Asynchronous Smelting Time?

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time..

Asynchronous Smelting Time?

Postby Blaze » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I was smelting ore not too long ago, and I noticed that - even though all ore was placed there before lighting the fire - ore that I placed first and left for a bit melted faster than ore that was placed right before lighting the fire.

Basically, I put my ore in the smelter, ran back down to get some more, and put that in before lighting it. The older ones melted with only 3 charcoal, while the newer ones took 4.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Re: Asynchronous Smelting Time?

Postby Öx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Perhaps the smelter was still lit from the last load when you started putting ore in?
Öx

Postby loftar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:18 am

Yes, that is another one of the current bugs with the ovens. It will be fixed when I re-implement them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kaka » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 am

The reason for that is that the time that a piece of ore has been in the smelter is not counted
from when it is put in the smelter, but from the first "tick" that the ore has been in the smelter
and the interval is about 5-6 minutes.
I think that ore has to be burned for three ticks, so if you time it right (or wrong), the first batch
will have been in the smelter for three ticks while the second batch has only been in there for two.
Thus, the second batch will need to stay in there for another 5-6 minutes.
kaka

Postby Blaze » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:26 am

I made sure all the ore was there before lighting it. It was completely empty of both stone and fuel when I started.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby kaka » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 am

What matters is when you put the ore in the smelter, not when you light it, unless of course if
you wait for 5-6 minutes from the last piece of ore you put in till you light it.
kaka

Postby theTrav » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:16 am

Does that mean I can smelt all the ore I have using only a single piece of charcoal if I put it all in, then wait for a fair while, then light it?
theTrav

Postby loftar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:18 am

I see that I have to fix the ovens soon. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kaka » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:24 am

theTrav wrote:Does that mean I can smelt all the ore I have using only a single piece of charcoal if I put it all in, then wait for a fair while, then light it?

Indeed, you can, till Loftar has fixed it. :)
kaka

Return to Bugs