Game Development: Pocket Bundle

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pocket Bundle

Postby pagsiu » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:15 am

Quality update, at last. I noticed one weird thing, though - if I select a spot with multiple containers using the new feature and only one of them has stuff inside, the barter stand that is connected to this spot shows "0 left", however I'm still able to buy the stuff. Doesn't matter if I bundle the stuff or not.
Last edited by pagsiu on Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Literally no one.
pagsiu

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:17 am

pagsiu wrote:if I select a spot with multiple containers using the new feature and only one of them has stuff inside, the barter stand that is connected to this spot shows "0 available"

Yes, that has always been a problem with barter poles as well. Should be fixed, but it's a fairly involved fix.

bumfrog wrote:Bundles seem clunky, why not just let (certain small) items be stackable?

We did consider that option, but the UI consequences seemed like opening a pretty large can of worms that we didn't want to look at at this point. Stuff like, how to inspect/interact with the individual stacked items, what should happen when shift-transferring (does it target one item or the stack as a whole) and a whole range of other issues. Might consider revisiting at a future time perhaps, but not really sure the UI complexities would be a net positive for the game.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Edhardt » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 am

loftar wrote:
Edhardt wrote:One, two or three various pockets on same item added only one colunm. Maybe incorrect work?

You are probably using a client that hasn't merged the inventory masking patch to display the partial rows/columns properly. Perhaps that's the issue for the other people reporting problems as well.

No. Screen from default client. I stripp off all inventory-add items. 4x4 cell base + 2 inventory space = only 4x5.
Attachments
7149.jpg
7149.jpg (57.09 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Edhardt

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:26 am

Edhardt wrote:No. Screen from default client. I stripp off all inventory-add items. 4x4 cell base + 2 inventory space = only 4x5.

As far as I can tell from your screenshot, you have exactly the two extra inventory squares the pockets promised. Am I misunderstanding something?
loftar

Postby ksetrad » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:28 am

This is the best update in the last few years. I finally removed those damn barterhands!
Image THANKS!!!!!!
Discord of Nurgling custom client : https://discord.gg/3YF5yaKKPn
ksetrad

Postby bumfrog » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 am

certain small items (namely, seeds and flour/dust/ash) are already stackable.

Does it defy possibility to implement stacks for other things like branches the exact same way? Is it a distaste for the quality averaging that motivated this bundle thing, or the desire to stack nonhomogenous items like insects/boughs/meats/etc as a generic category?

I’m sure the average player, if asked, would prefer to stack only identical objects, even with the levelling out of quality, so they wouldn’t have to interact with more “inventory within an inventory” silliness.

Imagine if the only way to stack seeds was in a 5x10 “Bundle” that took any type of seed. That’s kind of what seed pouches were in Legacy iirc, and the current seed stacking system is considered a step forwards, no?
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Edhardt » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:36 am

loftar wrote:
Edhardt wrote:No. Screen from default client. I stripp off all inventory-add items. 4x4 cell base + 2 inventory space = only 4x5.

As far as I can tell from your screenshot, you have exactly the two extra inventory squares the pockets promised. Am I misunderstanding something?

Understood thanks
Plus only one cell for one pocket. Client displays incorrect.
Edhardt

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:41 am

bumfrog wrote:certain small items (namely, seeds and flour/dust/ash) are already stackable.

Well, regardless of perceived mechanical similarities, internally that is one item containing a substance of some amount, rather than multiple items actually stacking.

bumfrog wrote:Is it a distaste for the quality averaging, or the desire to stack nonhomogenous items like insects/boughs/meats/etc as a generic category?

I would certainly consider both of those issues.

bumfrog wrote:I’m sure the average player, if asked, would prefer to stack only identical objects, even with the levelling out of quality

I wouldn't be quite so sure, at least not without introducing other new complexities to the UI. You would clearly not want the high-quality bones you pick up from an animal to auto-stack with the q10 bones that you happened to be carrying around, for example.
loftar

Postby Stoneface » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:46 am

This sounds more and more like OCO is "will consider" for Jorb..... yayyy :) nice patch QoL yeeeeeeeeeee
Stoneface

Postby OblongNoodle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:56 am

Welp, broke my version of Ard Client. Can no longer inspect objects or repair objects. It was fun while it lasted...
OblongNoodle

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements