Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby stya » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 pm

jorb wrote:We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

I like to travel safely/directly to markets though, also not building beacons... at least that would be nice.
stya

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 pm

jorb wrote:Thingwall knowledge is not inherited from dead characters.

Sounded odd at first, but this means warriors can't immediately port back fully geared with a slightly worse inherited version of themselves. Death in thingwars actually punish you.

Love it a lot, looks very cool, thanks Jorbtar!
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:35 pm

springyb wrote:When you travel via multiple thingwalls it only gives you the option to spy on the area before traveling to the last one. Unless you make your trip one thingwall at a time you may not get a chance to see a flag before traveling.

Yeah, we debated that one but didn't want to clutter the implementation with too much over design from the get go. I am open to adjustments to chain-travel to handle this better.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 pm

springyb wrote:When you travel via multiple thingwalls it only gives you the option to spy on the area before traveling to the last one. Unless you make your trip one thingwall at a time you may not get a chance to see a flag before traveling.

You can at least chain one if you wait for the preview first, and then add your next destination. Click to end the preview and travel and then it will begin travelling to your next destination and preview that one too at which point you can do the same thing again if necessary. Not perfect but I like it.
Kaios

Postby Vaku » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 pm

These are features are something this game has needed for a long time.

They do make geography much more meaningful and simultaneously give implied objectives to large groups.

Good job!
Image Smell of Arrogance
Vaku

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:47 pm

jorb wrote:
Zyean wrote:Have Charter Stones been removed?

Yes.

So how do we fast travel accross an ocean now with charter stones being removed? That will definitely hurt the idea of markets since thingwalls can't be used to jump oceans afaik?
Pills

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm

Pills wrote:So how do we fast travel accross an ocean now with charter stones being removed? That will definitely hurt the idea of markets since thingwalls can't be used to jump oceans afaik?

Thingwalls allow travel across oceans. You need to know the destination, of course.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby springyb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm

jorb wrote:

Yeah, we debated that one but didn't want to clutter the implementation with too much over design from the get go. I am open to adjustments to chain-travel to handle this better.

Maybe changing the green circle on the travel compass to something ominous when a window is open or flag is present would be enough of a warning to clue players to stop and look first, without needing to change much else mechanically.
springyb

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 pm

springyb wrote:Maybe changing the green circle on the travel compass to something ominous when a window is open or flag is present would be enough of a warning to clue players to stop and look first, without needing to change much else mechanically.

That's actually low key and kind of cool. I like that.

jorb

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:51 pm

jorb wrote:
Pills wrote:So how do we fast travel accross an ocean now with charter stones being removed? That will definitely hurt the idea of markets since thingwalls can't be used to jump oceans afaik?

Thingwalls allow travel across oceans. You need to know the destination, of course.

Oh maybe I just got unlucky with the ones I discovered then. Fair enough
Pills

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar