Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby Zeler » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Do members of ruling realm have any discount on the travel cost between thingwalls they control?
Zeler

Postby Phaen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm

jorb wrote:
Phaen wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.
  • Should some quirk of the map generator allow a Thingwall to be walled in, that will be corrected by divine fiat.

Might want to pre-empively move Sasnes a bit then. She's wallable. ;)

Not over those skargard tiles I don't think?

Oh dang you're probably right. I'll test it
Phaen

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 pm

Zeler wrote:Do members of ruling realm have any discount on the travel cost between thingwalls they control?

None presently, but someone suggested it to me. Not sure if good.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Zeler » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 pm

jorb wrote:
Zeler wrote:Do members of ruling realm have any discount on the travel cost between thingwalls they control?

Perhaps it could be enacted as one of the kingdom buffs?
Zeler

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 pm

bmjclark wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] When traveling to a Thingwall, a character will land within a 15 tile radius from the Thingwall traveled to. The Thingwalls do not care if they, by landing characters, perform wall jumps, so do not build anything you want secure that close to them. Our way of counting 15 tiles may differ from your conception of how 15 tiles should be counted, so use a good margin of safety.

Mentioning these things before most of the playerbase builds their village might be a good idea in the future :lol:

This was testable before this thread was posted. If you built too close to a Thingwall it's your own fault.
VDZ

Postby Agrik » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:18 pm

First, cool mechanic overall, though I don't think that increase in speed of travel (that effectively shrinks the world) would be good for the game.

jorb wrote:We hope that these changes will allow for a more interconnected world, while at the same time providing for an increased sense of locality in it, hopefully thereby taking a stride toward solving a long standing conflict in our game design, between the desire, on the one hand, for an MMO-environment where players are connected, and the desire, on the other, for a game world where locality and space matter.
I'm not sure how these goals aren't seen as contradicting. Effective size of virtual distances is measured in time units, thus any two points can be either better connected (moving between them takes less time) or more different in the sense of position (moving between them takes more time)... Maybe I missed something?

Well, you can put additional costs to the travel (travel weariness) so the movement may require different time, but what these costs boil down to? To the same thing, time spent?

jorb wrote:Not in a way that would prevent him from hearthing home, or using the Thingwall to travel elsewhere.
If there would be a pali in the form of a "hollow" letter C, inner wall bordering the Thingwall and outer one at those 15 tiles range... would this mean the first part, that most of incoming players would be caught inside with only a possibility to hearth home? Now I imagine a group of dangerous animals lured inside this pali...

Is there a reason not to disallow walls in that zone entirely, like they're disallowed too close to water?

jorb wrote:þing
Looks much cooler than "thing". Though "Thingwall" is funnier.
Last edited by Agrik on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrik

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Zeler wrote:
jorb wrote:

Perhaps not just for realm members, but for anyone present in the realm? Reduced travel cost would be a cool buff to have.
VDZ

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm

VDZ wrote:
bmjclark wrote:This was testable before this thread was posted. If you built too close to a Thingwall it's your own fault.

I didn't build next to a thingwall and I did test it. I'm sure lots of spruce caps will have happily built next to the fancy new tree though. Also, if we applied the standard of "Oh, you should have tested that" to all bug jumps, my base wouldn't have gotten nuked in w9 :roll:
Last edited by bmjclark on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby razfen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Zeler wrote:
jorb wrote:

Yes, either a discount for realm members, or the ability to restrict the travel for non-members would be an interesting mechanic.

Not gonna lie, it will be difficult to balance this system so that it's fun for both the defending and attacking parties, but it's a step in the good direction. A similar system has been suggested multiple times in past worlds.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby springyb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 pm

jorb wrote:
springyb wrote:During these windows, or when a flag is active, will players who are not involved with a realm fast traveling to a thingwall get a warning that the location is or could potentially be in conflict?

A War Flag and perhaps a group of people guarding it could tip them off. Could perhaps be expanded upon. Could perhaps even be interesting if you couldn't travel to it when its challenged. Not sure what the PvP implications of that would be.

Presently the status of being challenged changes nothing for Fast Travel.

When you travel via multiple thingwalls it only gives you the option to spy on the area before traveling to the last one. Unless you make your trip one thingwall at a time you may not get a chance to see a flag before traveling.
springyb

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar