Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby ogey » Mon May 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Zampfeo wrote:Banning obvious exploiters just means the ones that go under the radar will be able to abuse their exploits for longer. I remember back in legacy there was a lot of myth and speculation surrounding exploits like these because the people using them always kept a low profile. Those types are still around (spitroasting exploit from w12 for example), but snail is a high profile exploiter and in the grand scheme of things gets these things fixed quicker and with greater transparency.

This is a recurring thing in MMOs. In Runescape you even had mods befriending blatant exploiters.
ogey

Postby MagicManICT » Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 am

MightySheep wrote:
jorb wrote:Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him

As much as I'd like to agree with you here...

Zampfeo wrote:This game is in alpha. Some dev intervention as well as some exploiting by players is fine.

This is a more appropriate attitude, assuming the person doing the exploiting is at least reporting the reproduction steps.

shubla wrote:You seem not to know what you are talking about, banning some certain people would benefit the game more than all possible exploits fixed would ever benefit.

Careful what you ask for. I'd count you in the list of people to get their asses kicked out of the game permanently in that case.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Archiplex » Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Archiplex wrote:isn't he the same guy that also demands nobody talk about any Secret Technique because he's afraid jorb will patch it out

I would be pretty surprised if I haven't reported more unintended behavior to the devs than anybody else in this thread. That's a pretty cringe thing to try and quote me on when my example of stuff getting "fixed" was, like, digging dirt while lifting a barrel or hiding a key on a wall behind a cupboard.

I stand by that, btw. Fun little things like that give the game character, and shouldn't rly be reported. I would be sharing them constantly if I didn't think Jorb would nuke them for literally no reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkRnNJfP7I <- cool video from a game that has a bigger PVP community as a percent of the playerbase than haven, that on multiple occasions reverse engineered bugs and implemented them into new versions of the game to keep their technical community happy // because it added cool character to the game. Kindof off topic, though

For stuff like realms I really think the standard should just be not making mechanics that can be easily abused. This has always been a freebuilding game full of autistic retards. IDK why systems would be made that don't work with these constraints.

i was thinking more of the "infinite cupboard stacking" or "teleport anyone anywhere with a kicksled" when i was referring to that quote tbh, both of which were things you had a huge problem with being fixed

i don't disagree that certain things can totally be implemented as a future design element, but i don't think taking existing bugs and insisting they are good gameplay design is an argument in good faith either; jorb and loftar don't implement things obviously knowing they will be abused, and i sincerely doubt they want things to be abused, but they aren't some all-knowing entities who understand their game (and honestly, most other people understand their game better- i remember how potter's clay was introduced without the intention to bring up clay ql lol)
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am

Zampfeo wrote:This game is in alpha. Some dev intervention as well as some exploiting by players is fine.

Hottest take. :fire:
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby springyb » Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
idk about you guys, but I don't rly want systems that require semi-frequent dev intervention. It feels against the spirit of the game.

Then stop intentionally doing stuff that requires semi-frequent dev intervention lmao
springyb

Postby vatas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:58 pm

jorb wrote:Thingwalls project their province claims to all cave levels below them.

Yay, no more daisy-chaining Fealty Stones down to good ore nodes. Praise Jorbtar.

(Noticed this was a thing only just now.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SavageFox » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 pm

jorb wrote:

Hottest take. :fire:

how many thing walls does World 13 have if you're willing to share
SavageFox

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:10 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:initial reaction that may or may not be bullshit:

1) depending on what survive means, you might need your entire squad on call for an entire 4 hours to defend against a last minute zerg of the entire enemy kingdom which is unrealistic
2) thingwall placements are close enough that having all of your bois cutting off people you're chasing from every direction with horses, especially after they reach 40 stamina is going to be cancer
3) by the time all of the PVPers quit there is still going to be a fuckload of unclaimed land, especially if they B-line to each other to make PVP
4) late world a single autist (hi) could absolutely claim the entire world with probably less effort than previous worlds
5) you didn't remove the ability to turn off buffs?
6) if all challenge points are next to water, it's going to devolve into a lot of snekkja fights, which are cancer
7) you can absolutely make water walls, but it's kinda expensive and annoying so mightn't be an issue since people can just port from 2 thingwalls over

the only ones I actually care about
8) if buffs work the same way they used to, there will absolutely be shitter realms everywhere that entirely prevent the people living in them from having good buffs - and unlike before, spending 2 weeks challenging for a good realm to your base then putting it in your base doesn't permanently prevent this
9) wtf jorb let me port when redhanded

haha I would just like to point out I was right on every single account with these predictions I made with < 5 minutes of thinking about it. It's just lucky there have only been 1-3 thingwall fights, depending on how you count it, because fighting always next to water with bows and 100 snekkjas is unfun cancer garbage

P.S: my character is heavily scented all of the time, and I know all(literally all) of the people who complained about being able to port with red hands on thingwalls could easily get them if they wanted. I still haven't been tracked a single time while red handed all world, nor have I tracked a single person that was red handed all world AFAIK. I HAVE occasionally not gone to fights & raids because I didn't want to thingwall there, and then wait while red handed for an hour, though.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:22 pm

How often is to often to reconfirm that I still have not been tracked a single time while red handed and this massive inconvenience was a kneejerk reaction to retards screeching that actively made the game worse?

Easiest world there has ever been to track ppl btw, yet the people that complained they won't be able to do it are yet to do it in spite of screeching for changes that will massively inconvenience others.

It's almost like they were being disingenuous or something.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Regnurr » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:55 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
MightySheep wrote:
jorb wrote:Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him

As much as I'd like to agree with you here...

This is a more appropriate attitude, assuming the person doing the exploiting is at least reporting the reproduction steps.

shubla wrote:You seem not to know what you are talking about, banning some certain people would benefit the game more than all possible exploits fixed would ever benefit.

Careful what you ask for. I'd count you in the list of people to get their asses kicked out of the game permanently in that case.

If they're found to be hiding the exploit for personal benefit their utility as a bug finder and beta tester is limited at best and they're a cancerous tumor to your game's community at best. Assuming you catch someone red handed lying to you using dev tools (wouldn't be too hard if you already know what they are doing but now you are asking them to tell the truth because it is a test of their character), you should probably time them out or something. If they're doing it consistently, might as well just ban them. Severe exploits represent a real disgruntled subscriber potentially getting sick of it and not giving any money anymore.
Regnurr

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar