Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Thingwalls Explained

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 pm

THINGWALLS
---------------------

1. GENERAL
  • Added "Thingwalls", serving the dual purposes of acting as public fast travel nodes, and objects of control for Realms.
  • The map has been divided into randomly named "provinces" (e.g. "Lurholm", "Barsand", "Thranhurst", &c), each centered around a Thingwall. The Thingwalls project province claims defining a province, with every tile owned by its nearest Thingwall, effectively forming voronoi regions.
  • Thingwalls project their province claims to all cave levels below them.
  • Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.
  • Should some quirk of the map generator allow a Thingwall to be walled in, that will be corrected by divine fiat.

2. FAST TRAVEL
  • A Hearthling may travel from a Thingwall to any known neighboring Thingwall, at a cost in travel weariness.
  • Seeing a Thingwall will mark it on the map, and make it a Thingwall known to your character.
  • When traveling to a Thingwall, a character will land within a 15 tile radius from the Thingwall traveled to. The Thingwalls do not care if they, by landing characters, perform wall jumps, so do not build anything you want secure that close to them. Our way of counting 15 tiles may differ from your conception of how 15 tiles should be counted, so use a good margin of safety.
  • Thingwall knowledge is not inherited from dead characters.

We hope that these changes will allow for a more interconnected world, while at the same time providing for an increased sense of locality in it, hopefully thereby taking a stride toward solving a long standing conflict in our game design, between the desire, on the one hand, for an MMO-environment where players are connected, and the desire, on the other, for a game world where locality and space matter.

3. REALMS
  • Realms expand by conquering Thingwalls.
  • Thingwalls are conquered by planting a "War Flag" in the vicinity of the Thingwall, and have the War Flag survive for 3 RL hours. Planting a War Flag constitutes a "challenge" to that Thingwall.
  • Thingwalls may only be challenged every so often. Inspecting a Thingwall will reveal its next challenge window.
  • Thingwalls are possible to challenge during an 8 RL hour window, during which War Flags can be built in its vicinity. The Thingwall need not still be possible to challenge when it actually falls to a challenge, meaning that you may plant a War Flag in the 7th hour of a challenge window, and successfully conquer the province 2 hours after the challenge window expires.
  • Globally, all Thingwalls are on a collective rolling challenge schedule, meaning that some subset of Thingwalls will be possible to challenge at the same time. A challenge window never affects only one Thingwall, but, rather, is a global event affecting several Thingwalls: A recurring time of global conflict.
  • A challenge window occurs on every ingame full and new moon, i.e. there should be approximately one or two challenge windows every RL week, during which, again, some subset of the Thingwalls globally can be challenged.
  • A Realm may only have one War Flag active at any given time, and can, thus, expand by a maximum of three provinces per challenge window.
  • Realms may only challenge Thingwalls bordering a province it already controls, or the Thingwall in its coronation stone province.
  • While Realms may only expand contigously by neighboring provinces, there is no requirement that the Realm remain contigous. A Realm may be cut off from some branch of controlled provinces, without losing them, or otherwise being negatively affected. Realms may challenge any provinces neighboring such exclaves as per normal.
  • Should a Realm control a Thingwall, the banner of the Realm will be displayed on the Thingwall.
  • Realms may change their banner by placing a new banner on their coronation stone.
  • Controlling a province implies control over the Irminsuls and Monoliths present in that province.
  • Realms with the "Guarded Marches" Realm Blessing extend the time War Flags need to stand in challenges against the Realm's Thingwalls, by up to a maximum of 1 RL hour. Challenging a Thingwall controlled by a Realm with the "Guarded Marches" blessing maxed out will, thus, require a War Flag to stand for 4 hours, rather than the usual 3.

We hope that these changes will make the Realm-PvP experience a lot more focused on personal combat than on strange projections of vast amounts of resources. We hope that it will make participation more accessible, and make it more feasible to stage a comeback for a Realm that has been significantly beaten down. Generally, we hope that it will be a lot more fun.

Taking and answering most any questions, and will update/clarify as needed, with the hope that this post can be, become, and remain an authoritative description of how Thingwalls work.

Do note that all timers, specifics and nitty-gritties are tentative, and that we are very open to adjusting them as needed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

Are there any other unexplained major mechanics still remaining? (that are to be explained, that is)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm

Have Charter Stones been removed?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:27 pm

vatas wrote:Have Charter Stones been removed?

Yes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Asor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Could someone make a corral 15 tiles away from a thingwall to capture players?
Asor

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Asor wrote:Could someone make a corral 15 tiles away from a thingwall to capture players?

Not in a way that would prevent him from hearthing home, or using the Thingwall to travel elsewhere.

jorb

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Will you intend to make changes if something boring happens like 1 or 2 big mega realms that no one can compete with if these mechanics turn out to favor those, which I could theoretically see possible, as the challenged realm can fast travel to defend each thingwall quite quickly if needed.

Making new realms seems quite difficult as you can only capture 1 thingwall in the beginning, so its quite easy for some big realm to just come quickly kick your ass weekly, so small realms won't have any chances really.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ysh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 pm

jorb wrote:A challenge window occurs on every ingame full and new moon, i.e. there should be approximately one or two challenge windows every RL week, during which, again, some subset of the Thingwalls globally can be challenged.

These subsets are consistent and occur in consistent order?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 pm

jorb wrote:We hope that these changes will allow for a more interconnected world, while at the same time providing for an increased sense of locality in it, hopefully thereby taking a stride toward solving a long standing conflict in our game design, between the desire, on the one hand, for an MMO-environment where players are connected, and the desire, on the other, for a game world where locality and space matter.

I've been really enjoying Thingwall travel so far. Definitely the best addition this world.

jorb wrote:
  • Thingwall knowledge is not inherited from dead characters.

Is there any specific reason for this? Losing all of my fast travel nodes would suck immensely.
VDZ

Postby Zyean » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 pm

jorb wrote:
vatas wrote:Have Charter Stones been removed?

Yes.

I feel like this might hurt markets a bit, unless I'm underestimating how easy it will be for trans continental fast travel
Zyean

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar