Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Daily reminder that once upon a time flower menus were client side. This shit was an active decision.

just live closer to the server idiot lmao
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby AHONEN » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:54 am

jorb wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:Any update about radio silence and aiming for doing better?
What about monthly dev streams?

Easter and various other committments. We are developing as usual, but aiming to focus on bigger goals, rather than patches, though I hope we can also release a patch within the next week or so.

Will consider streaming this month.

Friendly reminder ;)
AHONEN

Postby popfor » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:45 am

I think we're going to need to unlock the World 14 Reset Megathread in the Inn soon before some idiot like me starts their own
Image Image
my avatar is stolen without permission
#badboysclub
popfor

Location: E̹̙̺̬̖͈̘̭̙̘̔̈́̍͆͌̋̊̈́̀̎d̡̨̺̠̠̜̲̹͕̯̑̀͂͂̈̇̿̏͝͝g̨̙̻̼͎͖̱͔̗͙̐̅̇͗̈́̔͛̌̌͠ŷ͔̼͓̺̮̪̫̙̬̐͊̀́̊͆͝͝͝ͅ

Postby vatas » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:40 am

Late response to the client/server side flower menu thing.

Reading Snail's comment, I realize my analogy was wrong.

How you would expect getting flower menu would work: you go to a restaurant and ask for a menu. Ping is the time it takes for waiter to arrive with the menu. This would be client-side-flowermenu.

How it actually works: you go to a restaurant and ask for a menu. Waiter arrives and asks are you sure (this takes one ping.) You say "yes, of course" and waiter takes another ping to arrive with the menu. This is the current server-side-flowermenu.

Maybe there is some sound logic with having that additional step, but I've misplaced my "boundless optimism to the point of naivety" -goggles and can't see any.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:16 am

how it works (retarded) with 500 latency:
Code: Select all
000MS Rclick object
250MS server acknowledges flower menu is open
250MS server sends FM options back to the client
500MS client receives flower menu option > assume client choose option instantly for simplicity
750MS server receives flower menu choice, acknowledges flower menu is still open
750MS perform action

^ This is unironically the reason there was not a single high latency fighter "good" enough to fight on grassland prior to widget predict being wide spread. During W10 w/o widget predict I'd be stunned just from drinking more than 50% of the time on grassland.

how it works currently if you do a bunch of custom scripting: // example of the current method to bypass without extra info from the server
000MS Rclick object
001MS choose flower menu option(0, 1, 2, etc.) on the widget ID you think the flower menu will be
251MS server receives flower menu option, acknowledges flower menu is still open
251MS perform action
501MS client receives flower menu choices > discard it because the action was performed 250MS ago

Example on ~510 latency:

Shift+Rclick on foragables just tells the server to pick the foragable (flower menu 0). This could be expanded to everything, except with different keybinds(1-9) for each flower menu option.

Even outside of high latency people this would be a huge improvement. Holding 1 and quickly Rclicking a chicken 4 times to process it without menu animations would be very cool.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason the oceanic presence in haven is so low in spite of us culturally being superrrrr into harsh PVP games. Even outside PVP this makes just controlling your character at the most basic level feel awful.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:07 pm

I think they should add "australians can't play" to the about page
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:55 pm

Just to be clear the above isn't me a requesting this feature. I have this feature. What I'm trying to say is:

@Jorbtar: This dum. ur dum. rly dum. why? (seriously though, why? I've thought about this like once a month for years now and I can't)
@High latency people: lmao get fucked buy gold sub and take 5 minutes to process a inventory of chickens retard
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Vigilance » Mon May 01, 2023 2:53 am

hey i didnt read anything snail wrote and frankly ppl from new zealand deserve to suffer

but also as someone who doesnt exactly have euro-ping, there are some anomalies within this game that should probably not be terribly bad, and flower menus kinda fall in to that section of anomalous bullshit. i never realized europeans could instantly equip and unequip clothes until i saw a polish goblin do it on a stream, and i had kinda always wondered why the european villagers managed to do menial shit like chicken-tending better/faster than i ever could.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 01, 2023 10:01 am

Vigilance wrote:I never realized europeans could instantly equip and unequip clothes until i saw a polish goblin do it on a stream

This is also a fake limitation that only exists because the client hates you and trussy was more important
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Mon May 01, 2023 10:56 am

When I made my previous post, I thought it would've been unfair to draw a comparison to mandatory secret handshake ritual, but I guess it is appropriate after all.

"Looks like I have to double your ping."

"What if I execute this special script?"

000MS Rclick object
001MS choose flower menu option(0, 1, 2, etc.) on the widget ID you think the flower menu will be
251MS server receives flower menu option, acknowledges flower menu is still open
251MS perform action
501MS client receives flower menu choices > discard it because the action was performed 250MS ago

"Well I didn't realize you're someone who actually knows how to circumvent my bullshit. Here you go"
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements