Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Are devs happy/okay/satisfied with the player numbers?

Postby Procne » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm

shubla wrote:
Procne wrote:But it doesn't really matter. If you currently removed the tokens then most traders would simply stop trading because, as you said yourself, there is nothing else worth accepting as a payment.

Tokens should still be removed because you never know. Devs can also think on what they coudla dd that would work as new, better currency or how to encourage trade in general.

Should anything be done?
People trade when both sides see some profit in the exchange. When what they get is more valuable than what they give plus the effort they spent on trading. Currently it seems only tokens are worth the effort. I assume that this bums the less established player who would want to buy some good quality stuff, and don't want to buy tokens. But the core of the issue seems not be lack of currency, or existence of tokens, but the fact those players have nothing to offer? Even if the currency was an issue, and token functioning as one, it would still be possible for said players to "buy" a token in game for services / items. But if noone wants to sell a token then doesn't it mean "I don't need anything"? It's not like the whole playerbase reverted to mercantilism, or is it?
Procne

Postby telum12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:48 pm

Ye there’s very few things that are actually useful that are worth the effort of trading for, especially given how hard it is to trade. Your time is better spent just grinding whatever it is you need instead of trying to manage a market.

Tldr bring back the tp things
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 pm

I played the first two months of this world and then quit, and it's exactly what I plan to do every future world reset. Obviously I can't know why everyone else who plays like this does so, but I have a hunch that my reasons aren't exactly uncommon. Basically IMO H&H has amazing content but horrible mechanics. By horrible mechanics I mainly mean progressions in both quality and stats, as well as the nearly non-existent PvP. Trade being 95% RMT via tokens doesn't help, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other two issues.

Progression basically boils down to repeating the same content ad infinitum. It doesn't matter how good the content is, everything gets tedious when you grind it forever. And the worst part is that you can't even take a break because you'll either fall behind and won't be able to catch up without spending RL money, or even worse your previous progress will be completely erased because your animals will starve. The same problem of having to buy progress comes up if you're joining the game late into a world. I refuse on principle to play P2W games, and I'm sure lots of other potential players feel the same. And even if there was no RMT at all (good luck preventing that) and all the progress buying was done with in-game items, buying progress simply isn't satisfying at all. The alternative to buying progress is joining people that have high qualities, but that's not really viable because not only are they highly unlikely to take you in due to justified fear of getting insided, but also because the people who have that tend to be sweaty autists so playing with them is thoroughly unenjoyable.

The main issue with PvP like I said is that it's nearly non-existent, so even if you do grind up good stats and qualities there isn't any real use for them. Reasons why PvP doesn't happen are manifold. The main one I think is that there isn't any real reason to do it, the only thing you can get out of it is the salt from your victims and that's just not all that appealing to well-adjusted human beings. You're not going to get any meaningful progress from killing people or raiding bases, even though the targets of a successful raid will lose all of their progress (and thus most likely quit until the next reset). Another reason is that the barrier to entry into PvP is too high due to the progression systems, and it only gets higher as the world ages due to stat and quality inflation. And what makes this even worse is the performance issues that plague both the server and the client. Any large fight turns into a lagfest because the client can't handle it, but even in a 1v1 you can easily lose due to the frequent server-side lag. The frustration of the loss to lag is only compounded by the high time investment required to start PvP-ing. This is largely an issue because PvP is so timing sensitive despite being card-based like a turn-based game. Which is another reason why PvP sucks, it's a jumble of turn-based and real-time mechanics that just doesn't feel right.

IMO fixing these issues would require an almost complete overhaul of the game mechanics that would be vehemently opposed by both the devs and the small amount of players who stay this late into the world. So it's a safe assumption that it'll never happen, so I will just keep on playing just the first month or two of a world reset. As for my "infinite progression, open PvP, permadeath - pick just two" mantra goes, I'd love to see the infinite progression being the one that gets the axe, but it's clear that the devs prefer axing permadeath and that just doesn't work for me personally. If it was up to me I'd completely remove quality and stats, and replace this investment with investment into equipment and temporary buffs from food and other consumables. This would give an actual reason to PvP as you could get useful gear from it rather than a q50 sword that's utterly useless because you can easily mass produce higher quality swords. And I would make siege more accessible by removing the ridiculous time requirements for babysitting rams and catapults and instead move the grind into obtaining consumables that need to be used to execute a siege. The risk in siege should be losing these siege consumables to third party PvP-ers countering your siege. Rust does this really well with the explosives announcing to basically the whole server that you're raiding which draws tons of counters to try and take your boom. In Haven with it's tiny render distance and a huge map, it's pretty much impossible for these third parties to catch you with your pants down and take your siege resources even if there were siege resources to take. And making successful raids on bases like this wouldn't be so bad for the target if there was no quality or stats, as they could easily rebuild after getting raided. And finally I would completely revamp the combat system, if it's going to be real-time just completely remove shit that's typically used in turn-based games (ie cards), and fix the damn lag so we can have smooth real-time combat. I think Salem combat was good in theory, just the implementation was bad so it felt like fighting in molasses.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Procne wrote:
shubla wrote:
Procne wrote:But it doesn't really matter. If you currently removed the tokens then most traders would simply stop trading because, as you said yourself, there is nothing else worth accepting as a payment.

Tokens should still be removed because you never know. Devs can also think on what they coudla dd that would work as new, better currency or how to encourage trade in general.

Should anything be done?
People trade when both sides see some profit in the exchange. When what they get is more valuable than what they give plus the effort they spent on trading. Currently it seems only tokens are worth the effort. I assume that this bums the less established player who would want to buy some good quality stuff, and don't want to buy tokens. But the core of the issue seems not be lack of currency, or existence of tokens, but the fact those players have nothing to offer?

This ^
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Motivation to think of items that players could offer is small when you can just ask for tokens.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:31 pm

Potjeh wrote:I played the first two months of this world and then quit, and it's exactly what I plan to do every future world reset. Obviously I can't know why everyone else who plays like this does so, but I have a hunch that my reasons aren't exactly uncommon. Basically IMO H&H has amazing content but horrible mechanics. By horrible mechanics I mainly mean progressions in both quality and stats, as well as the nearly non-existent PvP. Trade being 95% RMT via tokens doesn't help, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the other two issues.

Progression basically boils down to repeating the same content ad infinitum. It doesn't matter how good the content is, everything gets tedious when you grind it forever. And the worst part is that you can't even take a break because you'll either fall behind and won't be able to catch up without spending RL money, or even worse your previous progress will be completely erased because your animals will starve. The same problem of having to buy progress comes up if you're joining the game late into a world. I refuse on principle to play P2W games, and I'm sure lots of other potential players feel the same. And even if there was no RMT at all (good luck preventing that) and all the progress buying was done with in-game items, buying progress simply isn't satisfying at all. The alternative to buying progress is joining people that have high qualities, but that's not really viable because not only are they highly unlikely to take you in due to justified fear of getting insided, but also because the people who have that tend to be sweaty autists so playing with them is thoroughly unenjoyable.

The main issue with PvP like I said is that it's nearly non-existent, so even if you do grind up good stats and qualities there isn't any real use for them. Reasons why PvP doesn't happen are manifold. The main one I think is that there isn't any real reason to do it, the only thing you can get out of it is the salt from your victims and that's just not all that appealing to well-adjusted human beings. You're not going to get any meaningful progress from killing people or raiding bases, even though the targets of a successful raid will lose all of their progress (and thus most likely quit until the next reset). Another reason is that the barrier to entry into PvP is too high due to the progression systems, and it only gets higher as the world ages due to stat and quality inflation. And what makes this even worse is the performance issues that plague both the server and the client. Any large fight turns into a lagfest because the client can't handle it, but even in a 1v1 you can easily lose due to the frequent server-side lag. The frustration of the loss to lag is only compounded by the high time investment required to start PvP-ing. This is largely an issue because PvP is so timing sensitive despite being card-based like a turn-based game. Which is another reason why PvP sucks, it's a jumble of turn-based and real-time mechanics that just doesn't feel right.

IMO fixing these issues would require an almost complete overhaul of the game mechanics that would be vehemently opposed by both the devs and the small amount of players who stay this late into the world. So it's a safe assumption that it'll never happen, so I will just keep on playing just the first month or two of a world reset. As for my "infinite progression, open PvP, permadeath - pick just two" mantra goes, I'd love to see the infinite progression being the one that gets the axe, but it's clear that the devs prefer axing permadeath and that just doesn't work for me personally. If it was up to me I'd completely remove quality and stats, and replace this investment with investment into equipment and temporary buffs from food and other consumables. This would give an actual reason to PvP as you could get useful gear from it rather than a q50 sword that's utterly useless because you can easily mass produce higher quality swords. And I would make siege more accessible by removing the ridiculous time requirements for babysitting rams and catapults and instead move the grind into obtaining consumables that need to be used to execute a siege. The risk in siege should be losing these siege consumables to third party PvP-ers countering your siege. Rust does this really well with the explosives announcing to basically the whole server that you're raiding which draws tons of counters to try and take your boom. In Haven with it's tiny render distance and a huge map, it's pretty much impossible for these third parties to catch you with your pants down and take your siege resources even if there were siege resources to take. And making successful raids on bases like this wouldn't be so bad for the target if there was no quality or stats, as they could easily rebuild after getting raided. And finally I would completely revamp the combat system, if it's going to be real-time just completely remove shit that's typically used in turn-based games (ie cards), and fix the damn lag so we can have smooth real-time combat. I think Salem combat was good in theory, just the implementation was bad so it felt like fighting in molasses.

imo this is a really good post. I'm not sure if I 100% agree on the no stats part but I really hated it when qualities were introduced in w2, made the game unnecessairly complicated and tedious and I just joined back playing when some buddy wrote me in Skype that he somehow got some busted equipment then pushed stats for 2 weeks, went on a killing spree, back then you got murdered for that one way or the other and then quit :D

edit: and also kinda disagree with not getting progress via raiding etc. it obviously depends where you are at. I basically started late and got almost all my progress from raiding other bases/ abndoned places (obviously not so common early world) but I got quite lucky and picked up a lot of good shit and tons of meat that would have taken me months to grow myself.
Pommfritz

Postby Ailaa » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:34 am

I love Haven and Hearth, it's one of the best games out there. So good job both Jorb and Loftar!
...but, i only play a couple of weeks every reset.
Now why do i do that? Because i am a competitive player, and i have a job.

The grind is to big, and i just get a feeling of falling behind. But IRL stuff has to come first.
So i enjoy the initial thrill at the start of each reset, and then i simply abandon.
That's atleast my reason, i'm sure they are different from player to player.
Ailaa

Postby guterpop » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 am

As someone who was on the younger side when I started to play this game iv noticed a lot more problems that have kept me from playing till a world reset or for long parts of time.

Being a new player is way too hard or being a hermit even. Trying to play this game alone is like walking on a dagger, and I can't find people to play with as well since everyone I tried to show the game to said one of 3 things.
1. It's to grindey
I can agree with that point somewhat but the early game feels almost like the right amount of grind that feels fun while later on when I made it their things took way too long to be worth doing or I would have no time to do it, I spent around one IRL week finding metal and then I found that metal was already being dug up by a group of 4 making me have to turn and hunt down a new source. Tho that is a problem more to W13 rn where metal feels way too hard to find
2. The game's mechanics feel awful
I can't agree with this one as much as I feel the mechanics of this game are mostly fine, combat sucks and its way too complex for new players, however many things did not feel hard to learn after I quick look on the wiki or after joining with a small group for my 1st time playing.
3. This game looks awful
This one came from a friend I still talk to and to that I can kinda agree? It does not look that good and the UI with the camera makes this game look even worse. I wish there was a different mood to put your camera into so you could maybe get nice screenshots or make playing it look better. Other than that the UI needs a complete overhaul IMO but it is probably hard with how having more than 8 people in an area makes the game lag as if that was already not a problem.

These are at least some of the things iv heard people complain about when I showed them the game I like, I can get over the grind but the looks of the game and how long the grind can take with no real payoff, in the end, makes people turn away or even quit too soon... Like I have now after trying to tame animals but cowering in my base after seeing people with metal equipment show up that I knew I could not beet with their bots that made it so they would just kill me in seconds. (Basically makes it better for the common person to play or keep a level playing field so the person that didn't make 12 bots can fight just as well as the one who did for their stuff.)
guterpop

Postby GamingRAM » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 am

I quit day 1 of this world, I realized I've done the bulk of the content and the grind doesn't offer anything new to me.

Lots of people say the game is to grindy and it's hard to be competitive, and that's true, but I also see that a lot of people drop out after a few months. After a certain point, the numbers don't mean anything anymore outside of PvP.

I'm going to compare the grind to Runescape, an argueably even more grindy game and why people keep playing that game.

It's because there are milestones. The milestones in Haven stop fairly early on. Think about it, in Runescape in all skills unlock you some kind of new content with most levels. You start off fishing shrimp, then you eventually upgrade to trout, salmon, at some point lobsters and swordfish, and then to sharks and even some foods only found in dangerous places. Combat skills in Runescape don't only give you better numbers, they also let you equip new weaponry that couldn't before, same thing for armor. Quests in Runescape are often locked behind skill requirements, and completing these quests can reward you with access to new equipment, areas, spells, methods of transportation, etc. If you max out a skill in Runescape, you can get a Skill Cape to show off, and they aren't all just for show either, some provide you with buffs such an extra pocket space for a Pestle and Mortar or a new area. And even then if you manage to max out every skill in the game there's still more, you can pray to the RNG gods for cosmetic pets from boss fights, complete treasure hunts, participate in mini-games, and more.

In contrast, Haven's milestones come to a crawl after a few weeks.
When you spawn in your first "big" accomplishment is going to be getting a bone saw. (I'm cutting out stone axe because rocks and sticks are EVERYWHERE, it's not a sigh of relief or an achievement worth mentioning). The bone saw unlocks you so much, quality of life and furniture. This gets you the bucket(10L of water compared to the crappy .4L a wooden cup provides), a table you can eat at, the ability to spawn in others, and even a house if you're crazy enough.
Your second big achievement will likely be the Canoe, this gives you faster and safer transporation, also a big quality of life to increase your foraging, it also gives you access to new areas.
Afterwards it comes down to these:
- Animal Hides and Leather. (Leather Backpack, Waterskin, Bow, Fishing Rod and Walls, providing QoL (inventory), hunting, fishing, and safety).
- Farming (Unlocks reliable food and string sources).
- Tar Kilns (Coal for smithing for later, but namely gives you a better boat).

A week or two later the milestones become these:
- Getting a bat cape (makes going into caves easier and safer)
- Killing your first bear (optional but really helpful for mining)
- Getting your first metals and hard metals. (HUGE upgrades: QoL (Metal Axe, Spectacles, better table stuffs, a village if you want, and the Knarr which gives you access to the rest of the world).
- Animal Taming (optional, actually not needed but helpful, especially horses).

And then after that, there's not much that really opens the rest of the game for you....
You can:
- Get silk, a merchant's robe is a nice QoL.
- Gold and Silver, which are nice but not really needed.
- A trollbelt, which is a nice upgrade, but also not needed.
- Kill some Orcas and Whales, but not really "needed".
- Maybe kill a Mammoth?

But getting metal is really the final milestone of unlocking meaningful content, which even for a newbie's first time playing, and solo, can be done within a month or two (aside from learning from the wikis, newbies take longer because of being punished by FEP and not knowing what to put LP into, they need INT, PER, STR, and Exploration and Survival).

You can get better gear for your gilding sets so you can do bigger numbers for things, but that's really all they are, just bigger numbers, they don't contribute much. With the Knarr you don't get access to new unique biomes that are normally out of reach, the otherside of the world is the same. You can find some new things via foraging, but most of the later things you find aren't that useful or can be potted(farmed).

I think the game's current progression could be stretched out more and then filled in a bit.
The jump from caveman to the iron age is a bit to short if you ask me. (seriously, add my suggestion for the Antler Pickaxe or something similar).
People don't use bronze long enough, I think iron should be considered put down to level 2 underground. In addition to this, add a bronze axe as an inbetween from stone and hard metal axe.
Add some kind of overworld needed item or barrier preventing access to the next level of mines. Like..... beating an Ant Hill dungeon will give you the meta-physical strength (or an item needed for the recipe) to dig to level 3. Level 4 could be unlocked via the Bat Dungeon. Yes this is very a gamey thing to do, but I think it's a better idea than treating it as a grindy job. (And other games do this all the time anyways, like Valheim or Terraria, it works).
Add snowy biomes to the far north and south, this way we can keep "winter" in the game without completely gutting it (also gives the Knarr another use). Also have mountains and snowy biomes have some requirements to enter them. You could have temperature timers that when reaching 0, the player starts taking damage. The timer's cap can be increased by the type of clothing you wear, it can stopped or restored by getting shelter, staying near a fire, or drinking special drinks.
Different Hearth Magics could be unlocked by completing certain tasks, such as Dungeons, Credoes, normal quest givers.

The point I'm trying to make is there aren't enough meaningful milestones in this game, and the ones that do exist are very quick to achieve (2 weeks to a month). Players should feel incentivized to unlock new CONTENT and not just to get bigger numbers.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby shubla » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm

GamingRAM wrote:I
It's because there are milestones.

Expanding v-claim initial with flax and hemp is also one big, annoying, mandatory grindy and slow milestone in the beginning. You have to live with partial village for long time or use the unclaimed parts which sucks.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar