Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:02 pm

KwonChiMin wrote:What happens if the coronation stone is built right at the border of 2 provinces?

It will by some metric lie more in one than the other regardless of where you build it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:20 pm

ZantetsukenX wrote:Since all the thingwalls have a unique name, would it be possible to make it so if you put in the name of one of them you will arrive there in the world? Would be a pretty convenient feature. Only problem is figuring out how hearthfires would work without causing a crowding issue. Maybe have it spawn you randomly in the "zone" that each thingwall controls?

Zampfeo wrote:I like the thingwalls, but maybe a few tweaks could allow global trade to continue. Perhaps a realm buff that turns your thingwall into a beacon so anyone from any thingwall can travel to it regardless of known thingwalls. Maybe even allow anyone with <50% travel weariness to travel to it if they do not possess enough will. The risk of moving goods to your local thingwall and then again at the market may be enough, but if you really want thingwall ambushes to become a thing, this thingwall beacon could require someone to travel between each thingwall one-by-one with a small cooldown between each activation. Sort of similar to travel in Eve I guess.

Sounds like a good way to spawn an endless amount of alts right outside someone's base or quickly get fighters across the map.
Kaios

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm

jorb wrote:While Realms may only expand contigously by neighboring provinces, there is no requirement that the Realm remain contigous. A Realm may be cut off from some branch of controlled provinces, without losing them, or otherwise being negatively affected. Realms may challenge any provinces neighboring such exclaves as per normal.

If a realm has a piece cut off from its original, can it continue expanding without rejoining to the main realm?
Fierce_Deity

Postby Reiber » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 pm

good idea, i like what the thingwalls try too accomplish. and the flavour is spot on .
but.

-thingwalls project there borders too all cavelevels beneath.
why? . i´m trying too find an place where some dipshit can´t place an flag in the general area 5levels above me and claim my ass since hafen release. make underempires finaly happen jorb!

and making space finally matter by plastering quicktravel spots right and left kinda eludes me.

i took an 2 houre boatingtrip the other day, over deeper ocean. if i walk 6 minutes and click on the thingwall i can port back and forth now. now the vast ocean is just another river with an road , basically not there for anything than an clamspawn.
Reiber

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:06 am

Reiber wrote:-thingwalls project there borders too all cavelevels beneath.
Thingwalls project their province claims to all cave levels below them.
why?

To benefit from realm buff underground.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:08 am

Maybe one should be able to build reverse-cairns, structures that prevent the area from getting buffs nor contributing anything to the realm.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 am

Reiber wrote:-thingwalls project there borders too all cavelevels beneath.
why? . i´m trying too find an place where some dipshit can´t place an flag in the general area 5levels above me and claim my ass since hafen release. make underempires finaly happen jorb!

I'm not a cave hermit this world, but I have been in other worlds, and under the previous system you could build a Fealty Stone to get access to the realm chat and buffs in your home. Under the new system this is not possible, so unless something new is made for this, without that rule people living in caves (or just frequently active in caves, like miners) wouldn't be able to benefit from realm perks. The Thingwall system is not going to work underground because nobody's going to bother expanding underground when you can expand aboveground instead (and normal citizens are unable to do so).

Reiber wrote:and making space finally matter by plastering quicktravel spots right and left kinda eludes me.

i took an 2 houre boatingtrip the other day, over deeper ocean. if i walk 6 minutes and click on the thingwall i can port back and forth now. now the vast ocean is just another river with an road , basically not there for anything than an clamspawn.

Have you seen the TW cost of long trips? You're still quite limited in how far and often you can travel. Furthermore, you can't take a Snekkja/Knarr with you, so travels like that will still have to be done manually. Said trips are now much more pleasant, though, as you can just hearth home for a bit and travel back later to resume your journey instead of having to play more than three hours non-stop for one long trip.
VDZ

Postby xzo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am

I would suggest kingdom buff that will lower the cost for everyone within a kingdom, that would help traders, and invite them to explore the kingdom areas bit more
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 am

shubla wrote:Maybe one should be able to build reverse-cairns, structures that prevent the area from getting buffs nor contributing anything to the realm.

Maybe a village object that shows the village is in rebellion against the realm.
Zampfeo

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:41 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.

Since they are all located near a body of water, and the idea was to make fast travel easier/more interesting. Why can we not fast travel with boats? Charter stones you could take an entire knarr across with you but with these you can't.
Pills

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar