Other game like H&H?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Other game like H&H?

Postby Dimsml » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Back in the old days there was a thread on this forum where devs playing HnH posted pics and details of the games they develop. There was a fair share of (M)MOS, RPGs, survival games etc. All of them inspired by HnH hah!

I wonder if google has a copy of that thread.
Dimsml

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:41 pm

talon00302 wrote:Salem has gotten a major overhaul and has new developers who push nearly weekly updates. Its a solid game for no cost at all.

I started playing Salem a couple months ago just to have something to do while waiting for Hafen. As someone who hated it during beta I can confirm it's become a really solid game. If I wasn't fanatically devoted to Jorbtar, I would have gone back to Salem without a second thought after this release - but I don't mind paying the sub fee.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Jackard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:46 pm

Reeyfer wrote:Also watched some videos of Ark and while it's beautiful (except the animations ofc like most modern games, the dino animations are absolute crap at times)it doesn't seem much like haven. I mean it's a survival game sure but it's a shooter (which I have no problem with, I love shooters), the progression through tech is insanely quick (which I do have a problem with, as you'll have everything within days), and the servers are tiny, it's not really a mmo.

The game plays out similar to older Haven minus permadeath (although there is a ruleset with this) and its servers have a comparable player density.

When you think about it, Haven wasn't really an MMO either.
Jackard

Postby Grable » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:52 pm

How big is ARK's map?
Grable

Postby Jackard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:12 pm

Regarding the size of the ARK, it's currently approximately 36 square kilometers of walk-able land mass. There's also about 12 square kilometers of ocean, and of course that's just 2 dimensional measurement. There are very tall mountains that rise above the cloud layer, and oceans are quite deep with major underwater reefs, and there's a massive underground cave system that adds about 50% more traversable area to the ARK. The caves themselves are akin to dungeons in many ways, so while they can be inhabited by players, they are not easy places to survive long-term...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/di ... 545122958/
Jackard

Postby Jackard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Additionally, Ark has no monetization

There will never, ever be any monetization of this game whatsoever other than possible entirely new Expansion ARK's (whole new worlds as expansion pack).

There will never be any pay items, not even cosmetics -- there WILL be tons of cosmetic "item skins" but they will all be earnable in-game rewards and time-limited free events to encourage gameplay, nothing ever to spend any $$$ on.

The term Loot Crate simply was employed to denote high-value item cache ;)

To be clear, we at Studio Wildcard are very much against any in-game monetization whatsoever. We've seen it distort too many otherwise good games.

and also supports modding for private servers using custom rulesets!
Jackard

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm

I actually am in complete love with ARK. The small servers are both a boon and a blessing, but overall if you've got a PC that can run it and can poney up the 30$ it's well worth it.

Currently trying to play both ARK and HnH is rough T-T

Actually... I got hard wiped in a raid yesterday in ark, dead today in haven. Times not lookin' so good XD
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Flame » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:39 pm

I wonder if google has a copy of that thread.

If you remember the average year, you can try to search it in (webarchive)
Flame

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 pm

I just googled the thread title and I got three different threads from over the last 5 years with this or nearly identical subject (counting this thread, too, of course). Just sayin'....

note that with the forum archiving borked (loftar said he will work on it) some of those posts may not be browsable, but you should be able to see a cached version.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aperson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:05 pm

ARK is pretty good, made use of the free weekend and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I would shovel $30 at it but hey
It is nice to rest your weary bones from time to time. It is nice to lay down your burdens. It is nice to have a seat.
Aperson

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar