of addition to winter would make be wicked cool. You take away bears why not balance with other stuff that would fit the winter scene. Winter has had a lot of love and is starting to be kinda fun but could probably use some more random bird and mushroom type shit before it goes on so long. PVP folks seem to think they need some more shit in it as well.
pawnchito

Postby axus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:00 am

I think this is a great solution, though maybe add a village structure option or numen spell for individual plots, which affects the whole claim. I like winter and sledding through the wilderness. Appreciated the "break" from farming but I hated the winter+spring interruption to trees.

Glad that greenhouse is mostly a decoration now, needing to build a bunch of those would've been no fun. Was really dreading an increased winter-time because of those, but now I wouldn't mind.

Make the mound passable though, it'd make farm and forest layout a lot easier.
axus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements