Game Development: Summer Mound

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Summer Mound

Postby Sephiron » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:10 am

A maniacal scurrying of activity is this buzzing brood of proletarians in service of a dark queen

Sephiron

Postby Gacrux » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:54 am

Player retention is directly correlated to how pvp is in the game. The game literally would have a stronger player base if pvp or just random killings came with more risk. The current game sits at 1k players its first month and after 2 months has less than 300 people playing.

I dont intend on putting words in Jorb's mouth but I'm sure that he would like to see player retention last longer than an in-game "year".

SnuggleSnail wrote:Lol larpers

DonVelD wrote:blah blah

(having no intention on responding to "lol autists/larpers")
Gacrux

Postby DonVelD » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 am

Gacrux wrote:Player retention is directly correlated to how pvp is in the game. The game literally would have a stronger player base if pvp or just random killings came with more risk. The current game sits at 1k players its first month and after 2 months has less than 300 people playing.

I dont intend on putting words in Jorb's mouth but I'm sure that he would like to see player retention last longer than an in-game "year".

literally "source: i made it up" over here, jorb is not against people dying left and right. i personally don't care about there being more risk but saying that koing random nabs is the cause of players quitting is dishonest. there's just not enough content/the content is annoying that it makes players stop caring about the game. people just get everything they can get, kill a troll or two and quit. it's also worth considering the fact that the game takes a lot of time out of peoples lives so its just a good strat to play for a few months and quit. conveniently that's when the fun moments stop or other players quit for whatever reasons so its just not worth playing anymore 'cause a lot of things depend on the social aspect of the game. bonus reason to quit: winter

just admit that you want to conveniently make killing players not worth it so you feel safer, and don't try to fool anyone with the "it'll make the playerbase twice as big instantly trust me" (spoiler: it won't)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:29 am

Gacrux wrote:Player retention is directly correlated to how pvp is in the game. The game literally would have a stronger player base if pvp or just random killings came with more risk. The current game sits at 1k players its first month and after 2 months has less than 300 people playing.

disingenuous posts like this that misrepresent the risk had by anyone remotely competent (read: doesnt leave their base with sub80% HHP) if they get in an engagement with someone is the kind of attitude that makes people do stupid shit and quit for literally no reason because they get this doormat attitude

had someone the other day who threw his keys on the ground and logged out because i walked onto his base while his vgates were open. i had visitor debuff, it was impossible for me to do anything to him. its your attitude that coddles and validates this kind of mindset on conflict in this game.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Gacrux » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:24 am

DonVelD wrote:

literally "source: i made it up" over here, jorb is not against people dying left and right. i personally don't care about there being more risk but saying that koing random nabs is the cause of players quitting is dishonest. there's just not enough content/the content is annoying that it makes players stop caring about the game. people just get everything they can get, kill a troll or two and quit. it's also worth considering the fact that the game takes a lot of time out of peoples lives so its just a good strat to play for a few months and quit. conveniently that's when the fun moments stop or other players quit for whatever reasons so its just not worth playing anymore 'cause a lot of things depend on the social aspect of the game. bonus reason to quit: winter

just admit that you want to conveniently make killing players not worth it so you feel safer, and don't try to fool anyone with the "it'll make the playerbase twice as big instantly trust me" (spoiler: it won't)

jorb wrote:Our ambition has never been to create a PvP game. Our ambition has always been to create a game with PvP. There's a huge difference.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=73773&p=913316&hilit=combat#p913316

For source, I've played haven long enough to understand the sense of risk versus gameplay and I've leveraged that in my gameplay. Im not saying to remove pvp I want it to simply feel meaningful. The danger already exists and I dont want that to change. Everyone plays haven with a different goal in mind.
Gacrux

Postby Gacrux » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 am

WowGain wrote:

disingenuous posts like this that misrepresent the risk had by anyone remotely competent (read: doesnt leave their base with sub80% HHP) if they get in an engagement with someone is the kind of attitude that makes people do stupid shit and quit for literally no reason because they get this doormat attitude

had someone the other day who threw his keys on the ground and logged out because i walked onto his base while his vgates were open. i had visitor debuff, it was impossible for me to do anything to him. its your attitude that coddles and validates this kind of mindset on conflict in this game.

A differing in opinion on how the game is played doesnt make it coddling, I fully am aware of the risk when playing/leaving base ect. This perspective levees your style of play and disregards anyone else.
Gacrux

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:48 am

Gacrux wrote:I fully am aware of the risk when playing/leaving base ect.

I'm pretty sure your risk assessment is inaccurate. You seem to think there is a non-zero amount of risk.
Haven is just harvest moon with some limited griefing, a casual PVP mini-game, and a lot of extra tedium
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:33 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Gacrux wrote:I fully am aware of the risk when playing/leaving base ect.

I'm pretty sure your risk assessment is inaccurate. You seem to think there is a non-zero amount of risk.
Haven is just harvest moon with some limited griefing, a casual PVP mini-game, and a lot of extra tedium

Does completely burning down a new player, with minimal effort, by exploiting their lack of knowledge count as "some light griefing?"

When you know the game throug-and-through Actually, combination of reading the post linked above and all the links in my signature, should give most people (willing to put in the effort) the sufficient information to stay safe.

I guess you could say: "Irony is that you can play this game like Harvest Moon, but only if you're aware that it's meant to not be Harvest Moon."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:07 am

Eh, kindof? There's like 3 very unintuitive noob traps, but realistically you can be competent enough to negate all risk in 2-3 days of learning. I was more thinking it's annoying when people bash your roads or steal from your snekkja. Unironically the greatest risk a vaguely competent player faces.

I spent like 3-6 hours a day doing nothing but dunking on nabs for the first month of this world. In the last month playing like 1-2 hours a day in world of warcraft I feel I've done a lot more damage just by finessing people.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:37 pm

I once stole my own mask from my own snekkja 2 seconds after putting it in the snekkja.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements