Thingwalls Explained

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Thingwalls Explained

Postby jorb » Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:It seems very clear to me anybody able to be involved in a realm doesn't want to behave the way you want them to with regards to realms, so why make a bunch of mechanics forcing them to interact with realms then get mad when they don't do it exactly as intended. It seems completely antithetical to the point of a sandbox game where you choose your own goals

It's kinda hard to tell so early, I guess, but I'm kinda back at my original stance of "the game would be better without realms"

lol. Who's mad? Don't do dumb blocks and I won't sink your knarrs.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 am

smh government clamping down on my ancap hellscape :x
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MightySheep » Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 am

love how snail goes out of his way to find obscure ways to subvert intended game design, gets knarr nuked, then uses "you should be able to choose your own goals in a sandbox game!" as an argument

thingwall realms have literally only just been added to the game, pretty dumb to argue that because the devs didnt pre-emptively considered the specific scenario of someone parking a knarr ontop of a war banner then therefore the whole system is bad

I was right all along (altho they did a different method to avoid walling) and your only input is still "hurr remove it" :lol:
MightySheep

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 10, 2021 11:31 am

I mean, it's pretty reasonable to destroy a knarr in 4 hours. Unironically, where do tactics end and where do exploits begin? I'm sure anybody could think of 10 different methods to functionally wall thingwalls/warflags in the next 10 minutes if they tried.

idk about you guys, but I don't rly want systems that require semi-frequent dev intervention. It feels against the spirit of the game. Altho I actually meant about names... me want live cum zone
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby xzo » Mon May 10, 2021 12:02 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:but I don't rly want systems that require semi-frequent dev intervention. It feels against the spirit of the game

#StruggleSnail
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby Southpaw » Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:idk about you guys, but I don't rly want systems that require semi-frequent dev intervention. It feels against the spirit of the game.

100% agree
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby jorb » Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Southpaw wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:idk about you guys, but I don't rly want systems that require semi-frequent dev intervention. It feels against the spirit of the game.

100% agree

Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby VDZ » Mon May 10, 2021 1:37 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Unironically, where do tactics end and where do exploits begin?

I'd say right about the point where the devs state
jorb wrote:
  • Thingwalls are all located by a body of water, making them, in our theory, impossible to wall in.
  • Should some quirk of the map generator allow a Thingwall to be walled in, that will be corrected by divine fiat.

and you start walling in Thingwalls.
VDZ

Postby MightySheep » Mon May 10, 2021 2:25 pm

jorb wrote:Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him
MightySheep

Postby Archiplex » Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

MightySheep wrote:
jorb wrote:Trust me, we have zero desire to be micromanaging anything.

youd save yourself a lot of time if you just ban the guy whos obsessed with trying to willingly exploit every possible thing because he know nothing will happen to him

isn't he the same guy that also demands nobody talk about any Secret Technique because he's afraid jorb will patch it out

hmmm truly puts to question whether they are interested in the overall health of the game or not

that said banning someone for this would be kinda dumb, but definitely worth considering their priorities when considering feedback
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar