Post pictures of other games

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Post pictures of other games

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Clearly you haven't been following development on DF the last couple of years, which is when the last (partial) release came out. Bay 12 is working with Kitfox Games on this. While the brothers are still overseeing the core development of the game, they have extra people working on the other parts. Short of any other major health concerns for either one, I think they might see better progress in the future. I'm not really sure of any long term commitments from Kitfox on the game, though, beyond adding the GUI.

Honestly, the biggest thing that is needed is multi-threaded development, which is inevitable given the eventual scope of the simulation. That's going to be a bigger hindrance to future development than this. Maybe, just maybe, with the Kitfox release, they'll have the funding to get a couple of experts on the matter on a payroll.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:25 pm

Admittedly I have not spent much time in the Bay12 community. Didn't even realise the difference between them and kitfox. Didn't know about health issues or anything. For all I know this may mean they are not even gay or anything (that sword game is so lol though).

Admitting my ignorance.

As for multithreading I'm not sure how relevant it is. "Drooling idiots" as shubla puts it (like me so f u asshole) have money to spend. Steam is additional exposure even if they are competing with titles like timberborn. There are a lot of other inferior titles out there in the genre. Idk something something how to marketing. I'm sure they will profit. How the Devs spend that money is up to them.

Like I never experienced any performance issues running DF so I do question its relevance. Maybe it's a prestige thing within the dev community idk.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:56 am

MagicManICT wrote:Honestly, the biggest thing that is needed is multi-threaded development, which is inevitable given the eventual scope of the simulation.

I'm not familiar with what exactly is performance problem in DF. (pathfinding cough cough). I'd imagine that most things can be quite effortlessly made somewhat parallel, with many quite independent layers in the level and all. But still.

I'm not really sure of any long term commitments from Kitfox on the game, though, beyond adding the GUI.

Grabbing profits for years to come is one for sure!

Like I never experienced any performance issues running DF so I do question its relevance.

After a few in game years and 100+ population you will have them for certain. But if you are satisfied with playing on smaller fortresses they may not be a problem necessarily.

Steam is additional exposure even if they are competing with titles like timberborn.

I don't think DF requires much exposure for people to find it. It is sad what monopoly steam has come to be, I recently familiarized myself with the thought that valve takes 30% of money for doing absolutely nothing, while the devs will give their everything, and am still shocked by this.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:31 pm

shubla wrote:It is sad what monopoly steam has come to be

hasn't been, and (imo) never will be one. I'm not a legal expert, but I believe they have enough competition to avoid that label. On the other hand, iTunes, which is the only thing an entire platform relies on, and is the only retail outlet for that platform, is being accused of such (along with Google and Android).

shubla wrote:Grabbing profits for years to come is one for sure!

And they'll have earned it from what I've been reading from Toady (Tarn) and seen from previews. Both companies are going to profit off this process, as the learning curve and 1980s type interfaces have been the one big drawback for people I know that have tried DF and don't keep playing it (despite loving similar games).

shubla wrote:After a few in game years and 100+ population you will have them for certain. But if you are satisfied with playing on smaller fortresses they may not be a problem necessarily.

Yep. I should say... some things might be fixed by smart object management. If you want to experience the lag death early, set up shop near a necromancer tower.

shubla wrote:I don't think DF requires much exposure for people to find it.

I mean, they're making a 'normal' game developer's salary at this point just from patreon. (They've always been open about how much their supporters contribute.) I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top 10 sales the first couple of weeks on Steam with a few million copies sold.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:40 pm

shubla wrote:It is sad what monopoly steam has come to be

hasn't been, and (imo) never will be one.

There are many people who will simply not buy your game if they cannot get it from steam. Except for some very strong reasons, but most games do not fulfill those criteria.
So that is what I mean by it.

And they'll have earned it from what I've been reading from Toady (Tarn) and seen from previews. Both companies are going to profit off this process, as the learning curve and 1980s type interfaces have been the one big drawback for people I know that have tried DF and don't keep playing it (despite loving similar games).

DF is something truly exceptional, making few clickable buttons and sprites for it is likely not, former one has especially been done many many times already. So if they get some % and the game will sell tens of millions they definitely earned more than they should have. I think its abusing of original DF developers just like steam taking 30% is. But yea, maybe they got enough money so they can give the rest away.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Moderator note: Split off some discussion of Steam and the store from here as it was getting a bit off-topic. Those wishing to continue that discussion can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=62575&p=889716#p889716
MagicManICT

Postby donatas081294 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:17 pm

Inquisitor Martyr is getting Sisters of Battle class in it's new DLC next year :)
donatas081294

Postby pawnchito » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Ive heard some mixed reviews about Inquisitor Martyr but hot damn if it doesnt look like it would scratch that warhammer itch until Total War WH3 comes out. But for the money needs like 100 ish hours of game time worth the purchase?
pawnchito

Postby Projeear » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:33 am

That one time when I learned not to settle in the Black Forest on our 'very hard' Valheim server.

Grand Walker of World 1 (w1).
Ex-Lawspeaker of New London, Deadwood and New Deadwood (w3).
Witness of the World 4 Great Explosion (w4).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Gregminster (w5).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Laketown (w6).
Squatter and Rebuilder of Templus Pacis (w6).
Hermit thereafter.
Lawspeaker of Tachbrookshire (Hafen 2)
Projeear

Postby donatas081294 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:44 pm

The Last Stand Aftermath the 5th game of The Last Stand Series.
PS. You can get the first 3 (The Last Stand, The Last Stand 2 and The Last Stand Union City) in The Last Stand Legacy Collection which can be bought in a bundle with the newest game (The Last Stand Aftermath), But too bad no news about 4th game The Last Stand Dead Zone.
donatas081294

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar