Finally. It's About F**king Time. (WEBB: 25 Dec 2021)

General discussion and socializing.

Finally. It's About F**king Time. (WEBB: 25 Dec 2021)

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:56 pm

"Development began in 1996 for a launch that was initially planned for 2007 and a 500-million-dollar budget" Yea, right. lol.

+14 years and +9.5 Billion dollars later.
NASA Statement on James Webb Space Telescope Launch Readiness

No backup, and still a lot that can go wrong on its way to its final operational state.
Last edited by mvgulik on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mvgulik

Re: Finally. It's About F**king Time.

Postby shubla » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Bunch of mirrors on top of Star Wars style spaceship ripoff? Not impressed!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:36 am

Willing to bet there's going to be some sort of engineering issue within the first few months of operation similar to Hubble. Been looking forward to this for 20 years myself. Still doesn't help solve the issue of "how to get to any place outside of orbit in less than a few months within our own system" or "how to get to anywhere interstellar in less than decades." But maybe we'll actually find someplace to go rather than a random crapshoot if that problem can be resolved.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:33 am

MagicManICT wrote:Willing to bet there's going to be some sort of engineering issue within the first few months of operation similar to Hubble.

There better not be. Considering its going to be parked at L2. I don't see a repair crew getting there anytime soon if need be.

ie: Whatever problems might arise. If they can't be solved with remote control/commands to Webb. Its kinda curtains for Webb (at least for a long time)
(remote controlled repair will have to be contend with at least a 2 * 5 seconds lag time)
---
Jun 3, 2021: Remains on schedule for a launch readiness date no earlier than Oct. 31, 2021.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
mvgulik

Re: Finally. It's About F**king Time. (WEBB: 18 December 202

Postby mvgulik » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm

Current target launch date: 18 December 2021.
(if its not hijacked by pirates on its way to the laugh location (oops). Yea, its transported by boat.)

Seems WEBB also has gotten its own (for the general public of course) web-space: https://webbtelescope.org/

Figure the launch is probably going to be in 2022. (2022-2-22 comes to mind. :) )

... 97% Of The Galaxies In Our Observable Universe Are Permanently Unreachable ... (without some functional warp drive technology that is)
mvgulik

Re: Finally. It's About F**king Time. (WEBB: 22 December 202

Postby mvgulik » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:31 am

A little hiccup pushed the planned launch date a few days off.
New date: 22 December 2021.

After launch, ... a lot of things have to work ... perfectly. Murphy! Take a break!

O yea. The telescope's nominal mission time is five years, with a goal of ten years.
It has fuel for ~13 years. After that's gone, its game over no matter what.
mvgulik

Postby Jalpha » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:49 pm

This will be the most stressful series of events in my life so far. I already have stomach ulcers and the JWST is not yet even mounted in its launching rocket.

I don't know if praying is an adequate term for regularly dropping onto my knees and smashing my head into the ground literally begging God for a successful launch and deployment.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:41 am

Its just some mirrors, why is it a big deal? Will we get cool pictures of other planets?
Aren't there even bigger mirror telescopes already? Though maybe atmosphere disturbs them a bit.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jordancoles » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:24 am

It's amazing to me how years of planning, money and effort goes into getting things like this into space and how a piece of space debris could just immediately bash into it and take the whole thing out
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:48 am

Shubla are you stupid (obvious response is yes).

This contraption will push back our perception of time itself and allow us to perceive the very beginning of the universe. Almost.

Never mind that it could have been built on the moon for one quarter of the cost sixty years ago. In a much more durable and reliable format. No never mind that.

The taxpayers funded NASA and its ongoing squandering of taxpayer financing and that's what truly matters.

Murica!
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar