Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby azrid » Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Archiplex wrote:
MightySheep wrote:
jorb wrote:Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him

isn't he the same guy that also demands nobody talk about any Secret Technique because he's afraid jorb will patch it out

hmmm truly puts to question whether they are interested in the overall health of the game or not

that said banning someone for this would be kinda dumb, but definitely worth considering their priorities when considering feedback

Yep the same guy.
He is also a known liar.
You never know with him if he is pretending to have a certain opinion.
azrid

Postby Zampfeo » Mon May 10, 2021 3:00 pm

This game is in alpha. Some dev intervention as well as some exploiting by players is fine.
Zampfeo

Postby shubla » Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Zampfeo wrote:This game is in alpha. Some dev intervention as well as some exploiting by players is fine.

More exploits exist yes, but exploiting them without notifying devs is still not accepted I think.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Archiplex wrote:isn't he the same guy that also demands nobody talk about any Secret Technique because he's afraid jorb will patch it out

I would be pretty surprised if I haven't reported more unintended behavior to the devs than anybody else in this thread. That's a pretty cringe thing to try and quote me on when my example of stuff getting "fixed" was, like, digging dirt while lifting a barrel or hiding a key on a wall behind a cupboard.

I stand by that, btw. Fun little things like that give the game character, and shouldn't rly be reported. I would be sharing them constantly if I didn't think Jorb would nuke them for literally no reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkRnNJfP7I <- cool video from a game that has a bigger PVP community as a percent of the playerbase than haven, that on multiple occasions reverse engineered bugs and implemented them into new versions of the game to keep their technical community happy // because it added cool character to the game. Kindof off topic, though

For stuff like realms I really think the standard should just be not making mechanics that can be easily abused. This has always been a freebuilding game full of autistic retards. IDK why systems would be made that don't work with these constraints.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby VDZ » Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm

MightySheep wrote:

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him

It's not like he's the only one who's going to exploit such things. If it's not Snail, someone else will do the exploiting. Banning a single exploiter doesn't solve anything.
VDZ

Postby ogey » Mon May 10, 2021 4:02 pm

MightySheep wrote:

If you know a player regularly finds and abuses exploits, it's generally better to leave them be and keep an eye on them while fixing what's broken. Otherwise they just create a new account and start breaking shit under a name you don't know about.
ogey

Postby Astarisk » Mon May 10, 2021 4:03 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:For stuff like realms I really think the standard should just be not making mechanics that can be easily abused. This has always been a freebuilding game full of autistic retards. IDK why systems would be made that don't work with these constraints.

This is absolutely a very valid point. The reliance on sandbox mechanics will continuously create a system where abuse can and will happen. The dev's will need to micro-manage things in order to keep things on their vision of a straight path as long as they keep implementing everything with a sandbox in mind.

The whole challenge banner is one of these mechanics that is doomed to ultimately fail without constant micro-manage. You are also reliant upon the whim of the dev at the time. They may have made the case that they are not alright with it now, but what happens if someone else attempts this very mechanic in the future? Will they be around to muddle in the affairs of mortals again?

In light of the whole challenge banner the knarr bit seems to be the most harmless to me. It has relevant counters in the form of just taking the god damn knarr and if that is not possible -- Knarrs do have sway on water and will eventually leave the hitbox anyways. I can think of several more mechanics similiar to it and much stronger (without relying on overlapping hitboxes). Are those too going to be deemed foul play? Is surrounding your challenge banner in layers of wall foul play? Or will that be tolerated by the devs? What is the limit in how obnoxiously hard in making the challenge banner bashable?

On the contrary their is another series of questions related to if the challenge banner is too easily bashable. As it exists there is no limit to the damage you can deal to the banner nor is their a limit on the amount of people that can bash it at one time. This opens up future possibilities of just straight rushing at it with strength characters and focusing only on its destruction. Is this inverse going to be policed in any meaningful way? Or is the act of making it more challenging the only scenario in which the devs will act.

All these scenarios could have been completely avoided if they thought about implementing these as more a general game play mechanics than as a sandbox and physical element. But hey, the dev's themselves were so confident that there were going to be no problems with the implementations that they themselves decided to not inform us of these changes and carried on. Something something hubris at this point.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Mon May 10, 2021 4:08 pm

ogey wrote:If you know a player regularly finds and abuses exploits, it's generally better to leave them be and keep an eye on them while fixing what's broken. Otherwise they just create a new account and start breaking shit under a name you don't know about.

You seem not to know what you are talking about, banning some certain people would benefit the game more than all possible exploits fixed would ever benefit.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zampfeo » Mon May 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Banning obvious exploiters just means the ones that go under the radar will be able to abuse their exploits for longer. I remember back in legacy there was a lot of myth and speculation surrounding exploits like these because the people using them always kept a low profile. Those types are still around (spitroasting exploit from w12 for example), but snail is a high profile exploiter and in the grand scheme of things gets these things fixed quicker and with greater transparency.
Zampfeo

Postby VDZ » Mon May 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Astarisk wrote:But hey, the dev's themselves were so confident that there were going to be no problems with the implementations that they themselves decided to not inform us of these changes and carried on. Something something hubris at this point.

For most people this worked out fine. Thingwalls were a fun thing to discover and find out more about. It's just not optimal for the handful of people involved in realm politics.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar