Tattoo thread

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Tattoo thread

Postby Jalpha » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:21 am

I propose some radical concepts.

We are going to put our brains into computers and nobody can stop us.

The soul does not retain identity.

Our bodies will be modified in all ways imaginable.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Vouss » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 am

Jalpha wrote:I propose some radical concepts.

god can you just shut your mouth forever you lame-o
Vouss

Postby jordancoles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 am

Jalpha wrote:I propose some radical concepts.

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 am

Vouss wrote:god can you just shut your mouth forever you lame-o

Irony, the post. Gg, you can see me here between the hours of 8 and 10 every day. You're welcome.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby jordancoles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 am

Jalpha wrote:
Vouss wrote:god can you just shut your mouth forever you lame-o

Irony, the post. Gg, you can see me here between the hours of 8 and 10 every day. You're welcome.

I don't see what makes it ironic ?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 am

Jalpha wrote:I propose some radical concepts [....]

I think we had a thread for that discussion: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50598&hilit=body+modification

In fact, I was thinking of that thread when I saw this one and thought about merging it, but after reading through the older thread, and seeing a clear lack of many tattoos, figured I'd leave it there and this here. My suggestions is to lets all do that. Personally, I hope a few more people are willing to post what they've had done, but I'm against most of this "oversharing" on social media, so guess I contradict myself with that by being a bit of a voyeur. :D

jorb wrote:Also this.

Thanks for that very interesting article. It was an amazing read and very well thought out. Unfortunately, it goes from well thought out and dangerously bordering religious ranting. Unfortunately, it's hard to find any good writing anymore that describes a person's journey through the thought process. Too much of it instead starts with some predefined belief and shapes the facts to fit the belief instead of letting the facts found shape changes in the thought process.

A bit of a response to that article, it was a "fad" in the 60s, maybe even back in the 50s. Before that, full body tattooing was some strange thing you saw at a freak show. However, gangs and rock stars took it to the next level. By the 80s, with punk rock, glam metal, and such, many rock stars had at least one visible tattoo, and stars like Tommy Lee while not completely covered, were tatted up head to toe. (Guinness has a entry for this, and the top spot is at "98% coverage.")

I have a couple of members of my extended family that are continually adding to their body art*. So it's not a millennial fad... it is in a way, but we're going to find much like body piercings started 30+ years ago and have just gotten wilder and bolder, tattooing will keep going to same way, especially as the inkers become more closely monitored and safer inks are used to make the process as safe as any other plastic surgery.

Then again, vanity is as old as humanity. Those who are more appealing to those with power will be selected for breeding above those who aren't. If you aren't beautiful enough as it, then mask flaws and shade and highlight the right features to make yourself such... and this isn't limited to women or men. Both do it, just in different ways.

*I will agree with the definition in that article as it applies to "fine art," but folk art is usually for the expression of the self, not necessarily meant for long term posterity. Though with modern photography and embalming techniques, I wouldn't be surprised if a tattooed person decides to put their deceased body on display in a gallery somewhere. Just look at that traveling science show about the human anatomy where the bodies have been plasticized.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Valten21 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 am

@ Vouss - it's been 5 years, can you remind me what my definition of real art is?

@ Zenteksusen - its acne scaring from my teen years, which i am thrilled to cover, along with the stretch marks.

@ Jorb - Like i said, we don't see eye to eye, but I also didn't realize you felt so strongly about tattoos. Unfortunately your arguments didn't hold much weight to me, it just seems unrelatable. I don't care for the military, gangs, pet lobsters, and hopefully wont ever go to prison. The story of the militia man seems like a situation that Isn't relevant to me in my life in Canada. Id never go through such lengths in order to stay faithful to a religion. (that's a hint). I don't think me and the militia man will ever see things the way the other person does. I don't actually think me and you, Jorb will ever see things the way the other person does... After all you might of implied without joking that I belong in prison :lol: So I don't really want to get into a discussion as to why you should be ok with tattoo's, but I'll share some experiences as to why I DON'T have an issue with tattoos.

I started under going body mods when i was 15 with an eyebrow piercing, and have done much more since then. From that time, moving forward (im 26 now) I've been heavily involved with the music scene. Using the term, the "music scene" is broad so ill elaborate. I started playing guitar, playing in bands, working as a stage hand at concert venues, and have continued doing so to this day.

On both a local and professional level I have been involved in music from every genre imaginable. Personally I was very into metal, punk, and rock, but since then have been into hip hop, EDM, and old time / folk music. At a professional level I have worked with many many many bands and crews from all genres of music. In every place, body modification was accepted, since I started I have always been surrounded by people with both tattoos and piercings. The people I worked with, the people I worked for, the bands I listened to, the people I played with. People from all ages and many walks of life. This is probably a similar experience for anyone who has been involved with this scene or industry the last 30-40 years.

It's important to note as well, in all these places where body modification is accepted, its not been expected. I think its cool when people do what they want with there body. If it's nothing, or It's a lot. This is the way I grew up to see things. I think your issues with tattoos is rooted far deeper than in the significance it has or doesn't have to the person getting them, but with an entire culture. (or lack of culture, but that's out of the scope of what I'm talking about)

---------------------------------

Despite your lack of approval, I'm of course excited to finish the piece :) Sorry if your offended with me associating your art work with what ever values i have... BUT, I met some cool people and shared some awsome experiences with awsome people in this game you made. The imagery is nostalgic to see and looks beautiful to me. I feel great having it. Not much more to it then that

---------------------------------

I wrote this all before MagicMan's post, and I felt the same about the article, it was very hard for me to relate to moving past the first few "chapters". A lot of what he said is relevant to what I said as well.
You may have foiled the plans of BAD-EVIL this time, but there is no rest for the wicked.
Valten21

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 am

I don't mean to rain on your parade, bro, and I also do try to not judge books too much by their covers. Let your spirit flow, and don't let internet idiots get you down. It's not what I would have done, but who the hell am I, anyway?

If you ever tire of it it's not like it's impossible to remove, so the permanence shouldn't be overstated, and If my artwork -- and I hesitate to use the term -- has been any sort of inspiration to you for anything at all in life, I am of course only flattered.

Idk. I have a strong personal dislike for tattoos, mostly because I don't see the basic human body as something that can be much improved upon, and I do want to express that, but I also don't want to be mean. Nothing against you or the artwork as such, and you do get some props for taking the pain I assume was associated with that.

Sorry if I was a curmudgeon
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jordancoles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

jorb wrote:Sorry if I was a curmudgeon

I'm going to have to Google that one

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 am

@ Valten ... personally I think the flower artwork looks beautiful! :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar