Bitcraft list Haven in their Alpha survey

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Bitcraft list Haven in their Alpha survey

Postby Jalpha » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:43 pm

I doubt JoLo can afford a massive legal battle with some random USA company and Jorbs wife is not going to work for free so literally lol. Rage on fanfags. You gotta respect power lmfao.

Maybe I will apply for LOLs but with such an unstable life who knows if it would be worthwhile.

It's possible to create passive modes of territorial control so I'm interested to see how this will go as I favour (currently) an approach to domination which avoids conflict.

Not what I would create.

But hey it's a dog eat Dog world y'all and I'm drunk (again) no idea if this is a good post or NOT.

Peace. Out.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Southpaw » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

>haven in the survey
>wurm is not

MAD flex
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:32 pm

https://clockwork-labs.medium.com/our-thoughts-on-game-monetization-909976b5287d
They made a small writeup about monetization. Looks like it will be "free" with microtransactions. And they do not yet tell what the microtransactions will contain, which just adds the suspicion. (Of course, practically no information about what their gameplay will even be like has been given out)

Pity. Wished it was monthly subscription. Maybe with a free "trial" (lock character progression).
They list as reasons of why monthly subscription is bad for example that people who do not want to pay don't get to play the game. I don't understand how that is a problem.
Why do not luxury car companies have worries about people like me not willing to pay for their cars and thus not getting to drive them? When will I get free tesla driving with optional cosmetics if I don't want to pay for the car?

Well yes they mention community. But with f2p your community will fill up with trolls, chinese RMT bots and 8-year olds. Is that a good community? I'd rather take a smaller, bit more mature and refined community over some horde of screaming children.
There are many good MMORPG games which are pay to play with great communities. Like WOW, EVE online, wurm, though these days I think all of them even contain a trial to get a bit familiar before paying the 5 or whatever dollars, which locks you to some stats/progression, which is fair I think.

Not making pay to play games sounds to me like they are not really committed to making the greatest, long lasting, mmo ever, but just to grab some quick profits.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:44 pm

I should maybe add to the previous message that some have said that the biggest mistake EVE online did was not having microtransactions. If eve had microtransactions they could have made so much more money. They've recently been changing that, for example they have added "skill injectors" which allow you to basically buy skillpoints into your character for real money, while before this change the only way to get them was to just wait. (not perfect either) And trading PLEX for real money has also been a thing for a long time.

Luckily the game is still very much skill and strategy oriented, even if you bought the best ship and best skills you would still get your ass kicked if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby Southpaw » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:57 pm

shubla wrote:They list as reasons of why monthly subscription is bad for example that people who do not want to pay don't get to play the game. I don't understand how that is a problem.
Why do not luxury car companies have worries about people like me not willing to pay for their cars and thus not getting to drive them? When will I get free tesla driving with optional cosmetics if I don't want to pay for the car?

had to check the poster to see why this was such a pants-on-head retarded take. giving you access to an mmo doesn't cost nearly as much as elon musk handing you the keys to a cybertruck.

tbh i was kind of hoping it'd be a "drop x amount of money and never again" title to avoid the south american zerg that hits every free game's NA servers. subscriptions are a trashcan meme and should go the way of the dodo.

p.s. free game, sub game, or 10000$ one time purchase game, if the rmt market can squeeze people enough they'll still jam someone in a plaza and spam links to p2w-shop.com.tk

i just kind of feel like the "molded by people" aspect of the game will be severely lessened if the flood gates are absolutely wide open, i think one of the big reasons this game doesn't feel like a cesspool shithole is because population density hovers at the goldilocks zone for at least some point of time (before it becomes a ghost town)
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:15 am

https://clockwork-labs.medium.com/answers-from-the-developers-5f6dd3cb8c3b
Still no idea what kind of game it will be exactly. But I really like their approach to griefing wish some certain game had similar wise devs.
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:11 pm

shubla wrote:Still no idea what kind of game it will be exactly. But I really like their approach to griefing wish some certain game had similar wise devs.

It'll end up being solo instancing for building or there's no way to prevent griefing. Someone will get on and break the rules to the point that everyone else will give up, likely including the devs.... but maybe they'll find a niche success with a few thousand dedicated players.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
shubla wrote:Still no idea what kind of game it will be exactly. But I really like their approach to griefing wish some certain game had similar wise devs.

It'll end up being solo instancing for building or there's no way to prevent griefing. Someone will get on and break the rules to the point that everyone else will give up, likely including the devs.... but maybe they'll find a niche success with a few thousand dedicated players.

maybe the devs will listen to players for a change, and end up with a successful game and a nice community

hell, I even heard they actually bother to test stuff when they add it, which truly blows my mind
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am

MagicManICT wrote: maybe they'll find a niche success with a few thousand dedicated players.

They got millions of funding and 10's if not 100's of thousands people on their discord server, I don't think they will be satisfied with few thousand players or aiming for such low numbers especially with "free to play" concept.
maybe the devs will listen to players for a change, and end up with a successful game and a nice community

Time will tell. I think some kind of "pre alpha" has started already but it will probably take year(s) for the game to be released, in the best case.

I find it a bit amusing how they weigh in the fact about DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS. I guess that's how they got their funding. In the end there will likely just be some regions with hard cap on how many players can be on the same region. Its not like having one big world hosted on multiple servers would be anything new, at least EVE online works like that, with each star system hosted separately(with somewhat dynamic shifting around the servers), still within the one same big "world". And EVE has been existing for 20 years almost (though not sure if they used same idea for architecture from the beginning). I've never made an MMO so I don't know what kind of challenges there are precisely. But I don't see whats the difficult part in e.g. turning HnH like server into distributed system that could host million players simultaneously, given that there would be some kind of caps on players within some area/region. Most world data is quite local, character data is quite local to the part of world the character is in etc. transition between servers is maybe hardest part but I'm sure that there are some clever tricks for that.
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:44 am

shubla wrote:They got millions of funding and 10's if not 100's of thousands people on their discord server, I don't think they will be satisfied with few thousand players or aiming for such low numbers especially with "free to play" concept.

If pre-launch hype were any indicator of success, we'd all be playing Tabula Rasa today.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar