Hiya Folks

General discussion and socializing.

Hiya Folks

Postby Projeear » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am

So I thought I'd give this game a go after all these years with a friend.

Found a spot, settled in, started building and gathering. Good (PTSD) memories, talking of old 4-hour speedboat chases, permadeath griefers, depantsing.

After one gathering session I ported back, and there are wolves at the door - literally. I just about make it running back into my timber house. I'm thinking they'll despawn/wander off after a little while - fair enough.

I alt+Tab onto something else for a quick minute, only to realise a moment later the wolves have destroyed our brand new house and I'm lying there KO like a dork.

You guys want to explain this sh*t to me?
Grand Walker of World 1 (w1).
Ex-Lawspeaker of New London, Deadwood and New Deadwood (w3).
Witness of the World 4 Great Explosion (w4).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Gregminster (w5).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Laketown (w6).
Squatter and Rebuilder of Templus Pacis (w6).
Hermit thereafter.
Lawspeaker of Tachbrookshire (Hafen 2)
Projeear

Re: Hiya Folks

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:33 am

Brief summary of " 3 little pigs" story.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Phaen » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 am

If you go inside a structure, the animals will attack it if the soak is low enough.

Newly built houses (and a few other things) have 0 soak when you first build them and gradually increase in soak over time until they reach the full soak value. It was implemented because of griefing or something.
Phaen

Postby Projeear » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:42 am

Phaen wrote:If you go inside a structure, the animals will attack it if the soak is low enough.

Newly built houses (and a few other things) have 0 soak when you first build them and gradually increase in soak over time until they reach the full soak value. It was implemented because of griefing or something.

I'm finding about 95% of the gameplay is layers on layers of anti-griefer and anti-bot countermeasures. It's fairly jarring.

Haven and Hearth 3 when?
Grand Walker of World 1 (w1).
Ex-Lawspeaker of New London, Deadwood and New Deadwood (w3).
Witness of the World 4 Great Explosion (w4).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Gregminster (w5).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Laketown (w6).
Squatter and Rebuilder of Templus Pacis (w6).
Hermit thereafter.
Lawspeaker of Tachbrookshire (Hafen 2)
Projeear

Postby Kearn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 pm

pretty similar to old haven in that anyone too close to a major settlement gets bulldozed and large areas of the world are consistently sparsely inhabited and more or less free of player interaction

cant say i feel too bad about the gradual implementation of more mechanics designed to prevent antisocial or uncounterable behavior

creatures generally now can break things so no more cheesing them with boulders or stick stockpiles

and hello if you remember me
Kearn

Postby abt79 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 pm

just dont start during winter, spring, or full moons bro. It’s totally reasonable and intuitive
abt79

Postby vatas » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:28 pm

Spitroasting fish is the best FEPs during the first days, if not weeks.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Vigilance » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:23 am

Projeear wrote:I'm finding about 95% of the gameplay is layers on layers of anti-griefer and anti-bot countermeasures. It's fairly jarring.

bad take detected wee woo wee woo, doesnt really feel like (to me) any more than legacy in terms of them getting in the way. especially in regards to things starting at no soak and building from there, excuse me while i drop a strongbox outside your front door or wall around you giving you about 3 minutes to catch me in the act of blocking your gates 8-)

Phaen wrote:If you go inside a structure, the animals will attack it if the soak is low enough.

phaen you described it like they're actively heat seeking the hearthling, you can especially use a burrow/no soak house/whatever etc without having the animal bash it, its just very inadvisable due to how finnicky it is and how you'd better fuckin pray the thing doesnt clip on the structure
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:27 am

I like the fact that someone can't drop an entire safe palisade next to my base while I'm asleep, idk why you think soak isn't nice.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Phaen » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:14 am

Vigilance wrote:phaen you described it like they're actively heat seeking the hearthling, you can especially use a burrow/no soak house/whatever etc without having the animal bash it, its just very inadvisable due to how finnicky it is and how you'd better fuckin pray the thing doesnt clip on the structure

Oh ok so they one bash it because it's blocking their pathing? I guess I learned something
Phaen

Return to The Inn of Brodgar