Revisiting HnH after 10 years (recent video steam)

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Revisiting HnH after 10 years (recent video steam)

Postby Sevenless » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm

shubla wrote:I think his experience is ruined by those who swarm around him and give him stuff like merch robes.
Best way to make somebody new quit this game is to just give him everything.

This is why I make up things hermits in the area can get me to trade for things. Specifically to make them feel like they earned it. Just handing things to hermits makes them quit way faster.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:50 pm

Salad wrote:Getting everything handed to you does ruin the early game progression, I remember last world when I was setting up my own town for a while a few people dropped by to give me their hand-me-downs, I appreciated it and all but it did sort of eliminate a large portion of my goals in terms of gear creation.

This problem only gets worse as the world gets older, I know people want to help, and they're being neighborly but I'd wait and see if people asked for help first, a lot of people just want to have their own journey, not be given everything on a silver platter.

It happens even if people aren't proactively giving you stuff. At some point you'll find an abandoned base and it'll have much better stuff than what you already have, skipping a huge chunk of progression (and making the progression you had been working on before that feel pointless).
VDZ

Postby shubla » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm

VDZ wrote:It happens even if people aren't proactively giving you stuff. At some point you'll find an abandoned base and it'll have much better stuff than what you already have, skipping a huge chunk of progression (and making the progression you had been working on before that feel pointless).

Only if you loot it, you can also not loot it!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:08 am

shubla wrote:
VDZ wrote:It happens even if people aren't proactively giving you stuff. At some point you'll find an abandoned base and it'll have much better stuff than what you already have, skipping a huge chunk of progression (and making the progression you had been working on before that feel pointless).

Only if you loot it, you can also not loot it!

Yeah, you can also choose to entirely ignore your environment. You can also just choose not to progress. Hell, you can choose to not play.

Typically, when I play a game and the game presents me an opportunity entirely within the rules and design of the game, I use that opportunity and do not intentionally cripple my progression. If a game requires self-imposed challenges to be fun, then that's indicative of design flaws.
VDZ

Postby SavageFox » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:24 am

there's two ways of being a YouTuber on Haven you record everything for one world then when the world ends you upload it or you have an ALT you supply with another character so if the ALT get killed is no big deal

the common causes for Hermits to quit boredom or a salty death play for 6 months without dying build up your stats if somebody punches you in the face and you die the sodium will flow

a lot of people can't handle losing stuff in PvP that's why this game is pretty niche

but that's the reason why I love it so much it's so impactful
SavageFox

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar