Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:41 pm

Pills wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.

Since they are all located near a body of water, and the idea was to make fast travel easier/more interesting. Why can we not fast travel with boats? Charter stones you could take an entire knarr across with you but with these you can't.

Only reason to travel them with knarr is to kick sprucecaps asses.

1 Idea of thingwalls is to have some LOCALITY, if you could tp in 2 minuts to anywhere in the world with any vehicle by using them, there would be no locality.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Pills » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 pm

shubla wrote:
Pills wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.

Since they are all located near a body of water, and the idea was to make fast travel easier/more interesting. Why can we not fast travel with boats? Charter stones you could take an entire knarr across with you but with these you can't.

1 Idea of thingwalls is to have some LOCALITY, if you could tp in 2 minuts to anywhere in the world with any vehicle by using them, there would be no locality.

If you make the journey once atleast once connecting the thingwalls along the way then yes you can tp in 2 minutes to anywhere in the world. The only nuance is that you have to connect the dots between A and B now instead of just visiting a charter at the destination.

Not being able to travel with a bit boat seems a bit dumb since they are next to water anyway and charters let you do this.

What does "LOCALITY" even mean in this context?

Or maybe its to explore the map or initiate a big trade? I do wonder if you actually do anything in your life other than go out of your way to make stupid comments on this forum.
Pills

Postby shubla » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:22 am

Pills wrote:Not being able to travel with a bit boat seems a bit dumb since they are next to water anyway and charters let you do this.

Well if somebody its you who should understand it. Locality means that some places are a bit harder for you to reach, while others are not.
If you could tp with knarrs every place would be like your backyard, But if you cant. there is locality, as you are second class citizen in places not local to you, there are some places in world that are more difficult to reach than your local area.

Teleporting whole hyuge ships is very dumb anyways. Like knarr teleportation by trail should be disabled, so there would be some sense in having land between rivers :roll:

The reason why thingwalls were added is that charterstones were not good. So basing any of your arguments on "but charter stones worked that way" is quite dim witted!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby Uriel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 am

shubla wrote:
Pills wrote:Not being able to travel with a bit boat seems a bit dumb since they are next to water anyway and charters let you do this.

Well if somebody its you who should understand it. Locality means that some places are a bit harder for you to reach, while others are not.
If you could tp with knarrs every place would be like your backyard, But if you cant. there is locality, as you are second class citizen in places not local to you, there are some places in world that are more difficult to reach than your local area.

Aye, using knars on roads aint good.

Teleporting whole hyuge ships is very dumb anyways. Like knarr teleportation by trail should be disabled, so there would be some sense in having land between rivers :roll:

The reason why thingwalls were added is that charterstones were not good. So basing any of your arguments on "but charter stones worked that way" is quite dim witted!
Uriel

Postby VDZ » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:53 am

shubla wrote:Teleporting whole hyuge ships is very dumb anyways. Like knarr teleportation by trail should be disabled, so there would be some sense in having land between rivers :roll:

It would mean a tiny bit of shitty mapgen could make a trip in a certain direction take several minutes longer. Without roads I'd have to go north and west, then that same distance back east, then a bit further still south to get to the only nearby river leading to the ocean - a river two minimaps away from my starting position. Other players are in worse situations, being stuck in mostly closed river systems and there's probably even people who have their Snekkja in entirely closed river systems. As long as we don't have canals or similar ways to cross small bits of land in a more reasonable manner, Snekkja/Knarr roads are simply essential.
VDZ

Postby MightySheep » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 am

would make sense if you could travel around your own kingdom with no travel weariness

atm theres a danger of people just simply not caring about kingdoms because the benefits are really meh
MightySheep

Postby MrBunzy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:01 am

MightySheep wrote:would make sense if you could travel around your own kingdom with no travel weariness

atm theres a danger of people just simply not caring about kingdoms because the benefits are really meh

But the benefits are exactly the same as last world tho? And clearly people cared a lot about realms in world 12 :roll:
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby dafels » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 am

Just let the people fast travel freely like in legacy. All this "locality" autism is just one of the larp nonsenses in this game.
dafels

Postby Kaios » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am

dafels wrote:Just let the people fast travel freely like in legacy. All this "locality" autism is just one of the larp nonsenses in this game.

Do you have any reasons why it should be that way? I can agree at least in relation to trade that it's nice to have that capability, but if your only reason for wanting that is because it makes it easier to raid/kill then I don't think that is a very good basis on which to include instantaneous cross-map travel.
Kaios

Postby shubla » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:12 pm

VDZ wrote:Snekkja/Knarr roads are simply essential.

Moving them on land should be possible, but slowly, not by instantly teleporting them. Its odd that they are faster on land with cost of only 3 blocks every 20 tiles or so.
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar