Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Ysh wrote:
jorb wrote:A challenge window occurs on every ingame full and new moon, i.e. there should be approximately one or two challenge windows every RL week, during which, again, some subset of the Thingwalls globally can be challenged.

These subsets are consistent and occur in consistent order?

No. The next challenge window is randomized per Thingwall. They may appear in varying order and frequency.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:42 pm

VDZ wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • Thingwall knowledge is not inherited from dead characters.

Is there any specific reason for this? Losing all of my fast travel nodes would suck immensely.

Yeah this is quite dumb. Getting the discoveries all over again when you die is already quite frustrating.
Maybe you would lose only small % of them when you die or some such and not all of them? Quite rough indeed if somebody has discovered dozens of them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:42 pm

Zyean wrote:
jorb wrote:
vatas wrote:Have Charter Stones been removed?

Yes.

I feel like this might hurt markets a bit, unless I'm underestimating how easy it will be for trans continental fast travel

We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Zyean » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 pm

jorb wrote:We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

That's fair, do you think it's reasonable to maybe create a new structure for the purpose of acting as a permanent wilderness beacon as charters did? It was a pretty convenient feature of them
Zyean

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 pm

initial reaction that may or may not be bullshit:

1) depending on what survive means, you might need your entire squad on call for an entire 4 hours to defend against a last minute zerg of the entire enemy kingdom which is unrealistic
2) thingwall placements are close enough that having all of your bois cutting off people you're chasing from every direction with horses, especially after they reach 40 stamina is going to be cancer
3) by the time all of the PVPers quit there is still going to be a fuckload of unclaimed land, especially if they B-line to each other to make PVP
4) late world a single autist (hi) could absolutely claim the entire world with probably less effort than previous worlds
5) you didn't remove the ability to turn off buffs?
6) if all challenge points are next to water, it's going to devolve into a lot of snekkja fights, which are cancer
7) you can absolutely make water walls, but it's kinda expensive and annoying so mightn't be an issue since people can just port from 2 thingwalls over

the only ones I actually care about
8) if buffs work the same way they used to, there will absolutely be shitter realms everywhere that entirely prevent the people living in them from having good buffs - and unlike before, spending 2 weeks challenging for a good realm to your base then putting it in your base doesn't permanently prevent this
9) wtf jorb let me port when redhanded
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 pm

Zyean wrote:
jorb wrote:We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

That's fair, do you think it's reasonable to maybe create a new structure for the purpose of acting as a permanent wilderness beacon as charters did? It was a pretty convenient feature of them

Maybe devs could consider adding some public spawning thing as well that is visible for all players in the spawning room, something expensive requiring upkeep so people wouldn't spam them but large noob villages and realms could build if they want.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby Vesena » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 pm

jorb wrote:Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.

Given this, is it possible to allow Thingwall travel while remaining inside a Rowboat/Dugout in the same fashion as roads? I can understand the arguments against Snekkjas and Knarrs teleporting wherever they like, but for smaller craft all it changes is saving you three clicks to get out of the boat, pick up the boat, and place it back down again.
Vesena

Postby Zampfeo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 pm

jorb wrote:
Ysh wrote:
jorb wrote:A challenge window occurs on every ingame full and new moon, i.e. there should be approximately one or two challenge windows every RL week, during which, again, some subset of the Thingwalls globally can be challenged.

These subsets are consistent and occur in consistent order?

No. The next challenge window is randomized per Thingwall. They may appear in varying order and frequency.

Have you considered making some of them a fixed schedule? In this way, it would give villages with restricted schedules a chance to control a small bit of territory. Perhaps the coronation stone could allow you to control the window for only the province it resides in. This would give a bit of a defensive advantage for realms on their home turf and possibly promote a more fragmented, diverse realm map.
Zampfeo

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:7) you can absolutely make water walls

I'd love to know more about that. My PMs are open.

jorb

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 pm

Zampfeo wrote:Have you considered making some of them a fixed schedule? In this way, it would give villages with restricted schedules a chance to control a small bit of territory. Perhaps the coronation stone could allow you to control the window for only the province it resides in. This would give a bit of a defensive advantage for realms on their home turf and possibly promote a more fragmented, diverse realm map.

I have suggested this before and it works quite well in games like EVE online.
Window that defendant can choose, with some cooldown and delay to how often you can change it, visible publicly.
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar