Bitcraft list Haven in their Alpha survey

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Bitcraft list Haven in their Alpha survey

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:26 pm

Zampfeo wrote:I'd like to see how they plan on fostering competition and politics without PVP. First impression is that territory control and politics won't be very interesting without the threat of war, but what I've found so far has been pretty vague.

It's possible. Other games have done so with mixed results.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:51 am

Devs should keep very close eye to that game. They seem to have some very similar aims as this game. No fast travel, player driven world with player made markets and such. Anti griefing mechanics especially.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Phaen » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:32 am

disallowing pvp doesn't prevent hostile construction, so I'm curious to see how that plays out
Phaen

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:41 am

Phaen wrote:disallowing pvp doesn't prevent hostile construction, so I'm curious to see how that plays out

Look up a game called wurm, no pvp, free building, no griefing problems really. You can claim areas but they cost money to maintain.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:45 pm

Just a random thought.

Considering Clockwork Labs raised $4.3M ... just for there BitCraft game it seems.
It stands to reason they (Clockwork Labs and/or there investors) might be somewhat protective about any new-IP for which they feel "they" created it.
That 'could' be a potential future problem for HnH (ie: development speed - slow vs fast).
As in "Any new features that HnH dev's might come up with, to add to there game ... can't be already be used by BitCraft".
(Not that features are ever comparable 1 on 1. But that generally don't seems to matter in such cases.)

The other way around seems somewhat of a none issue to me.

Time will tell.

[minor grammar fixes]
Last edited by mvgulik on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:04 pm

mvgulik wrote:Just a random thought.

Considering Clockwork Labs raises $4.3M ... just for there BitCraft game it seems.
It stands to reason they (Clockwork Labs and/or there investors) might be somewhat protective about any new-IP for which they feel "they" created.
That 'could' be a potential future problem for HnH (ie: development speed - slow vs fast).
As in "Any new features that HnH dev's might come up with, to add to there game ... can't be already be used by BitCraft".
(Not that features are ever comparable 1 on 1. But that generally don't seems to matter in such cases.)

The other way around seems somewhat of a none issue to me.

Time will tell.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... hen_is_it/

It is (fortunately or unfortunately) very hard to patent/copyright game design stuff. As noted in thread above, you can't directly copy-paste stuff like art from other game of course, they fall under same copyright as any image.

Admittedly it would be a bad PR move if BitCraft releases with some new and refreshing mechanic/thing and Jorb implements 1:1 copy of it into Haven.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:46 pm

vatas wrote:Admittedly it would be a bad PR move if BitCraft releases with some new and refreshing mechanic/thing and Jorb implements 1:1 copy of it into Haven.

has this been done with anything in Haven, though?

vatas wrote:It is (fortunately or unfortunately) very hard to patent/copyright game design stuff. As noted in thread above, you can't directly copy-paste stuff like art from other game of course, they fall under same copyright as any image.

Mythic was successful in defending a trademark for "Realm vs Realm" preventing anyone else from using it. It hasn't stopped anyone from developing a faction vs faction vs faction setup, just from using the trademarked phrase. (Seems like that was in the suit, but fuzzy memory and the years probably have me in the wrong here.)

As far as code, iD Software had always published source code for their games a few years after publishing. The Doom 3 code was held up because of a patent issue. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111 ... ject.shtml. Verant (later Sony Online Entertainment, Daybreak games) was sued over the development of Everquest for "copying" an existing closed-source MUD project.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:04 pm

I did not specify (and even potentially alluded this somehow would not be the case) but software code can of course be copyrighted. (Excluding some simple/core things, ie. you can't patent the software version of wheel.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Kitamie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:16 am

maze wrote:So a new MMO called bitcraft (https://bitcraftonline.com/) is looking for alpha players. In their survey of asking what games have you played; haven and hearth is listed as one of their chooses.
What makes me wonder, did one of their DEV's play haven?

Names that look familiar to me would be Tyler, Alessandro, Jinz, Mathias and Vi
Kitamie

Postby mvgulik » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 pm

mvgulik wrote:> Q: Will there be fast-travel?
> A: This will not be the kind of world where you can teleport wherever you want. We'll reveal more information on this in the future.

>> A+: ... This is not necessarily the exact same as "no fast travel", although it does embody that spirit.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar