Boting allowed?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Boting allowed?

Postby Moti » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 am

Why can't we impose a limit of one character per account? That would solve the problem once and for all. And the players wouldn't have to choose which twinks to distribute skills. One account, one character, one death and start all over again. What's the problem?
Moti

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:59 am

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby pawnchito » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:55 am

lmao.

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy behavior. - Dr. Drew "Love Line"
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:56 am

Can't discount the possibility of this being some sort of trolling, but what drove Snugglesnail to become the embodiment of sweaty botter... was an anti-botting measure.

TL;DR: It would make sense that badly implemented/thought out "anti-botting" measures can actually drive people to botting.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby WowGain » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:43 am

vatas wrote:TL;DR: It would make sense that badly implemented/thought out "anti-botting" measures can actually drive people to botting.

shitty counterintuitive anti-bot features is the entire reason my village has started botting this world, no other reason
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:08 pm

The devs consider botting to be the result of broken mechanics, not players.
The devs try their best to add/change mechanics in order to discourage botting, without asking anybody for feedback before they do it.
So far most of the mechanics they added/changed pretty much encourage botting even more. Tedium is one of the main reasons.

To answer your question, botting is 100% allowed and needed tbh. Bot without any fear.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:06 pm

lol also the reason I have 400 accounts is because of the timer to harvest localized resources to prevent people from using alts to collect localized resources. I made them a few days after they implemented the timer on harvesting upon realizing it went from taking 5 minutes with roads to harvest my mountain to about 2 hours. You can make 5 alts and harvest 5 localized resources faster than you can harvest them without making alts

100% of the counter-measures to bots in this game can be brute forced with more bots, while being super obtrusive to normal play. Either that, or they rely on obfuscation - so it's balanced until somebody figures it out, then spends years abusing it before others do since there's 0 checks to make sure people aren't up to stupid shit. See: gerdgen, global pools, local pools, spiced industry, etc

I don't rly think Jorbtar cares about bots. I'm pretty sure these counter-measures are just to appease mouth breathers. They could've fixed pepper 5 years ago by changing one number and after all this time they still haven't. They added a wound and increased the amount of pepper ppl need overall instead lol
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:08 pm

We can't prevent botting 100% so thus we should not even try - Devs

I wonder what kind of society we would live in if police thought the same way about crime
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:13 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I'm pretty sure these counter-measures are just to appease mouth breathers.

shubla wrote:We can't prevent botting 100% so thus we should not even try - Devs

Hey look it's one of the mouth breathers that's usually happy when I have to make a new bot to counter the thing Jorbtar did to make it so people need to use less bots meanwhile regular players get fucked
SnuggleSnail

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:40 pm

When is a thingwall live tracker coming out :?:
Pommfritz

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar