Distribution Platforms - Epic Games Store vs Steam

General discussion and socializing.

Distribution Platforms - Epic Games Store vs Steam

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 am

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/announcing-the-epic-games-store

The discussion to bring haven to steam has been tossed around quite a bit. Usually the consensus is that haven would be lost in the masses, the revenue cut wouldn't be worth the exposure, haven isn't ready for its debut, and haven can't handle the amount of players that process might bring in.

Tabling the issue of haven not being ready to plop into the eyes of millions or being able to cope with a large amount of players, I'm curious what others thoughts are on the merits of haven being distributed on this new platform? Unreal Engine/ Epic Games is aiming to take on steam, and with a 12% revenue cut and their huge amount of attention from fortnite, they seem to stand a chance. Not that I understand how anyone enjoys fortnite. So what do you think, could haven stand to benefit from this some day? Would unleashing haven on this new store early be advantageous since it won't be bloated with games?
Do you think this 'Epic Games Store' can rival steam?
Even if it never reaches steams level, is it a better option for distribution?
If Haven was ready, would this be a good option?
Fierce_Deity

Re: Distribution Platforms - Epic Games Store vs Steam

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 am

But what's on the Epic store? Games featuring that engine. So far it hasn't spread out to anyone or anything. (Yes, I realize "it's coming Soon," but there have been avenues for publishing that way via the URE development platform.)

IMO, GOG might be a better platform for Haven... not sure. Still, it's a matter of convincing loftar to integrate and then be accepted to publish on that platform... and give up that fat chunk of change every sale generates to the platform's owners. (Will have to say the significant decrease in margin is a welcome sight to see.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 am

Discord has games built into it now as well
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Granger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 am

MagicManICT wrote:(Will have to say the significant decrease in margin is a welcome sight to see.)

I don't think it'll stay that low, it's likely that greed will take over as soon as they are established.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby vatas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Competition can be good for everyone.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shubla » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm

vatas wrote:Competition can be good for everyone.

Or so one would think.

I think competition will just result in players being forced to download 10 different game distribution platforms if they want to play the games that they want, because they will all be "exclusively" in different platforms.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:10 am

shubla wrote:I think competition will just result in players being forced to download 10 different game distribution platforms if they want to play the games that they want

Currently on my computer: Steam, Battle.net, GoG.com, Twitch (gotta love Twitch Prime and free games), Origins, Epic, Discord, Glyph, Bethesda, Uplay, My.com. SOE used to have a unified installer for their games, but Daybreak ended support for it.

I'd say we're already there. Will note you don't need gog's installer as you can download directly from their website because of the no DRM benefit.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

It's gonna get worse.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby The_Blode » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Aceb wrote:It's gonna get worse.

Everything does. It's the only universal constant
The_Blode

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm

GOG is by far the best, more people should use it and buy their games from there.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar