Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby Phaen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm

I like this a lot more than Charter stones thank you

Is there some historical reference going on when you named them thingwalls? It seems like a placeholder name to me

I don't get it
Phaen

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Phaen wrote:I like this a lot more than Charter stones thank you

Is there some historical reference going on when you named them thingwalls? It seems like a placeholder name to me

I don't get it

From the Old Norse þing vollr, meaning 'assembly field', the name indicates that it was once the site of a Germanic thing (or þing). Similar place names in the British Isles include Tynwald, Dingwall, and Tingwall; see also Thingvellir in Iceland and Tingvoll in Norway.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ysh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Phaen wrote:I like this a lot more than Charter stones thank you

I don't get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thingwall
Wikipedia wrote:From the Old Norse þing vollr, meaning 'assembly field', the name indicates that it was once the site of a Germanic thing (or þing). Similar place names in the British Isles include Tynwald, Dingwall, and Tingwall; see also Thingvellir in Iceland and Tingvoll in Norway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)
Wikipedia wrote:A thing was a governing assembly in early Germanic society, made up of the free people of the community presided over by lawspeakers.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Ysh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 pm

shubla wrote:
Zampfeo wrote:Have you considered making some of them a fixed schedule? In this way, it would give villages with restricted schedules a chance to control a small bit of territory. Perhaps the coronation stone could allow you to control the window for only the province it resides in. This would give a bit of a defensive advantage for realms on their home turf and possibly promote a more fragmented, diverse realm map.

I have suggested this before and it works quite well in games like EVE online.
Window that defendant can choose, with some cooldown and delay to how often you can change it, visible publicly.

There is maybe some argument that difficulty to defend territory does imply higher turnover and therefore interest.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Phaen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 pm

Oooooh neat thanks
Phaen

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:03 pm

jorb wrote:[*] When traveling to a Thingwall, a character will land within a 15 tile radius from the Thingwall traveled to. The Thingwalls do not care if they, by landing characters, perform wall jumps, so do not build anything you want secure that close to them. Our way of counting 15 tiles may differ from your conception of how 15 tiles should be counted, so use a good margin of safety.

Mentioning these things before most of the playerbase builds their village might be a good idea in the future :lol:
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby springyb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 pm

During these windows, or when a flag is active, will players who are not involved with a realm fast traveling to a thingwall get a warning that the location is or could potentially be in conflict?
springyb

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 pm

springyb wrote:During these windows, or when a flag is active, will players who are not involved with a realm fast traveling to a thingwall get a warning that the location is or could potentially be in conflict?

A War Flag and perhaps a group of people guarding it could tip them off. Could perhaps be expanded upon. Could perhaps even be interesting if you couldn't travel to it when its challenged. Not sure what the PvP implications of that would be.

Presently the status of being challenged changes nothing for Fast Travel.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Phaen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.
  • Should some quirk of the map generator allow a Thingwall to be walled in, that will be corrected by divine fiat.

Might want to pre-empively move Sasnes a bit then. She's wallable. ;)
Phaen

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Phaen wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.
  • Should some quirk of the map generator allow a Thingwall to be walled in, that will be corrected by divine fiat.

Might want to pre-empively move Sasnes a bit then. She's wallable. ;)

Not over those skargard tiles I don't think?

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar