Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

Postby dafels » Thu May 12, 2022 10:39 am

I don't think lack of game content is at fault for the low player numbers at this point since it is normal for people to get bored of a game and quit and it would be very counter productive for devs to focus on keeping players locked in the game for months since it is not the only game out there.

This is more of a issue of failure of failing to attract new players. There might be several reasons - no marketing, the 3D in the game looks unappealing for the general population or the existing early game frustration and complexity and not refined basic game mechanics that make them quit on the first day when they try out the game. I think them focusing on refining the mechanics that are critical in the early game would help alot, but most of their dev time they just keep focusing on new things when the old is rarely updated. Not sure how spending months on developing things like AI voice chat tree conversations helps the numbers.
dafels

Postby PresqueVu » Thu May 12, 2022 11:44 am

If the devs had the playercount weighing in on their motivation for how to develop, Haven would be an entirely different game than it is today.

I don't think it is correct to call them happy, okay or satisfied with the player numbers, they are mostly completely indifferent to the player numbers and the last decade of development is all the proof anybody could ever need of this.
Join the Official Haven & Hearth Discord:
ImageImage
ImageImage
PresqueVu

Postby dafels » Thu May 12, 2022 12:09 pm

PresqueVu wrote:If the devs had the playercount weighing in on their motivation for how to develop, Haven would be an entirely different game than it is today.

Yes, Haven most likely is just a hobby project for them that earns them income aside from the wage job, don't think a large player count isn't more than anything more than just a nice to have, so they might not even care much about the player count when they are considering on what to focus the development next
dafels

Postby CorwinOfAmber » Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 pm

dafels wrote:There might be several reasons - no marketing, the 3D in the game looks unappealing for the general population or the existing early game frustration and complexity and not refined basic game mechanics that make them quit on the first day when they try out the game. I think them focusing on refining the mechanics that are critical in the early game would help alot, but most of their dev time they just keep focusing on new things when the old is rarely updated. Not sure how spending months on developing things like AI voice chat tree conversations helps the numbers.

this combined with some of the worst parts of the internet hang on here. some of the things said on this forum would make you think it was one of those creep chan sites or recruiting for tinfoil hat cults. Jorb lets it happen at this point so one is just left to guess if he's in support of such things or is that apathetic. either way, jorb bad man.
Loftar wrote:
Right, I realized that the other day but apparently forgot it as quickly again. Thanks!

Uephorias wrote:
And the game isn't dead, just on life support indefinitely
CorwinOfAmber

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu May 12, 2022 2:19 pm

PresqueVu wrote:they are mostly completely indifferent to the player numbers

You guys remember the time Jorbtar talked at length in an update about removing winter because empirical player activity charts straight up proved that it was making people quit in droves, then the few remaining players that didn't already quit because of winter convinced them not to.

Not a huge fan of speculating on other people's motivations, but pretty sure their failings have mostly been accidental. "It's just a social experiment, bro. They never even cared about being successful" is a "It's just a farmer alt" tier cope
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Low player count is a feature

Line go down good
DDDsDD999

Postby Halbertz » Thu May 12, 2022 3:02 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
PresqueVu wrote:they are mostly completely indifferent to the player numbers

You guys remember the time Jorbtar talked at length in an update about removing winter because empirical player activity charts straight up proved that it was making people quit in droves, then the few remaining players that didn't already quit because of winter convinced them not to.

I'm not VDZ, but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
Halbertz

Postby DonVelD » Thu May 12, 2022 5:08 pm

I wonder why the name Imageplayer populationImage got changed, probably part of the social experiment. :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby shubla » Thu May 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Devs arent interested about their players in general.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby pawnchito » Fri May 13, 2022 4:23 am

shubla wrote:Devs arent interested about their players in general.

Artists going to artist fans gonna simp.
pawnchito

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar