Game Development: Summer Mound

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Summer Mound

Postby jock » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:07 am

This is almost an insult to call a content patch. Your fix to winter is to make it to remove winter if you try hard enough and sustain that try hard enough for all of winter. So basically if you can fuel braziers for the whole of winter you can get constant progress. ofc, fuck you if your a hermit and thought you had time to do shit. Cause on top of the other chores you had to do you now need to mine or make MORE coal. You guys really love to make your own development choices irrelevant so often. Winter is a unique short period of time that you could have made more interesting instead you make it pointless.

Winter now really is a lesser season, it's like summer but you get no bears and you get no pvp but you get to use stuff that is slightly cool but worse than a horse and wagon. Where you used to chill, take a break or go gather snowflakes/stoats you now get to do everything you normally had todo but with a few bs extra steps. Forget that plan of breaking up the routine now, you got fires to build. #DUMB
jock

Postby cb111 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 am

does this melt ice as well?
could be an interesting mechanic that would allow highly motivated individuals to still boat around in the winter. atleast on rivers / lakes
cb111

Postby bmjclark » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:21 am

jock wrote:This is almost an insult to call a content patch. Your fix to winter is to make it to remove winter if you try hard enough and sustain that try hard enough for all of winter. So basically if you can fuel braziers for the whole of winter you can get constant progress. ofc, fuck you if your a hermit and thought you had time to do shit. Cause on top of the other chores you had to do you now need to mine or make MORE coal. You guys really love to make your own development choices irrelevant so often. Winter is a unique short period of time that you could have made more interesting instead you make it pointless.

Winter now really is a lesser season, it's like summer but you get no bears and you get no pvp but you get to use stuff that is slightly cool but worse than a horse and wagon. Where you used to chill, take a break or go gather snowflakes/stoats you now get to do everything you normally had todo but with a few bs extra steps. Forget that plan of breaking up the routine now, you got fires to build. #DUMB

Oh no, you'll have to get like 36 fertilizier to cover your whole base as a hermit for the winter. The actual horror
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby maze » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:31 am

I'm kinda with Jock on this one, but also on the fence because I know how many people hate winter. It's the season of quitting for a reason.

Having to put in the tedium of building summer mounds is a little annoying, but I'd allow it IF you look to advance the system.
Summer mounds being a hermit level or small group solution to keeping summer.

expensive to build but less tedium to build 1000 summer mounds
Give towns, towns structures that hold resources - Oil bin ie to refill all lights in the town.
a Structure to keep tilled ground/ farm lands warm, refill with compost and some other alchemy shit.
Watermills that pump water to sinks, fountains taking lots of bronze to build but allows you to pull Quality water from many maps away.

more town advancement system jorb .-.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Sephiron » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:52 am

maze wrote:I'm kinda with Jock on this one, but also on the fence because I know how many people hate winter. It's the season of quitting for a reason.

Having to put in the tedium of building summer mounds is a little annoying, but I'd allow it IF you look to advance the system.
Summer mounds being a hermit level or small group solution to keeping summer.

expensive to build but less tedium to build 1000 summer mounds
Give towns, towns structures that hold resources - Oil bin ie to refill all lights in the town.
a Structure to keep tilled ground/ farm lands warm, refill with compost and some other alchemy shit.
Watermills that pump water to sinks, fountains taking lots of bronze to build but allows you to pull Quality water from many maps away.

more town advancement system jorb .-.

This sounds fantastic, but it also sounds like it requires Object Controlled Objects which we know probably won't be a thing for a very very very long time. Maybe my grandchildren will have fun with it though
Sephiron

Postby springyb » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:24 am

jock wrote:This is almost an insult to call a content patch. Your fix to winter is to make it to remove winter if you try hard enough and sustain that try hard enough for all of winter. So basically if you can fuel braziers for the whole of winter you can get constant progress. ofc, fuck you if your a hermit and thought you had time to do shit. Cause on top of the other chores you had to do you now need to mine or make MORE coal. You guys really love to make your own development choices irrelevant so often. Winter is a unique short period of time that you could have made more interesting instead you make it pointless.

Are you really so stunted that gathering 6 peices of straw and 12 mulch required this many tears?
springyb

Postby Sevenless » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:54 am

Chebermech wrote:since greenhouses are now practically useless, could you change them in a way so that the crops give you 2x yield (all year long), since they are quite expensive to make, very small on the inside and somewhat tedious to maintain with refilling the tiles (might as well have the farming tiles never expire as well if you feel generous).

That has, ironically, very big implications for quality grinding that wouldn't be super fun. I don't know how many people bother being hyper zoned in on crop Q gain these days, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Overall, I don't mind the idea of winter proofing areas, but I'd like to see it as a permanent thing that's a bit more on the mystical side of things. Maybe built out of everglowing embers? I dunno, just feels like we should be a bit more accepting of magic in the everyday life of hearthlings.

(sadly needing everglowing embers would probably make this another obscure for new players mechanic)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Sephiron » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:26 am

Sevenless wrote:
Chebermech wrote:since greenhouses are now practically useless, could you change them in a way so that the crops give you 2x yield (all year long), since they are quite expensive to make, very small on the inside and somewhat tedious to maintain with refilling the tiles (might as well have the farming tiles never expire as well if you feel generous).

That has, ironically, very big implications for quality grinding that wouldn't be super fun. I don't know how many people bother being hyper zoned in on crop Q gain these days, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Overall, I don't mind the idea of winter proofing areas, but I'd like to see it as a permanent thing that's a bit more on the mystical side of things. Maybe built out of everglowing embers? I dunno, just feels like we should be a bit more accepting of magic in the everyday life of hearthlings.

(sadly needing everglowing embers would probably make this another obscure for new players mechanic)

ez, make it need irrlights. Make irrlights hang around for a little bit before flying away at mach speed. New player catches one, sees the new recipe that requires 20 irrlights, has something to grind for
Sephiron

Postby MrM » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Kinda feel like you're just reintroducing normal mechanics to winter except with convoluted bullshit on top of it when you could've just not added winter. Guess I'll go build a bunch of bullshit in my fields to radiate heat and be an eyesore or whatever

I'm sorry to say but Snail is 100% right. It makes absolutely no sense.

90% of my friends already quit the game because it's grindy cancer, and this is just one more thing to make the game more miserable.
MrM

Postby jordancoles » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:14 am

The mounds are cheap and cover a lot of area, which is nice, but as others have said this basically just negates the affects of winter and keeps you locked into the farming chore only with additional steps

One of the things winter had going for it was that you got a break from the crops and could focus on other things you don't normally do, like mining, building up road networks, doing credos, etc..

If you want to make winter more appealing you could continue adding winter curios like the snowflakes, or add rare unique animal spawns like a giant white bear or boar to keep things interesting (white bear cloak with 25%~ better base stats than a normal bear cloak would be cool, as an example)
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements