Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:12 pm

Daily reminder that once upon a time flower menus were client side. This shit was an active decision.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:10 am

Any update about radio silence and aiming for doing better?
What about monthly dev streams?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby jorb » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:58 am

noindyfikator wrote:Any update about radio silence and aiming for doing better?

Easter and various other committments. We are developing as usual, but aiming to focus on bigger goals, rather than patches, though I hope we can also release a patch within the next week or so.

Will consider streaming this month.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:40 am

jorb wrote:

Easter and various other committments. We are developing as usual, but aiming to focus on bigger goals, rather than patches, though I hope we can also release a patch within the next week or so.

It would be awesome to hear from you a few words about bigger changes/implementations you are working on. Devstream is great idea there. From what we know a lot is going under the hood and many of us are curious what it is.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby reexar77 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:51 pm

jorb wrote:

glad to hear it, Happy easter! :D
The Infamous Alex A.K.A The Lion , The Fallen King , Destroyer of Worlds , Taker of women , Down under criminal , That one guy who forgets to bring his axe , Also lover of kittens and cupcakes , Stalker of mammoths and harvester of moss , Dispatcher of Russians , Rider of Buttstalion , Basement troll , Slayer of honeybuns , Romanian bane of nature
reexar77

Postby insanechef » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:30 pm

jorb wrote:

Please stream again
insanechef

Postby vatas » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:33 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Daily reminder that once upon a time flower menus were client side. This shit was an active decision.

My first impulse was to bully you for living in Australia, but the issue basically affects everyone not living in Europe, and if issue is caused entirely by an arbitrary decision by the devs, then this should be called out with minimal cacophony.

Analogy: you sit at restaurant table. Client side flowermenu means you have the menu on the table and just call the waiter whenever. Server side flowermenu, you have to always ask the waiter for a new on-demand menu.

Assuming I understood this correctly.

Got me thinking of the difference between a client/Server side flower menu. I'm assuming client side flower menu requires client to know at all times which flower menu options are available. Maybe this was the concern/reason for making them server side? Ideally there would be some indication on objects that they can be clicked anyway (like Natural Wonders and Bee Hives, for example.) If you have some exceptions to this where it is absolutely necessary that only by specifically pinign the server you get the correct menu, maybe add it through some additional layer that can only apply to those things?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:25 pm

The client doesn't need any additional information from the server for client sided flower menus.

db of objects / corresponding fm options > spawn your own buttons on rclick > on activation rclick object and simultaneously send a packet with the corresponding fm option on the previous widgetID+1.

Definitely a better way to do it if you have access to the server, but still. There's just a delay on everything you do equal to half your latency, and a hard limitation of 1 menu open for no reason.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby SnowWiggles » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:33 am

when world reset
SnowWiggles

Postby bumfrog » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:59 pm

unfortunately I’m afraid
bumfrog
Under curfew

PreviousNext