Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby vatas » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:55 am

Trying to put stacked items into a stockpile be like:
But just fix relatively minor things like this and yes, a massive QoL update.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby ksetrad » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:28 pm

https://www.veed.io/view/6de74261-09ba- ... anel=share

I execute ONE COMMAND (shift+click) 4 times and get completely DIFFERENT results. Focus change is not obvious, bad, extremely uncomfortable.

Remove the possibility of a transfer between the stack and the inventory in which it is located.
Please, leave only the ability to transfer only between root inventories.
Discord of Nurgling custom client : https://discord.gg/3YF5yaKKPn
ksetrad

Postby The_Blode » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:48 pm

ksetrad wrote:https://www.veed.io/view/6de74261-09ba-4903-9c43-ca31ce228de8?panel=share

I execute ONE COMMAND (shift+click) 4 times and get completely DIFFERENT results. Focus change is not obvious, bad, extremely uncomfortable.

Remove the possibility of a transfer between the stack and the inventory in which it is located.
Please, leave only the ability to transfer only between root inventories.

I have a college education in computer engineering and this made me feel ill
The_Blode

Postby abt79 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:17 pm

vatas wrote:Trying to put stacked items into a stockpile be like:
<image>
But just fix relatively minor things like this and yes, a massive QoL update.

To be fair, if you shift-rclick one unstacked item onto a stockpile (or shift-place a new stockpile) all stacks that fit will be added to it automatically. This isn’t that intuitive and doesn’t help with Q sorting but you do not actually have to manually unstack every item you intend to stockpile.

Dear devs: do not take this as a defense of the current stockpile/stack interaction (it sucks!). I am merely pointing out a workaround so players are a little less screwed for the brief period this system remains as is. Also fix wall-hanging and make autostacking toggleable.
abt79

Postby xyzzy57 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm

ksetrad wrote:

This description reminds me of my experience using MacOS, with misfeatures of this nature increasing over the time from when I started using a Mac, to when I retired from Apple.

Apparently there's a demographic this appeals to; I've always figured it was "designers" (as compared to "developers" or "engineers") being over-focussed on aesthetics, and under-focussed on usability. But maybe there's some other factor that made this appear to be a good design to the H&H developers.
xyzzy57

Postby Redell » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Another reason that sub-inventories should either have a slight delay or opened by right clicking is because
the bottom right corner of a stack is no longer clickable because the border has an extended invisible frame that covers it.

About that much of each stack is unclickable, only click draggable to undock the sub-inventory.
NaoWhut wrote:He didn't realize we can be anywhere in the world because of jorb friendship magic <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR6oKh7-hc
Redell

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:04 am

So a barter stand can't accept a stack nor draw from one?
ThorleifCleaver

Postby SiO2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:29 am

ThorleifCleaver wrote:So a barter stand can't accept a stack nor draw from one?

Yep. Who could have thought users utilize barter stands?
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby ido » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:00 pm

vatas wrote:The current drink button implementation is of very limited use unless you use a custom client where you can have an extra 10-slot hotbar just for placing the waterskins, and even then Exquisite belt can hold 16, Troll belt 25 waterskins. Yes, the meta for going outside is to have your entire belt be just waterskins (preferably ones at full capacity with hq water.) Water is just that important if you have to flee player(s) chasing you.

vata wrote:where you can have an extra 10-slot hotbar

The official game client has 10 (!) hotbars with 10 cells each to take care of this. You can switch between them with a combination Alt+1, Alt+2, ..., Alt+0.
The lack of the drink button for me was the reason for switching to a custom client - the inability to quickly drink, especially in battle. But now the problem with fast water drink is completely solved.

1. Press Alt+0 to switch to Hotbar#0.
2. Add to hotbar every waterskin you have.
3. Place your waterskin to the inventory or to the belt. It doesn't matter where the waterskin is located, the only requirement it should be on hotbar.
4. Press Alt+1 to switch to your main hotbar.
5. From this moment you can forget about Hotbar#0 and drink water from all your waterskins using only one button with the new feature "Drink" at the main hotbar.

Enjoy.

Special thanks to the developers for this feature.
Last edited by ido on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ido

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:20 pm

ido wrote:But now the problem is completely solved.

Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements