Question for Jorb : Steam

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Question for Jorb : Steam

Postby g1real » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:51 am

Malke wrote:Trying to get my steam buddies to actually give this game an honest try is an excersise in futility. They get on walk around, pick some branches and say the themselves now what? Can I fight a fox? No.. The fox will beat the fuck out of you.. Can I build something? Well.. Kinda, but you have to wait to gain lp to build anything but the most basic shit. It's very annoying trying to get them to try this game.

This applies to any survival game really, they don't have those action movie starts most of the time (save for The Forest's intro, which seems to be the only game I got a friend to play too).
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby naosnule » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:14 am

Malke wrote:
shubla wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:You don't play many games on Steam, do you? Yeah, I read the reviews on the slower games and hard core games, and there's always the whiners in there that need their instant gratification, but the good reviews and general opinion is overall positive as long as the game is decent to begin with.

I doubt theres any games on steam that are THIS slow and this much perma death lose everything stylish.

A lot of people really seem to like the idea of this game, till they try it.. Or hear it is permadeath. Permadeath is literally the only reason I play this game though.. No other games are willing to do it like this.

Path of Exile. But that's not a sandbox.
naosnule

Postby jorb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:25 am

Russaria wrote:these 2

Go play in traffic.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Hardsun » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:37 am

Game is mostly unknown or ignored in wide masses of gamers - so it cant be worse with even bad rewievs. Actually i would really like to see Jlo moving on next level - more people playing, more money, more possibilities for devs which leads for more and better HnH for us gamers ;) And Steam is a good place as platform with millions of PC players to introduce game to said masses.

BUT as i see it game is simply not ready for that and doing this would simply make Jlo buzy with unyelding stuff and not benefiting game dev if not halting it at all.
1) game starting - while being brilliant on its own it simply does not show what they should aim for from begining without reading forums/wiki for new players (and 80-90% people wont do that just starting the game). So most people simply would not get the idea of game and probably leave. (still remember those comments at Salem alpha from people who never played HnH - like "im wandering at forest for 2 hours getting branches and stones - what the hell im supposed to do. Stupid game. Quit.") Actually stupid players - but its your goal to make them stay so... But as practice shows most of players who stays comes with veteran friends who help them to get what this thing is about actually.
2) general polishing - too many things are being almost a must (or give too much convinience compared to original client) in game and yet you ll find them only in custom clients. Hopefully game would absorb all those good ideas and make it standard features. It would simply be abnormal if people dowloading game from steam would have to use custom clients ... Thats ok for indie games like Dwarf Fortress, SpaceStation 13 or current state of HnH and its veteran community - but not ok for commercial product for wide masses. All those tips, UI things and general feel of polishing and completed product.
3) Servers - can you imagine what will happen at 1st day when tens if not hundreds of thousands people would want to give it a try ? There will be pain and tears - and i know you like it :P But that would be one more nail in a coffin. So utill Jlo cant afford better servers its no go. And hopefully we will help them paying our subs and buying hats :D
4) Bug reports and such - tonns of moderator and communication work. Im not sure if 2 devs would be able/want do this all not stop working on game itself.

IMHO its a good idea, but definitely not now.
On the other hand... hey, why not just stay with current state and little nice community (with big teeth lol). The main probablem i see - people will die off, getting bored and take a break, get killed and rage quit itc - so we will get population reduction in long term with not many new players coming (as it always happened in previous HnH worlds). Does not that mean game needs bigger population and some flow of new players so when 200 people would stop playing - that would not make world half empty and Jlo with no money to continue with the game as their main work ? Got no idea and think Jorb and Loftar are more experts given all those technical details and rl stuff we probably dont know. Whatever they make i wish them gl and fully support this amazing game :)
Hardsun

Postby Merla » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Malke wrote:Trying to get my steam buddies to actually give this game an honest try is an excersise in futility. They get on walk around, pick some branches and say the themselves now what? Can I fight a fox? No.. The fox will beat the fuck out of you.. Can I build something? Well.. Kinda, but you have to wait to gain lp to build anything but the most basic shit. It's very annoying trying to get them to try this game.

You have to understand there's certain types of people....you know it's generally the types who only play counterstrike & aren't very intelligent either. They demand tons of on screen action and hand holding 24/7, also a way to buy items so you don't have to actually be good at the game. They'd consider this game to nerdy, to boring, to hard, a walking simulator, they'd feel that no one else plays this game because they won't see enough/any other players, they won't see enough action in the game at a constant pace that it would bore them to death, they only think in short term goals so making a palisade wall would even be a death sentence for them. Having permadeath would scare any of them away, if not at first(likely because they wouldn't even understand what permadeath means), then the first time they die, they will throw a tantrum and be outraged & quit.
Last edited by Merla on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merla

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:58 pm

Russaria wrote: So no, don't expect these 2 on steam anytime soon or ever.

"Money", "Haven and Hearth", and "jorb/loftar/jorbtar" do not belong in the same sentence together, as of now. They just don't care about or kiss the asses of their players enough for this game to ever be self-sustaining, much less profitable. It's sad, but true. People don't like to be paid to be told they can go fuck themselves.

I like this game, I really do. But I am one out of a billion people. Most people will not like this game, these devs, nor the price they charge as they are. And that's why 1) this game doesn't belong on Steam, and 2) jorbtar don't want to. Even though they're stupid enough to begin charging for a game that has a fanbase the size of Hitler's fanclub, they are, I admit, smart enough to know the wider world wouldn't put up with their bullshit.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby painhertz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:59 pm

GenghisKhan44 wrote:

"Money", "Haven and Hearth", and "jorb/loftar/jorbtar" do not belong in the same sentence together, as of now. They just don't care about or kiss the asses of their players enough for this game to ever be self-sustaining, much less profitable. It's sad, but true. People don't like to be paid to be told they can go fuck themselves.

I like this game, I really do. But I am one out of a billion people. Most people will not like this game, these devs, nor the price they charge as they are. And that's why 1) this game doesn't belong on Steam, and 2) jorbtar don't want to. Even though they're stupid enough to begin charging for a game that has a fanbase the size of Hitler's fanclub, they are, I admit, smart enough to know the wider world wouldn't put up with their bullshit.

You have absolutely no way of knowing how profitable this game is. They have stated already that they are happy with the income it has generated so far......
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby HaX4FtW » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:28 pm

I play this game with a couple of friends from Steam and we love it! There's always gonna be bad reviews tbh. But I'm pretty sure this game will get more positive reviews, than what ppl actually think. Not now tho after it's more polished, more bugs are taken care of etc. I don't see why not. Let's be real how many REAL horrible games are on Steam, more that half there library are horrible games..
HaX4FtW

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:58 pm

painhertz wrote:You have absolutely no way of knowing how profitable this game is. They have stated already that they are happy with the income it has generated so far......

Profit, objectively, is when your income exceeds your expenses. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but they were planning not only to cover their expenses, but also live off of the profits, am I wrong?

If I am, I am sorry for making you butthurt. But, even if they just want to cover their costs - and this has been hashed and rehashed in the P2P thread enough already so I'll keep it brief - neither this game nor their income from it can grow without new blood. We get a trickle - far less than this game deserves. And they've done everything conceivable to keep out new players, and thereby new sources of income.
Last edited by GenghisKhan44 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby Sever » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:02 pm

GenghisKhan44 wrote:

HnH has more gameplay than your average free2play MMO, and costs less to play.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar