Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 pm

Zyean wrote:That's fair, do you think it's reasonable to maybe create a new structure for the purpose of acting as a permanent wilderness beacon as charters did? It was a pretty convenient feature of them

We contemplated retaining them for that purpose, but were pretty tempted by the prospect of removing them entirely. I shan't exclude bringing them back in this limited capacity.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Tamalak » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Huge thumbs up to the changes, especially removing charter stones. You actually have to 'travel' in the wilderness now. Pog.
Tamalak

Postby ZantetsukenX » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 am

jorb wrote:
Zyean wrote:That's fair, do you think it's reasonable to maybe create a new structure for the purpose of acting as a permanent wilderness beacon as charters did? It was a pretty convenient feature of them

We contemplated retaining them for that purpose, but were pretty tempted by the prospect of removing them entirely. I shan't exclude bringing them back in this limited capacity.

Since all the thingwalls have a unique name, would it be possible to make it so if you put in the name of one of them you will arrive there in the world? Would be a pretty convenient feature. Only problem is figuring out how hearthfires would work without causing a crowding issue. Maybe have it spawn you randomly in the "zone" that each thingwall controls?
ZantetsukenX

Postby trinh » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 am

jorb wrote:cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

worst thing ever happen to hafen since swamp fever :(

Give me farmville hafen with trading markets back... sho ball and things
trinh

Postby magisticus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 am

stya wrote:
jorb wrote:We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

I like to travel safely/directly to markets though, also not building beacons... at least that would be nice.

Agree, this will kill meaniful trade at markets and therefore cause more players to become self-sufficient and reduce player interaction in general except for fighting.
magisticus

Postby Archiplex » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:04 am

province system is kind of cool, it's a shame that the realm system overall has already been finalized in nature- otherwise it'd be cool to have provinces act as sorts of 'countries' to where people could become rulers of, and realms were a heirarchy of counties, duchies, kingdoms and empires- although maybe that's a bit too feudal

i definitely think that if a thingwall is challenged, it should block off teleporation to that thingwall and perhaps even other adjacent thingwalls. something definitely should be done about how prominent snekkjas will be in these sorts of conflicts because they're all near water as well- maybe even having the waters become dangerous while the thingwall is challenged?
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby wolf1000wolf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 am

magisticus wrote:
stya wrote:
jorb wrote:We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

I like to travel safely/directly to markets though, also not building beacons... at least that would be nice.

Agree, this will kill meaniful trade at markets and therefore cause more players to become self-sufficient and reduce player interaction in general except for fighting.

The other possibility is that more local trade will happen with long distance trades being less of the norm.
wolf1000wolf

Postby KwonChiMin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 pm

What happens if the coronation stone is built right at the border of 2 provinces?
KwonChiMin

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am

Why isnt the map overlay extended to caves?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zampfeo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm

jorb wrote:
We, for our part, did not like how they also function as intra-village safe transport tubes, cementing the paradigm that you never need leave your base.

I like the thingwalls, but maybe a few tweaks could allow global trade to continue. Perhaps a realm buff that turns your thingwall into a beacon so anyone from any thingwall can travel to it regardless of known thingwalls. Maybe even allow anyone with <50% travel weariness to travel to it if they do not possess enough will. The risk of moving goods to your local thingwall and then again at the market may be enough, but if you really want thingwall ambushes to become a thing, this thingwall beacon could require someone to travel between each thingwall one-by-one with a small cooldown between each activation. Sort of similar to travel in Eve I guess.
Zampfeo

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar