Boting allowed?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Boting allowed?

Postby telum12 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:29 am

I think people have this strange notion that there's some insanely sophisticated botting networks in Haven when in reality it's mostly very primitive automation for repetitive tasks. It's not the behemoth that scrubs think it is, and find so disheartening.

If the devs created a mechanic that forces you to do the same thing hundreds or thousands of times every day (e.g. pepper), the only reasonable thing is to bot it. The devs spout this bs about how they want to make mechanics that don't require botting, yet constantly add mechanics that incentivize botting (e.g. making boulders drop when you mine, an incredibly nuisance if you're manually mining but no problem for a bot to deal with).

The most ridiculous instance of a botted mechanic is whale spotting. Imagine spending hours every day sailing around odeeper, repairing with your manually-made tarsticks, and maybe see one whale. It has to be botted. If you don't want to bot, you won't be competitive attribute-wise.

tl;dr: Botting isn't as bad as you think it is. The devs keep adding bad features that can only be done by bots.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby pawnchito » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:54 am

The only reason people hate on bots is because they dont have them and they are needed for optimal fun play.
pawnchito

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:03 am

haha whaling.
I had a plan to keep looking for better mammoth nodes while keeping my sort of casual feasting schedule up where I need a new whale every 4ish days. Basically just making autumn steaks with whale.

Usually I just did the whaling besides all of the other chores around my base, and not gonna lie as long as I have some map tiles to explore it's kind of interesting/fun but as soon as you just sail 3-6h a day through blue fucking ocean it's fucking burning you out and nothing in your brain is left except blue ocean, I rewatched breaking bad while looking at blue ocean within a week.
Also you can't really go whaling/ exploring far from islands because whales just fuck up your boat and there is nothing you can do about it in the ocean, I really dislike that but might just be me.
So basically if you decide to go manually whaling there is nothing else you can do for the day ( + 1h of farming, 30mins of organising smokers and cheese and 20mins of feasting) and it feels so unrewarding if you drive around for 6h and then just can't do it anymore and tp home.
Haha I almost forgot about crafting food. Every few day's I'm probably stuck crafting sausages/ pies/ steaks for hours xD building barter stand networks and towers for storage so it gets done faster also takes forever as a little hermit, heavily favour alting/ botting to get mats. Honestly not sure what my suggestion regarding cooking would be seems heavily tedious/ easily bottable but also not sure what could be done different since generally one just needs a lot of food.
For someone who plays a lot this is kind of doable except the whaling, it's just a blank 6 hours of NOTHING or kill some Orcas and pick the brain for fun xd

Regarding the daily chores of farming, things got a lot better through updates (pepper, scythe aoe, no cheeserack quality) and raising meat quantity of animals.

Something else that is insanly tedious is building brickwalls, everything of the process basically. Getting shitq clay and burning thousands in the kilns, getting the fuel for it, terraforming to build it propperly, the steel making, should either be done by 10 people who dedicate a few hours to it or by 10 naked bots.
Terraforming/ paving/ building big buildings/ mining out the mine for more space is basically terror for a solo player.
edit: spitroasting is also a good one
Pommfritz

Postby pawnchito » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Whale hunting is that ball cancer.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:22 pm

Whether to put a positive spin on this topic or to set up a baseline of sorts, can anyone think of a GOOD anti-botting mechanic in Haven?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Soukuw » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:49 am

vatas wrote:Whether to put a positive spin on this topic or to set up a baseline of sorts, can anyone think of a GOOD anti-botting mechanic in Haven?

I like this question. I feel things like the farming changes help a lot and there could be other QoL changes like that could help.

For hermits you only honestly need so much of a resource, quality gains based on cycles help I think. Any task where you repeat something to gain quality seems to help. If there are bots you will eventually mop up the quality and make your grind less painful. I feel this kind of combats them in a messy way but hey. I think mining is the biggest portion of the game that bots pummel, that shit is really really hard to compete with, but again the trickle down effect sort of helps.

Quests giving larger world bonuses could really help with pushing the trickle down, this would help everyone in the area if bots are around, it would also give more incentive for people to kill these bots if they're invading.

I feel like this deserves a topic of its own.
Soukuw

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:17 am

vatas wrote:Whether to put a positive spin on this topic or to set up a baseline of sorts, can anyone think of a GOOD anti-botting mechanic in Haven?

the best anti botting is human moderation don't bother with shitty automated mechanics they are bad and if u add them to your game you're retarded.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby DoctorCookie » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:47 am

This thread is a bit of a joke. Known botters pretending it is not really a thing, people that are not in on it acting like purists, A few who have some access throwing aroun d opinions and then there are the distractors throwing around unrelated topics. It is a two man team, they cant stop botting. It is a broken concept of a sandbox, largely because of botting(that is how it started) now just a bad community of players that cannot self regulate and keep any traction with new players. The grind, the complex systems, the learning curve is not the problem. Free for all sandboxes do not work in terms of a permanent and growing population. Ultima did not work until Trammel, Everquest did not work until the Bazaar, Eve only worked because of empire and low sec. There is not enough lore here, not enough to fight over, no place where you can practice. The last "good" faction players was when we had community fair. There were then at least some that wanted the world to thrive and have some kind of balance. It is human nature, it seems, to make it to the top of the pyramid and then secure your position at all costs, forget everyone else. Until you get bored, then one day you look back and say "I remember when I played that game" The people with the worst intent will move on the fastest, and they will be the loudest. Look at successful models and adjust, dont ever listen to us in the moment.
DoctorCookie

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar