Boting allowed?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Boting allowed?

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 pm

Botting is tacitly allowed. Simple automation (e.g. a macro to add 12 coal to a smelter so you don't have to right-click 12 times, 'pick nearest forageable', and other custom client features) is widely used by the community, heavier botting is frowned upon by the community but not actively punished by the devs, and is common among major factions.

Ysh wrote:It is discouraged but not actively policed. There have been some case where enforcement occurs, but this is rare and exceptional case.

I think the big distinction that makes this case exceptional is that the botting did not just emulate normal play behavior in an easier and more efficient way but rather was used for a tactic that is simply not possible in practice without bots. It was as much alt abuse as it was botting, and while light alt abuse is common among the entire community, the devs have frequently (though often indirectly) taken action against heavy alt abuse.
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Ysh wrote:Speed of development is increased by not wasting time dueling with mechanical men.
Speed of development time is also increased by not wasting time dueling with what the playerbase actually wants, should they continue to do that as well?

The player base is not a monolith.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:10 am

VDZ wrote:Botting is tacitly allowed. Simple automation (e.g. a macro to add 12 coal to a smelter so you don't have to right-click 12 times, 'pick nearest forageable', and other custom client features) is widely used by the community, heavier botting is frowned upon by the community but not actively punished by the devs, and is common among major factions.

Best answer. If this were certain other support forums, the thread would close now.

VDZ wrote:
Ysh wrote:It is discouraged but not actively policed. There have been some case where enforcement occurs, but this is rare and exceptional case.

I think the big distinction that makes this case exceptional is that the botting did not just emulate normal play behavior in an easier and more efficient way but rather was used for a tactic that is simply not possible in practice without bots. It was as much alt abuse as it was botting, and while light alt abuse is common among the entire community, the devs have frequently (though often indirectly) taken action against heavy alt abuse.

As far as I can tell, the tactic is still viable. I think, from playing the game, that some changes were made, but they weren't extensive enough to prevent someone from doing this again... just make it slower, and possibly more noticeable in server logs. Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't a script being used in the current world to keep certain realms active...
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 am

bots are a myth
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:24 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:bots are a myth

Suspicions confirmed :lol:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zampfeo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:44 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:bots are a myth

Honestly, kind of true. There isn't Runescape levels of sophistication when it comes to botting in HnH. At least, as far as I'm aware. HnH doesn't have the RWT incentive a game like Runescape does where you find bots that can organically react to other players and gold farm 24/7; the only thing separating them from real players being their inhuman play time.
Zampfeo

Postby Phaen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Q: Is botting allowed?

A: Its not "allowed" but its also not "not allowed"

Hope that helps
Phaen

Postby Sevenless » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
VDZ wrote:Botting is tacitly allowed. Simple automation (e.g. a macro to add 12 coal to a smelter so you don't have to right-click 12 times, 'pick nearest forageable', and other custom client features) is widely used by the community, heavier botting is frowned upon by the community but not actively punished by the devs, and is common among major factions.

Best answer. If this were certain other support forums, the thread would close now.

I agree that this is a well put summary of the current situation.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 pm

Sevenless wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

I agree that this is a well put summary of the current situation.

But where would you draw the line? Putting 12 coal in smelter with click of button is hardly botting, I agree. But how about farming? If you farm small field it can be, convenient, but there are people with 100x100 flax fields which they farm 24/7 to max ql gains etc. something which is indeed possible to do manually but no one would do it without bots.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 am

shubla wrote:100x100 flax fields which they farm 24/7 to max ql gains etc. something which is indeed possible to do manually but no one would do it without bots.

Some time ago a system was added where field tiles 'store growth time' after a crop has finished growing and make the replanted crop grow faster so as to make the time until next harvest equivalent regardless of whether you harvest and replant it immediately or harvest and replant it later (assuming it's still done within a reasonable timeframe). I don't have the exact numbers but I recall it being very lenient, making replant timing irrelevant; only consistent dedication matters, which is easier for bots but there are hardcore players who can keep that up for ages as well.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar