please convince me not to start playing again

General discussion and socializing.

Re: please convince me not to start playing again

Postby evilboy666 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:07 pm

I have lots of respect for everyone that plays this game, especially the regulars. But this game is just too much for a regular human. Thats all there is to say.

I wish I could just casually play and enjoy this game at the level of wow, csgo or lol. But over the years the game contents and mechanics just got more and more cluttered. The wiki lacked behind, as far as i can tell the forums arent as floruishing compared to back in the days.

All in all, you would have to regularly and without fail commit a big chunk of your life to this game to get to a pleasable level. You literally have to devote your life to hnh. For people that havent, hnh isnt a game, its a chore.

For me, I just sometimes come check the forums whenever i have nothing to do on the internet.

I dont know how old you are, but if you are even a bit grown up, you probably dont have the time to play this game anyways. Forcing yourself to play will just fuck up your life trust me.

and for that reason, i wont be investing, im out. (watching dragons den these days. Should i start a thread named "better stuff to waste your time than hnh"?)
evilboy666

Postby evilboy666 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:11 pm

MagicManICT wrote:The funny-sad part is... I used to look like that when I started playing MMOs.

Do you mean the jacked part or the somewhat-douchebag-looking part?
evilboy666

Postby iamahh » Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 pm

one does not simply play haven, once you tame your animals you have farming and studying duties

srsly, you need a solid daily routine to play haven, if you have a little going on financially or what else, you cannot emotionally support your claim
iamahh

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 17, 2021 11:54 pm

evilboy666 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:The funny-sad part is... I used to look like that when I started playing MMOs.

Do you mean the jacked part or the somewhat-douchebag-looking part?

I was never that jacked. Too many late nights in card rooms or in front of computer monitors hacking code. Thus the latter. Just a douchebag of a different style rather than looking like a jock.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 am

evilboy666 wrote:I dont know how old you are, but if you are even a bit grown up, you probably dont have the time to play this game anyways. Forcing yourself to play will just fuck up your life trust me.

and for that reason, i wont be investing, im out. (watching dragons den these days. Should i start a thread named "better stuff to waste your time than hnh"?)

It's not that bad. Fully casual play (the kind where sprucecaps don't have a palisade up even a week after starting) can be done on any schedule. Even more serious play can be feasibly done especially if you take some time off work near the start. You just can't stay competitive on the highest level unless you plan your life around the game, and you're pretty much locked out of a small handful of aspects of the game (notably taming and steelmaking), but you can generally make up for it via trade.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Tue May 18, 2021 7:38 am

Only difficult parts are stuff like rushing pali/claim, silk and steel, all other stuff can be done on quite relaxed phase. Worlds last for more than 1 year often so you have time to do it all or most of it at least.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kaios » Tue May 18, 2021 11:21 am

VDZ wrote:It's not that bad. Fully casual play (the kind where sprucecaps don't have a palisade up even a week after starting) can be done on any schedule. Even more serious play can be feasibly done especially if you take some time off work near the start. You just can't stay competitive on the highest level unless you plan your life around the game, and you're pretty much locked out of a small handful of aspects of the game (notably taming and steelmaking), but you can generally make up for it via trade.

Disagree. How much of that stuff you're doing as a casual player is actual, fun content versus waiting for mechanics based around time gating. There's about 5% of the player base that actually manages to get in to anything related to PvP while 90% of the "content" is filler nonsense intended to slow down progression. If a game forces you to push through boring tedium to get to the interesting stuff, then it's not really giving you content at all. You're being given chores.

Or, you can trade someone $120 in tokens to skip all that. Huh, that's not too different from the latest MMO cash shop strategies.
Kaios

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am

Kaios wrote:
VDZ wrote:It's not that bad. Fully casual play (the kind where sprucecaps don't have a palisade up even a week after starting) can be done on any schedule. Even more serious play can be feasibly done especially if you take some time off work near the start. You just can't stay competitive on the highest level unless you plan your life around the game, and you're pretty much locked out of a small handful of aspects of the game (notably taming and steelmaking), but you can generally make up for it via trade.

Disagree. How much of that stuff you're doing as a casual player is actual, fun content versus waiting for mechanics based around time gating. There's about 5% of the player base that actually manages to get in to anything related to PvP while 90% of the "content" is filler nonsense intended to slow down progression. If a game forces you to push through boring tedium to get to the interesting stuff, then it's not really giving you content at all. You're being given chores.

Why do you so badly want other people to hate the game as much as you do?

The game can easily be played casually and it's played casually by 100s of people every world.

PVP is 100% optional content and is in no way considered endgame, it's only done by a tiny amount of the playerbase.

It's like you are saying that WoW or any other big MMO is simply not good for a casual player because getting the best of the best stuff will be unobtainable. Isn't this actually something that should be praised? Haven, not unlike all MMOs lends itself to both the casual player and the hardcore nolifer because you can play the game at your own pace and don't need the best of the best stuff to play and enjoy the game but it's there if you want to play at a more hardcore level.

The main difference with Haven is that there is ofcourse the off chance that you can be raided or PVPd against your will in the wild, but even a dedicated player who is not PVP savvy deals with this stuff and is set back by it.

At the end of the day I think Haven is suited for practically any play style as long as you are okay with the idea of open world pvp.
Zentetsuken

Postby Kaios » Tue May 18, 2021 11:46 am

Zentetsuken wrote:It's like you are saying that WoW or any other big MMO is simply not good for a casual player because getting the best of the best stuff will be unobtainable. Isn't this actually something that should be praised? Haven, not unlike all MMOs lends itself to both the casual player and the hardcore nolifer because you can play the game at your own pace and don't need the best of the best stuff to play and enjoy the game but it's there if you want to play at a more hardcore level.

Except the same issues that plague World of Warcraft could just as easily be applied here which is exactly what I did. 90% boring filler nonsense meant to slow down one's progression towards the end-game pvp and dungeons with 10% being actual fun content (end-game content) while the majority of WoW players probably don't have any care to actually reach that end-game point and simply want to enjoy the game.

Zentetsuken wrote:Why do you so badly want other people to hate the game as much as you do?

what a terrible conclusion, plus everyone else in this thread has made statements about the game that are far more demeaning to it than what I just said but you're only focusing on my post because you can't stop having a hard on for me
Kaios

Postby Chevredoux93 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 pm

Never was a big boy or "no life" on this game, but played it since w3.

This world i decided to play on a different basis and a more casual style, with the main objective of not creating tasks that become a regular work to do (as farming for animals for exemple). I don't care quality, i don't care min/maxing everything. I play as a hermit explorer, and mostly boating around, getting natural curios, hunting. I build my base slowly, with the minimum of work i can.

For sure i'm not very advanced vs most playerbase, but still i progress, and the important thing is i'm playing and having fun, not working for a quality digit or stat digit to go higher the fastest way possible.

Last world i had a huge base i could maintain with a few hours a week. Compared to Legacy Days a lot of tedious work have been changed, and lot of little additions make it viable for casual players to get to a decent level, without botting and without alts. That's not the real problem for me, not as much as it was before. Nowadays the game is pretty good to play casually, without self-committing to boring and repetitive tasks, i enjoy it more than i thought.

What is hard or impossible for casual players like me is to PVP on a good level, wether i do my best or not. So if you don't plan to PVP and don't plan to compete on quality race ... you can play and enjoey the game at the pace you want, and get a lot of satisfactions. I would say, the good way to play is to not create frustrations with too-high expectations.

(sorry for my basic and bad english, hope this message is understood well)
Chevredoux93

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar